• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Equation used by Leupold's "True Ballistic Range"

ctressler

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
Does anybody know the equation or method used by Leupold to get their "True Ballistic Range" as measured by their range finders?

There must be a little more to it than the horizontal distance to the target, as they report the "True Ballistic Range" of a 400 yard target at 40 degrees is 335 yards, and the "True Ballistic Range" of a 40 yard target at -40 degrees is 34 yards.

It would appear that they are using the Tangent function to get these results which makes no sense.

Re: Equation used by Leupold's "True Ballistic Range"

I have no idea what leupold uses, but based on what I learned in school:

if you measure 400yds @ 40 degrees

cosine 40 = true range divided by laser range

so we can basically say
True range = cosine 40 * laser range

which comes out to be about 306 yards. To get your range of 335 you would be shooting about a 33 degree angle

They are probably using Sierra's angle formula (which works really well BTW).

Cheers,

Doc

They are using the sierra method (I confirmed this with the designer, Bill McDonald, also designer of the sierra infinity program), BUT if you want the ultimate accuracy at long range the ballistic profile of your load must match the selected one closely or you'll still get significant errors at long range.

To see the sierra method, and the comparison with other methods:

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/article1.html

I've read the paper and I don't think it presents the "Serria Method" that Leupold is using, since the Leupold range finder reading does not take into account bullet drop. What is the Serria Method without using bullet drop?

You have to select a certain bullet trajectory profile, and this of course includes bullet drop.

Like I said, I personally checked this with the designer...