• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Equipment checklist - Am I missing anything?

HemiPowrd

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
First time poster in this area. I've read a ton of posts and articles here and elsewhere to gather the information needed. I must say the amount of knowledge available here is incredible - thanks to all who share it here!

I was recently shown how accurate hand loaded ammo can be in one of my AR-15s. A friend loaded some various rounds for me and one of them shot extremely well. I always just thought I wasn't that great a shooter. I'm still not, but I'm a good bit better than I thought I was. A few years ago I got interested in shooting longer range and bought a JP LRP-07 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a pretty accurate rifle and I've shot some nice groups as low as .440" at 100 yards with Hornady factory 140gr ELD-M. Some of those groups aren't anywhere near that small though. I think I'm seeing a fair amount of variability in the factory ammo. It also shoots fairly accurately at distances out to 900 yards. I'd like to improve on that accuracy and possibly shoot some competitions (may need a bolt gun, not sure yet).

All that being said I think I've ordered everything I need, but want to make sure I haven't overlooked something. My philosophy is buy once cry once, but I try to spend where I don't go too far beyond the point of diminishing returns. My aim is to produce very accurate rounds and while some of the items listed below may be overkill for the rifles I have now, I want to have what I need for the future as well. I will not be making mass quantities of rounds so at least for now I think I have what I need.

Ammo components:

Bullet: Hornady 140gr ELD-M
Powder: H4350
Brass: Lapua small primer
Primer: CCI 450

Reloading gear:

Press: RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme
Dies: Redding Type S Match (micrometer bullet seater)
Bushings: Redding Ti Nitride .289 and .290 bushings
Scale: A&D FX-120i Reloading Scales with powder thrower and auto trickler v3
Case Trimmer: LE WILSON CASE TRIMMER STLSS w/ MICRO ADJUST KIT
Case Trimmer cutter: FORSTER CASE MOUTH CUTTER COMPLETE .264 (will be machined to fit the Wilson)
Funnel: MK Machining Precision Rifle Anti-static funnel set
Deburring tool: LYMAN FLASH HOLE UNIFORM/ DEBURRING TOOL
Case Cleaner: DILLON CV-750 VIBRATORY 12"x 12" CASE CLEANER w/walnut media
Sifter: GRAF MEDIA/BRASS PAN SIFTER
Case Lube: REDDING IMPERIAL APPLICATION MEDIA 30/CS
Ammo Checker: Lyman Chamber go / No go guage
Reloading Handbook: Hornady 10th edition
Hornady Headspace Guage
Hornady Bullet Comparator
Hornady Ammo Concentricity Tool
Hornady OAL Guage

I also have a Knights Armament Mag in case I need longer cartridge lengths.

Thanks!

Pretty good comprehensive list - you did not specifically mention digital calipers, but I assume you have those since you mentioned the Hornady Bullet Comparator.... Just don't forget the digital calipers?

you might consider a bullet puller...i like the one with the cam lever (https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/bullet-pullers/cam-lock-puller-prod34718.aspx) but others also prefer the one that looks like a hammer (https://www.brownells.com/reloading...lets-set-of-3-sku100032352-122133-227796.aspx)

i'm reading a lot about the use of annealers and neck trimmers and expander mandrils but i have no experience with them.

Many also prefer different types of primer loaders either hand priming the case or table fixed priming tools. I just use the one on my Co-Ax reloading press and it seems to work well for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: HemiPowrd
Pretty good comprehensive list - you did not specifically mention digital calipers, but I assume you have those since you mentioned the Hornady Bullet Comparator.... Just don't forget the digital calipers?

LOL yep, got a pair of Mitutoyo digital. I just forgot to put it on the list. Used to be a machinist a few decades ago.

you might consider a bullet puller...i like the one with the cam lever (https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/bullet-pullers/cam-lock-puller-prod34718.aspx) but others also prefer the one that looks like a hammer (https://www.brownells.com/reloading...lets-set-of-3-sku100032352-122133-227796.aspx)

i'm reading a lot about the use of annealers and neck trimmers and expander mandrils but i have no experience with them.

Many also prefer different types of primer loaders either hand priming the case or table fixed priming tools. I just use the one on my Co-Ax reloading press and it seems to work well for me.

I do need to look closer at annealers, but there seems to be a good bit of conflicting info on them. From what I've read it won't do much good unless you get the brass to the correct temperature. 5 seconds in a torch flame doesn't really mean much unless you know the temperature the brass is being heated to (at least that what I'm reading). What do I know though...

I may also need to check out the neck runout and mandrel tools, but don't know if I will need those or not.

I'm just going to use the primer seater in the Rock Crusher for now and see how I like it.

Thanks!

Another +1 for annealing (use tempilaq) & bullet pullers.

How about loading block/trays?

I really like the Area419 powder cup for my chargemaster.

I took the de-capping pin out of my fl sizing die and use a universal de-capping die to remove primers. Its also nice to have one of those little lee hand held presses for this.

I really hate loosing brass so I mark my brass with a sharpie. There is a guy here on the hide that 3d prints the jig for the markers. https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...rantine-mark-your-brass.6953881/#post-7871013

There is a great book "Metallic Cartridge Handloading: Pursuit of the Perfect Cartridge" by Mic McPherson. Its a little bit older, but its the single best source of *hand loading* information I've found.

Just curious, with everything on your list it looks like you're pulling out all the stops. Why pick the rock chucker over a foster co-ax?

Another +1 for annealing (use tempilaq) & bullet pullers.

How about loading block/trays?

I really like the Area419 powder cup for my chargemaster.

I took the de-capping pin out of my fl sizing die and use a universal de-capping die to remove primers. Its also nice to have one of those little lee hand held presses for this.

I really hate loosing brass so I mark my brass with a sharpie. There is a guy here on the hide that 3d prints the jig for the markers. https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...rantine-mark-your-brass.6953881/#post-7871013

There is a great book "Metallic Cartridge Handloading: Pursuit of the Perfect Cartridge" by Mic McPherson. Its a little bit older, but its the single best source of *hand loading* information I've found.

Just curious, with everything on your list it looks like you're pulling out all the stops. Why pick the rock chucker over a foster co-ax?

I have 6.5 loading trays on order just missed listing them.

I also have a Tactical Brass Recovery brass catcher - I'm not letting that Lapua brass touch the ground.

Reviews for the book are all positive so I ordered it - Thanks!

I saw many positive reviews and recommendations for the Rock Chucker, but this review is what ultimately made the decision for the RC:
http://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04/08/fourteen-reloading-presses-compared-single-stage-shootout/15/

The numbers in the second table on the linked page seemed overall better than even the Forster press. I was actually leaning a bit towards the Forster until I saw this review. I know it's only one set of data, but it was very persuasive.

Great info, thanks!!

Reactions: GrahamVT