• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Eotech Question

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
I just got a Eotech today, mounted it, and took it to the range. WOW, this thing is great. I put a zero on at 25 yards and it was shooting one ragged hole. Ok move out to 100 yards, nice slow fire and I was hitting about 12 inch high. Am i missing something, should it only be about 3 inch high? or am i just high?

Re: Eotech Question

No expert...but I would make sure I was using the same ammo then I would have some one else zero the site and check it out at 25 50 and 100.

A 25 yard zero will have POI at 300 yards. Meaning in between those distances you will be high, at 100 would be an extreme high arc of the curve.

What you want to do is zero your Eotech at 50 yards, you will have POI at 200 yards and still be high at ranges in between but nowhere near 12 inches high.

my duty weapon is zeroed at 50yd and it hits pretty much whatever I want from 10ft (mind the mechanical offset there) out to just over 100yd. Best CQB site on the market in my opinion but if you're looking for tight groups around 100yd I would think the Aimpoint or ACOG would be a better choice. Can't beat that EOTech in the shoothouse though.....

THx LT, no i was wondering why it was so high at 100 with a 25 zero, I need to set a 50 to see what we are looking at.

The responses so far are on track in theory, but a 25 yard zero WILL NOT produce 12 inch high groups at 100 yards unless you have a very high spacer/mount for your EoTech.

It sounds like there is something else going on.

What is it mounted on? How is it mounted?

BTW, +1 for the 50-200 yard zero. It's a very useful zero for most people's needs.

I checked the trajectories with a 25 yard zero and I used a 2.6-3" sight height and you should be 6-7" high at 100 yards with a 25 yard zero. I recommend a 100 or 50 yard zero with an EOTech. I prefer the 100 yard zero, especially if you are only shooting out to 200 yards max. I like the simplicity of the 100 yard zero as it only has holdovers.

you should read the manual. they will show you how to zero in your eotech and from the distances..

+1 to what everyone else said, zero it at 50 or 100 and your problem will probably go away. Maybe you were slightly closer than 25 meters and this is why it was hitting 12" high?

Only point I'd add is if you are stuck with a 25 meter range and need to get a rough zero, set your sights to hit about 2 3/4" low in order to have POA/POI be "roughly" the same at 50 or 100. This is rough but will get you in the ballpark. Same with iron sights, scopes, etc.

Kinda nice to start zeroing at 25 and making sure you're on paper before wasting ammo at 50 or 100.

I zero all my optics for 223, 308, 30-06 etc 2.5" low at 25 yards. That will put you about 2+ inches high at 100 yards depending on velocity of the round you are firing. It's worked for me for 30 years. In fact I just got thru zeroing an EoTech 552 using that method.