• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes eotech or aimpoint

sprints54

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2006
el paso tx
just lookin on someones opion about which is better I've only had expierences with a M68, I'm also looking at getting the magnifier to go along with to add some reach/ targete identifacation. before someone recomends an acog I dont like them cuz they suck for close quarters and am not a fan of the leuapold I currently am issued (it's broke no up down movement)

Re: eotech or aimpoint

I have the Aimpoint M4s on a Bobro QD mount and the Aimpoint 3xMagnifier on a Larue Pivot mount. My favorite combo to date and I tried pretty much everything.

I like both. I've used the issued M68 and carried an eotech for a couple oversea tours. But I now have the Aimpoint T1 and won't go back to anything else. Also there have been some problems with the EOTech shitting under combat conditions.

Pat Rogers will chunk his T1s across the room, let them smack the wall and hit the floor. They still work with no issues.

My vote the Aimpoint.

I prefer eotechs if it's a completely CQB environment. If you're running into indoor and outdoor shooting, then I give the nod to the aimpoint. It's almost as good as the eotech for CQB and, IMO, much better for aimed hits on ranged targets than the eo.

EO Tech are the big name right now and you see them in all the cool guy pix... But like Koz said they have had some problems... I would go Aimpoint.

Aimpoint has better battery life, since it uses an LED vs the Eotech's laser. IN MY EXPERIENCE, and some will argue, the Eotech is faster for very fast shooting at close targets from the low ready, with the big circle you never even have to find the center dot. I have an Eotech on my AR, but would like to get an Aimpoint for another project where the light weight would be beneficial. BTW, my instructor switched from all Eotechs to Aimpoints on his rifles, and says that he's slowed down just a little.

From what I've heard, most of the Eotech problems were pre- Revision F, but I don't know that for fact.

I have 2 EOTechs and have been quite pleased wih them. No problems from me.

Right now I'm in Iraq chillin at a FOb not doin my job but I'm in the process of reuppin to go to a real unit(101st)for a real deployment(afganistan). The unit I'm in now is relaxed a little bit when it comes to personalizin your kit as long as its approved you can buy your own optics and use them provided they are on the army's approved list. I heard eotech's wheren't allowed anymore cuz they tend to cut off in the middle of combat and the m68 is what I've trained with so basically I'm lookin for something I can shoot with when I'm back in the states and take on next deployment that I can add a magnififer to.

There are 2X, and 3X Trijicons out there, they all aren't 4X. have a 2X that is fast, and several of the local SWAT guys have them, but the T-1 is hard to beat. Good luck, J

No question..Aimpoint is the way to go.

I have both and the Eotech has shut down during engagement exercises and has shown itself to be subject to malfunction with temperature extreems.

The T1 is very good.

I like my Eotech. I have also never heard a bad thing about the Aimpoint M4. See if you can find a shop or a buddy, that will let you shoot theirs before buying. I do believe the Eotech has faster target acquisition, but I am sure that is a personal preference issue. There are no doubt people who will out shoot me with accuracy and speed with an Aimpoint, its all about the practice.

However, you definitely want to take a look through a set up with the magnifier. I was talked out of one, because not only does it magnify your target, but it also magnifies your reticle. Could be total BS, I never actually looked through it.

Aimpoint. I went with the M3 b/c of the 2 MOA option that the M2 doesn't offer in a 1x, and on a LaRue, it sits up a bit higher than the M4 which is personally more comfortable for me. M4 is nice, but it's also more $.

The M3 is on top of an AR10, and I've had no trouble with additional recoil, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer eotechs if it's a completely CQB environment. If you're running into indoor and outdoor shooting, then I give the nod to the aimpoint. It's almost as good as the eotech for CQB and, IMO, much better for aimed hits on ranged targets than the eo.</div></div>

I think this is a really good assessment. I've used a few Eotechs on other people's rifles, but own an Aimpoint H-1 myself.

Beware...using a multiplier does in fact multipy the reticle. This was the exact discussion that stopped this set up from happening on some government rifles.

I've always been partial to EOTech's and on the 557 models, there is a BDC for 0-300, 400, 500, and 600 yards. Works well with the magnifiers since the dots are pretty small without them. Also, the 3x magnifier is the way to go. It is actually a 3.25x magnification while the 4x magnifier is only 3.75. The extra couple hundred dollars spent on the 4x isn't worth the extra .5 mag in my opinion...

I have the Aimpoint M4s on the factory base. It is currently sitting on my short barreled AR.

I leave the reticle on all the time and have only had to change the battery once since I have owned it. I got it last year used on another forum.

A point was well made, I personally think an Eotech is better suited in a totally Urban environment. Both scopes have their advantages and disadvantages, a Trijicon 2x24 or 3x30 may be a better option giving you a little magnification and target identification without having to use a 3x magnifier, just less thing to go wrong.
Good luck and be safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saber Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beware...using a multiplier does in fact multipy the reticle. This was the exact discussion that stopped this set up from happening on some government rifles.
</div></div>

The magnifier magnifies the reticle and the target. It is like having a Front Focal Plane scope. It is the only way that it will work because the magnifier has to be place behind the aimpoint/eotech.

I think the Eotech allows faster target acquisition for me. The Aimpoint seems a little more rugged and dependable. If it was going on a weapon my life depended on, I would go with the Aimpoint.

I'm a die hard Aimpoint user. I just think it's more reliable. I've seen a couple of eotechs crap out at a carbine course in the rain. Personally, just at the range I've seen a bunch of eotechs fail because of battery connection issues. One got all melty in the battery compartment. I think the new design that flips the batteries out of line of recoil probably fixed this.

The simple reddot is easy. Just put the dot on the target and shoot. Anything within 200yds is an easy hit. (With 50yd zero.) I really like using mine in combination with the matech iron sight. Seems to really give the eye a good reference point for holding over. Also cuts down on any fuzzyness of the dot.

Durability & battery life are all-important to me: Aimpoint all the way. I also like the "ghost ring" that an Aimpoint tube provides. If you think the aimpoint tube gets in the way, either get a Micro sight or simply mount the Aimpoint farther forward.

I've got an EO-Tech 552 and it has never given me any problems. Brought it over to the ghan my first trip over for 15 months and it's still with me for round too. Shot it in the middle of the afghan summer shot it in the snow in Virginia and still haven't had any problems with it at all. My preference is with the EO-tech. Granted I have a tendency to dislike aimpoints due to the fact my platoon has more of them that don't work for one reason or another than do work. If you get a chance you might want to shoot the ACOG a little bit more before you decide you don't like it for CQB. I took me a while before I got used to it but it does work quite well indoors once you get your muscle memory programed in. Try keeping both eyes open as well as feeling out an altered cheek to stock weld. I did it with my EO-tech and it ended up working out great for me. Good luck and stay safe.

I have used both, to punch paper in simulated cqb, I ended up liking the Eotech better, I felt It was much easier to acquire the target and put lead on target with both eyes open. For me since the bulk of the optic is not on the sides of the optic the sight almost disapears just leaving the halo sight visible. (if that makes sense) The aimpoint is a little beefer so that might be why it seemed more like a scope than a "HUD" type reticle. I had no issues with either, I would say that just holding them together the Aimpoint gives the appearance that you could throw it around with no worries of damaging it, Were as the Eotech seems a little less durable. "I am just basing it upon feel, no real life combat experience" Hope this helps

I have a bunch of Aimpoints, I have shot with EoTechs, and I love the simplicity and durability of the Aimpoints. I think the bottom line for me is that the US Army did more testing than I ever could and selected Aimpoint. Also, there is no competing with all of the user feedback and evolution Aimpoints have gone through from having so many sights downrange.

The Marine Corps did more testing than I ever could, and went with Trijicon, so perhaps the choices are not limited to Aimpoint and Eotech.

As far as the ACOG sucking in CQB, it doesn't - if you go to the trouble to learn to properly use the Bindon Aiming Concept. But, as the name Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight implies, that's an advanced skill. Beginners and amateurs might be better off with an unmagnified optic.