• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes EoTech or Aimpoint?

ak0prter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
TX
Im sure this has been discussed before, but my lack of skill in searching the hide found it.

I have been looking at red dot sights for my AR for a while now and Im just trying to get all the pros and cons out on the table. Let me know if I missed anything or if you have had any issues in the past or tips for my future.

They both come with NVD setting, and they are both red dot sights with different brightness settings. I plan on getting a magnifier soon to acompany the sight, and eventually a PVS-14 hopefully. I have been told that the aimpoint is a little more restrictive for follow up shots or moving to new targets then the eotech. I have only used eotechs and know that when you look through the magnifier they have a ring around the dot, and the aimpoint dosnt have that feture. But other then pretty much a different shape and different batteries whats the real differeance?

Thanks for the help,
Sean

Re: EoTech or Aimpoint?

EoTech and Aimpoint are both good optics. I prefer the ML3 but if your going to use a magnifier the size of the dot with the Aimpoint will be at least 6 moa or larger depending on which you initially choose. There for I'd go with the 1 MOA EoTech.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EoTech and Aimpoint are both good optics. I prefer the ML3 but if your going to use a magnifier the size of the dot with the Aimpoint will be at least 6 moa or larger depending on which you initially choose. There for I'd go with the 1 MOA EoTech. </div></div>

The magnifier does not change the relative size of the dot. A 4moa dot will still be 4moa with the magnifier, and so on.

personally prefer aimpoint, maybe cause been using one at work for 10 years, but its all personal preference, cant go wrong with either, some guys like eotech, some like aimpoint. What'd be best is if you could get your hands on both and side by side, better if you can actually speed fire both and make the call

I personally like the EOTECH for the simple fact that it is easier to pick up the larger reticle in CQB type shooting,the holgraphic sight can be viewed at any angle and as long as you can see the reticle and put it on target you can hit it, and has given me a bit more field of view than the AIMPOINT, especially when using my PVS-14s.. downside is it seems as if the center dot is not as clear as the Aimpoint...(through nvgs)I either get the light to dim to pick up quickly or to bright and becomes fuzzy.. But IMO I prefer the EOTECH over the AIMPOINT. Trial and error...

Aimpoint T1's for me. Battery last forever and they are built like a tank. I think the dot size is really a lot of chatter about nothing. For the intended use the 4moa dot works fine for me out to 500+ yds and it is extremely fast inside 100. I also use them on my AK's and use a 3X behind one without any issue.

I use Eotechs... Easier to pick up the dot and the 1 MOA is nice. If you do go with Aimpoint get the 2 MOA because the brighter you make it the bigger the dot gets (i.e. with the 2 MOA version on a bright setting, it will look like a 4 MOA dot)

While using both, I prefer the Eotech. I find that engaging multiple threats is faster due to the 65 moa circle around the 1 moa dot. Both have pros and cons but it all depends on your needs. I'm not worried about battery life since I'm CONUS and can go to the store and get new ones or keep some in my bag. OCONUS work, batteries may be difficult to find depending on your AO.

I have vision problems and don't always wear my glasses. Because of this, I get a lot of "bloom" from the EOTech reticles. I don't know if it's holographic specific or what. I run Aimpoint and have no problem. My next rifle will likely run an M4S or I may decide to try the EOTech XPS. If I wear my glasses, then I'm just fine with the EOTechs. The XPS series is by far the ideal series to get. Either a 3-0 or 2-0.

How fast you are with an optic is all about training. I am extremely fast with my T-1, and I've previously run an M3 and that was faster yet due to the larger tube. The M4S should be even quicker. I'm sure that EOTechs are great and very quick, and really there's no one simple answer to your quandary. In the end, it's all about options and reticles.
I personally like a battery that will last for 5 years, but 600hrs on one CR123A battery for the XPS is pretty good too; especially when I consider that I go through one CR123A battery every 2 hours on my pistol light at work.

If you go with the eotech I would stay away from the AA battery models as I have seen lots of issues with the batteries leaking and messing up the connection therefore the sight not working