• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Equipment Question

lts1ow

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
If you had to pick one, Kestrel elite, or binoculars.

Shot a match last weekend and boogered up a stage cause I couldn't find targets (should have glassed better beforehand). So that has me leaning to glass to prepare for stages better.

But, rained all match and my phone (Use AB for dope) was not a fan of cooperating, which a kestrel would have had no problem with.

Thoughts?

Reactions: crackerbrown
I would vote kestrel.

mostly because at all the matches i shoot - there's a handful of people with binos/spotters that will let you look through before you shoot.

The RO should let you if you ask as well.

i just recently got a kestrel for similar reason - app was beginning to not be reliable all the time.

I'll second @hookedonbrass - plenty of people running around at matches with binos and spotters, but not many people are going to be willing or able to let you run your data on their Kestrel. Buy a Kestrel with Link and save up for glass later.

Reactions: Olen_4504
when it comes time, if just trying to locate targets before you go up and shoot - you don't need to spend hella money on binos.

just get a pair of "low end" vortex, bushnell, althon, etc.

if you are worried about really staying on glass and watching trace/impacts/mirage/etc then start looking at high end glass.

but any regular degular pair of affordable binos will show you targets so you can make sure you are shooting the right one

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
when it comes time, if just trying to locate targets before you go up and shoot - you don't need to spend hella money on binos.

just get a pair of "low end" vortex, bushnell, althon, etc.

if you are worried about really staying on glass and watching trace/impacts/mirage/etc then start looking at high end glass.

but any regular degular pair of affordable binos will show you targets so you can make sure you are shooting the right one

An inexpensive (~100) monocular will work great, too, and it can live in your pack. I used one for several years for this exact reason.

Reactions: Olen_4504
No doubt, would pick a Kestrel. Most stages you can ask a squadmate or an RO to take a peek through their glass....a Kestrel isn't that easy to share with people you don't know well.

Thanks guys, I will start pricing out an elite