• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Equip yourself to survive!

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
I figure this is probably about a good a place as any to post this.

It's tax return time and everyone is looking for new shiny doo-dads for their rifle and gear. Maybe a few of you are even looking for some training classes to take.

Let me suggest that you look into an investment that will be priceless if you ever have to use it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">
SEEK MEDICAL TRAINING</span>

Many of us love the outdoors as much as shooting sports. By necessity it places us away from care if we are injured. Many of us take family and friends with us. This also places them at risk of injury.

I have the benefit of basic combat medical training from my military career and from law enforcement service. Every chance I get I take more training. I don't ever plan on being a doctor, nurse or even an EMT, but I realize that things happen that are beyond our control. I have had several instances in the line of duty where I had to provide care for seriously injured people until the pros could take over. Some lived, some died.

It never occurred to me that I would have to use my training for my own family. I type this from the Pediatric ICU at my local hospital. Yesterday my eight year old son was involved in a bad bicycle crash at a campground in a small town. He misjudged a trail, lost control on a hill and went down a ravine. He was wearing his helmet (which was cracked) but landed on some downed limbs. These caught his arm and twisted it backwards and underneath him causing a transverse compound fracture to his humorous. Basically he busted his arm above the elbow. He didn't black out, but I know the pain was amazing. My boy has some other serious neurological problems that were addressed three years ago with major brain surgery.

Most guys who have had any higher training know the drill. Your emotions turn off, you get a shot of adrenaline and you go to work.

Someone had called an Ambulance, but we actually arrived at the Emergency Room before the Ambulance got to the scene. We briefed the charge nurse en-route, so they had a room and staff ready for us.

Now my boy's injury from the accident was rather minor. However his medical history requires extreme caution in these matters.

The point of my long rambling post is that because I had simple medical training I knew danger signs to look for that would have prevented us from moving him. From SAR training I knew how to properly extract a casualty from the backwoods even if we were several mile further in than we were. Training prevents panic. Even though it was my own son pinned in a pile of lumber I don't recall feeling anything other than purpose. I fear this may have been totally different if the training hadn't been programmed in. Finally, my wife was at ease knowing that I knew how to handle the situation.

No, this wasn't a gunshot wound or any other life threatening injury. However I have that training as well and it was given to me at the same level as how to deal with sprains, breaks, and heat casualties.

If you are a first responder, then there are tons of agencies that provide this kind of training. If you are not, then contact your local American Red Cross. They can set you up with basic first aid and CPR. There are several private companies out there that offer combat aid classes to civilians. This may be a great option.

Whatever you do, prepare yourself. Don't assume than you will just be able to call an Ambulance to solve the problem. Your family and friends will thank you if you ever have to utilize your training.

Re: Equip yourself to survive!

Good advice.

My wife and I often spend time in remote locations. Shortly after I "retired" in 1999, I attended a Wilderness First Responder course taught by Wilderness Medical Associates. It's a 70-hour course oriented toward outdoor course leaders.

I think similar training is an essential skillset for those who aren't always within 5 minutes of an ER - and that's pretty much everyone.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Good advice. And a good thing that you were there for him. He sounds like a tough kid. Scars well-earned always make for better stories than do tattoos.
wink.gif

He is pretty tough.

This was taken on a trip to the stripper pits last year.

john_2958.jpg

This kid has been through more in his eight years than most will endure in their entire life....and he is the happiest kid I know.

LoneWolfUSMC,

I heard Marines breed 'em tough! Glad the little fella is (relatively)OK and I'm sure he'll be milking the casts "cool factor" for all its worth when he gets back to school!

With regards the comments about good First Aid training, I couldn't agree more; I just wish I wwould tap into the training our soldiers get prior to deployment to Afghanistan as I believe its vastly improved to when I was in...

Regards,

Peter

LW,

Glad to hear the little one is going to be OK. Your post is so true, and medical skills, just like shooting skills, are <span style="text-decoration: underline">perishable</span>.

Went to a friends for Thanksgiving and ended up transporting a 14 year old girl with a punctured thigh and fractured femur (handle bars of the ATV went all the way in). With her dad driving close to 100mph, it still took almost 30 minutes to get her loaded and transported to the hospital. The puncture was <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> close the femoral artery. She was up and around in a few weeks.

Basic first aid training is good, but knowing what to do goes away unless you practice it or get refresher training. If you've got some, good get some more. If not, get some now. When the time comes to need this training, chances are the person you're using it on will be family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LoneWolfUSMC,
I just wish I wwould tap into the training our soldiers get prior to deployment to Afghanistan as I believe its vastly improved to when I was in...</div></div>

It has. I went through Combat Lifesaver back in the late 90's. It was only given to selected units.

I went through it again last year. The Army and I am told the Marine Corps as well puts ALL ground combat units through it.

Before a lot of stuff we were taught was similar to civilian EMT protocols. Now we have a LOT more data from the battlefield about what works and what doesn't.

Good advice. Hope your son heals fine. My daughter fell down 17 hardwood steps about 3 yrs ago. I swear I don't think she missed
one of them. My wife called me when I was in a meeting. I left after saying about 3 words, "My daughter fell" and the door was still swinging when I was in my truck. I'm lucky I didn't kill myself or someone on the way home. I didn't keep a cool head.
She wound up with bruises over her head, spine, legs, arms etc.
Ok after a feew weeks. But my reaction could have caused much
more damage to the family.