• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Equipment list for competition

t-payne

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
Ft. Benning, GA
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place or if there are other threads, I tried searching but didn't find anything. So what do most people pack for competitions as far as gear goes?

To give you an idea. Shooters preference.

Databook or ballistic software
Rangefinder
TRIPOD with HOG SADDLE rifle craddle, bog pod or other rifle support to create stable platform while firing from alternate shooting positions.
Sand sock/Rear bag
Padded Drag bag
Backpack w/ camelback 100oz.
Solar calculator
Pens, Pencils & note taking material - Large ziplocks for waterproofing.
Inclement weather gear
MRE's, Sandwich, Granola bars, etc.. (as desired) for the range
Bring bottled WATER, hydrate Before & During the course
Spotting Scope (at least 25x+ optic), with tripod, Binoculars.
Bipod for Rifle platform
Sunscreen, hat, Bug/Tick spray
Eye/Ear Pro

My list for this weekend:

1) Rifle
2) Mags
3) Ammo
4) TAB sling
5) Rear bag
6) Scope
7) Bino's
8) Rangefinder
9) Water/snacks
10) Pistol/Holster
11) Eberlestock pack
12) note taking material
13) Ballistic Calulator and back up cards.
14) Eye and ear pro

I'm going to borrow and improve on angsniper's list.

Rifle and Ammo

Databook or ballistic software
Rangefinder-Maybe. Check with the match director to see if they are needed and allowed.
TRIPOD with HOG SADDLE rifle craddle, bog pod or other rifle support to create stable platform while firing from alternate shooting positions. Just use a bipod and rear bag. You will rarely, if ever, get a chance to set up a tripod. I have NEVER seend a tripod used in a modern tactical comp.
Padded Drag bag Not needed at all.
Backpack w/ camelback 100oz. Small backpack, and you don't necessarily need a Camelbak. Almost every comp has water at the stages so why add an extra 7-8 pounds on your back when you don't need to?
Solar calculator Not needed if you have any type of ballistic software.
Pens, Pencils & note taking material - Large ziplocks for waterproofing. Check the weather. A notebook and pencil is good to have.
Inclement weather gear Check the weather. Throw it in the car if you're driving but not needed unless required.
MRE's, Sandwich, Granola bars, etc.. (as desired) for the range
Bring bottled WATER, hydrate Before & During the course See the Camelbak suggestion. A small bottle you can tote with you should be fine.
Spotting Scope (at least 25x+ optic), with tripod, Binoculars. Small binoculars if allowed. Don't waste your time with a spotting scope unless it's a partner match.
Sunscreen, hat, Bug/Tick spray
Eye/Ear Pro
Sling

I've been to a ton of matches and see people carry gear they will never use/need for a tac. comp. Don't go overboard and research more and ask around to those who shoot comps all the time.

Small selection of tools, be sure you have whatever you need to tighten scope rings, action screws, etc on rifle and any other equipment you carry. Doesn't have to be much, but it has to be there... DAMHIK. Also, one of the armbands with notepaper sleeve- mine's from Sunrise Tactical. Goes around your offside forearm, and it's where you write any info needed for the stage you are about to shoot.

1911fan

Pack - Eberlestock X3
Rifle (of couse)
Ammo needed for that day
Atlas bipod
2 Mags at least for rifle
Eye/ear Pro, usually muffs and plugs for backup
Data Book with pens and mil-dot master
PDA with Ballistic software
Kestrel weather meter
Sling for rifle
Bushnell Fusion ARC binos for spotting/ranging targets
2 rear bags, a straight laced larger bag and a small TAB bag, sometimes you need the extra height of 2 stacked.
A borka tool kit in the TAB gear pouch in case something comes loose.
Sun shade for scope
Ball cap
Gloves
Shooting mat
football wrist play card holder
Spare batteries
Water/snacks
Sun screen

To give you a idea, with everything in/on the pack including the rifle, it is right at 40 pounds of gear. I would probably ditch a few things like shooting mat just to save a little weight if it isnt needed.

My list would be similar to BigJohns; but with adding:
Rifle with range-relevant DOPE storage-taped to stock
laminated card with frequent target size math "done"
a cut end of pantyhose to go over sunshade if rain in forecast
Handkerchief, bandanna, thin towel etc. to lay over scope/rifle in hot sun when shade cover not provided
Miltech lube or other grease for can
Mildot master, paper & small sharpie pens...remember enough comps that require ranging without use of any electronics
Allen wrench
Wet ones/pocket pack Kleenex
Med: Tylenol w/caffeine in case caffeine withdrawal headache kicks in, Heliocare sun pill, bandaids/packet Polysporin or Bactroban
Tweezers to get out those little evil burr things, pluck eyebrows during downtime
Lipbalm with sunscreen
Some longer matches I was advised to carry boresnake, I abandoned it though
Lenspen or lens paper

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place or if there are other threads, I tried searching but didn't find anything. So what do most people pack for competitions as far as gear goes?

WOW....WTF! This is a winning member of the 2012 Internetional Sniper Competition asking what he should carry as a sniper. No wonder really. He has never preformed in his MOS. His job is to shoot profesionaly and he is not even a champion in that! Just saying, The USAMU gets tremendous aclodades for Sh*& others do and guys like "T-Payne" ride the wave made by real warfighters.

WOW....WTF! This is a winning member of the 2012 Internetional Sniper Competition asking what he should carry as a sniper. No wonder really. He has never preformed in his MOS. His job is to shoot profesionaly and he is not even a champion in that! Just saying, The USAMU gets tremendous aclodades for Sh*& others do and guys like "T-Payne" ride the wave made by real warfighters.

Dude, he is asking about what to bring to a competition, not a fucking war zone. Probably 90% of the shit you guy's carry is not needed at these matches.

Perhaps this should be taken as a clue that he takes learning seriously enough to realize that he might not know everything.

In the last few years I have really cut my gear down to some essential items.

Here is what I run and how it's carried:

Back pack (small, like a 3 day assault pack)
Pistol Belt (pistol and rifle mags are attached in pouches)
Rifle Mags (4 x 10 round)
Pistol Mags (4)
Spare ammo ( 1 50 round box for rifle, 1 zip nylon pouch with 75 to 100 pistol carried in back pack)
Kestrel (in back pack)
Leica 1200 LRF (in back pack)
TAB Gear sling
TAB Gear rear bag
iPhone with ballistics app (on pistol belt in a pouch or in shirt/jacket pocket)
Ear Pro
Eye Pro
Water (camel-back or bottles)
Borka Tool Kit (in back pack)
Folding Knife (in pants)
IFAK blowout kit (in back pack)
Batteries for scope, kestrel, leica (in back pack)
Surefire G2 Nitrilon LED (in back pack)
Write in Rain small tablet and a mechanical pencil (with back-up data cards and a couple of blank range cards from my data book)
Small container of sun screen
Schemag

This seems like a bit of gear, but in actuality it's not at all. I find the back pack is really useful and easy to shed if you have to move over obstacles. It also makes a great shooting rest and or pillow.

dont forget condoms! You never know when you will be on a run only to find out someone else shot better and screwed you out of the win. LOl

Seriously though, What type of match will you be shooting? PR, carbine, pistol, ect.. There are some good lists above. Besides standard required gear I would suggest a gun specific tool kit, I carry an allen for each size fastener on my rifle. I have seen more than a few scopes, bases, ect.. come loose during a match ruining a shooters day. Also a small multitool can be helpfull. a piece of brass bore sized rod for knocking out a stuck case will rarely get used but is well worth having for terrain matches, for square ranges I have a cleaning rod in the car. I had a stuck case in my new .338LM this past summer and Chuck W. saved my day of shooting with his brass rod. I had forgotten my cleaning rod that match. I now carry one to every match just incase. I backed of the charge for that rifle so hopefully it will not be needed again.
The big thing is water! Again depends on the location but I now carry what I think I will need and then at least one extra 3L bladder worth.
I shot 2 matches at the location where the snipers hide cup is held last summer. The first time out I carried my normal amount for the sporting rifle match. Well it was hot and the terrain is more of a large slope so we all used more water than expected. Several shooters ran out of water on the south end of the course. I was lucky in that I did not run out untill the last station but, it was not enough to maintain hydration. It was like a death march to make it back up the hill. I drank 2 bottles on gatorade and 1 bottle of water once we got back to the trucks before I felt ok. For the second match the order was changed so you walk down the hill first and work your way back up the hill. That seemed to make it easier to me.
The Blue steel ranch in new mexico where the steel safari is held is the one other spot where I ran out of water. Again it was my first time shooting in that location. We were only going to go shoot a couple positions but, ended up shooting most of the course. it was 100+ deg heat. One of the guys I was with ran out of ammo, I still had some left as did the other. There was a discussion about shooting the last station. I said I was out of water since a few stations back, Fritz was as well. We decided to head back to the truck instead of shooting the last stage. It was mostly easy lightly rolling hill terrain on the road we walked back on. about the same time as I was feeling headachy Fritz said he was feeling it as well. By this time we were close to the house, the truck was at the KD range on the other side of the house. We came to a steep cliff/hill that was maybe 12 feet high. one of the guys said something like, hold on I need to rest before going up. LOL sissy. ( on the inside I was saying thank god) we chilled out for a minute then hoofed it to the truck.
I could see someone getting into real distress real easy in these type of situations. After the wyoming shoot I bought a new pack that holds 2 bladders and I always fill both and carry a couple extra bottles of water/powerade. most of the time I have plenty left over but mid summer with heat near or above 100 I have come close to using all of the hydration I have with me. I strongly suggest everyone carry far more water than you think you will need to every match. It is absolutely miserable (as well as dangerous) if you run out!

Tag, as I'm interested in shooting the SHC this year as my first comp.

I was mainly interested in knowing if I'd need an LRF and a tripod w/saddle for the Cup or just sticks. Oh, and how many mags would be good to have. I have one 10-rnd and two 5-rnd AICS...thinking about picking up another 10-rnd if it would help.

And my current LRF sucks ballz....I can barely range the broad side of a barn at 600 yds.

Good range finder is crucial. You can get away with sticks, maybe a good sling if you practice sling supported shots

Go shoot one or two, you'll figure it out. For sure rifle, ammo, rear bag and some way of figuring drop.

Wow, this has got to be a joke. New to the hide and attacking people out of the gate. I got a good laugh out of it anyway. Jealous much

Tag, as I'm interested in shooting the SHC this year as my first comp.

I was mainly interested in knowing if I'd need an LRF and a tripod w/saddle for the Cup or just sticks. Oh, and how many mags would be good to have. I have one 10-rnd and two 5-rnd AICS...thinking about picking up another 10-rnd if it would help.

And my current LRF sucks ballz....I can barely range the broad side of a barn at 600 yds.

Yes, I know, digging up an old thread. Sorry….

How did things go for you in the 2013 Sniper's Hide Cup? I plan on attending my first one this year. What did you learn that worked and did not work? Did you upgrade your LRF? To which one?

Hope you had a good time in 2013. Are you going to make the 2014 Cup? If so, let us say "hi".