• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Eric Stecker Responds To Boone And Crockett’s Position On Long Range Shooting

melesia.cisneros

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2011
Fullerton, CA
Ongoing discussions about all types of hunting are necessary. As time passes and technologies advance, it is important to recalibrate ones understanding of the available options while staying mindful of those things we value regarding responsible hunting. Young adults getting their driver’s license experience a rapid advancement in the technology related to their mobility. They are compelled to readjust their attitudes and understanding about responsible behavior in the face of this advancement. Does the real potential danger of injury or death by accessing this new technology mean that they should be discouraged from driving? Of course not. What they need instead is to understand the importance of acting responsibly.

To this end, I applaud Boone and Crockett for their latest communications about Long Range Shooting. They have provided three works which eloquently express the importance of being a responsible hunter.
These are:

Long-Range Shooting: Defining A New Ethic in Hunting: Boone and Crockett Club | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting

Boone and Crockett Club Position Statement: Boone and Crockett Club | Long Range Shooting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting

Long Shots: Fad or Trend?: Boone and Crockett Club | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting

Their comments about the importance of being a responsible hunter are so well communicated that I will not recount their message here but rather encourage you to read them. Within these works, they make several points. Most of these points should be embraced by all hunters. Distance aside, there is no sensible reason why a hunter should take a shot at a game animal in which the hunter couldn’t hit the center of the vital area 9 out of 10 times as Wayne C. van Zwoll’s article suggests. On this we should all agree.

However, it is appropriate that we agree to disagree on the value of the technological advancements that allow hunters to take such a shot. The idea of fair chase is, at its core, simply an idea. As an idea will, it means different things to different people. I’d offer that the most literal application of fair chase is to go into the wild, barefooted and grab a rock or a stick you come across on the way. Essentially, anything added to this experience is using technology to overcome the game’s senses. The hunting experience is just as intimate and real for those who use tree stands, calls, feeders, blinds, decoys, trail cameras, scent concealer, compound bows and the numerous other technology advancements in the area of hunting.

I agree 100% that no shot should be taken that is not certain of success. The question is, how do these advancing technologies factor into this success? Precision rifles that are capable of consistent, lengthened trajectories provide significantly improved shot placement due to reduced drift and drop. Just because a hunter has a rifle that can hit targets consistently at 1,000 yards doesn’t mean that this is the distance at which they engage game. Most animals taken with longer range capable firearms are taken at distance far short of their capable range.

Range finders, environmental measuring devices and trajectory calculators allow a hunter to be certain of his shot placement situation regardless of range. These devices are not utilized only when the game is at distance, but at any distance they are engaged. Well made, balanced bullets with sleek designs not only improve shot placement capabilities; but they also increase the amount of energy on impact, further ensuring a quick and humane harvest.

I fully appreciate the effort and the experience one goes through in traversing that extra 50 yards to get closer to an animal. However, for many hunters in the modern era, this activity is not as stimulating as the endeavor of developing a precision rifle and their skills with practice and patience. Such efforts applied by a responsible hunter are certain to produce an ethical outcome while at the same time being a fully enjoyable hunting experience.

For those who want to get closer because that is what excites them about a hunt, I encourage them to do so and I will celebrate with them their accomplishment. If they take a precision rifle into the same situation, they’ve increased their likelihood for success that much more by utilizing improved shot placement and higher impact energy capabilities that come with this advancement in technology. None of these advancements are preventing those who want to get closer from doing so.

Hunting is about the experience. Being a responsible hunter is about the individual. Those who are responsible will act accordingly regardless of what technological advancements they take into the field. It is not certain that the person commonly recognized as founding the idea of fair chase, Theodore Roosevelt himself wouldn’t own and use a precision rifle if he understood how it incorporated improved shot placement and higher impact energy capabilities into his own hunting experience.

In the end, the important idea is that we should all be responsible hunters, and those of us who are in the industry should promote this idea. Berger Bullets started testing our hunting bullets in West Virginia on hogs, and not a shot was taken over 75 yards. The next test was in New Zealand where multiple dozens of animal were harvested. Most of the animals were taken at 175 yards or less, with a few in the 300 yard range. Walt Berger has been a sportsman all his life having run trap lines in Ohio at the age of 9. He’s taken one animal at “475 steps”. All of the other animals he recalls over his numerous decades of active hunting were taken at distances less than 150 yards.

When we started promoting the use of our bullets for hunting, it was not our intent to become regarded as a “long range” hunting bullet. It just so happens that our bullets are well balanced and designed with sleek profiles. This results in better shot placement and higher energy on impact. Both of these things are useful to any hunter, and provide the hunter with nothing more than options. It is irresponsible for a hunter to assume that using our bullets can give them the ability to shoot to distances they haven’t already practiced with confirmed success.

To assist in communicating the idea of responsible hunting, we are initiating a hunter education effort. We are making targets available that can be downloaded and printed on an 8.5” X 11” standard sheet of paper. You can download them from our Vital Zone Hunting Targets page. On this target will be an actual size representation of the vital zone area of various different game animals. We strongly encourage those who use our bullets or any bullets for hunting to download this target and place it at any distance at which you feel capable of hitting the center of the vital area 9 out of 10 times.
If you can do this, then you’ve proven that you are acting responsibly when taking a shot at this distance. Our objective is to further educate that our bullets are not made to achieve long range kills for the sake of distance. They are made precisely to improve shot placement and are designed thoughtfully to allow higher levels of energy on impact. The distance at which a hunter chooses to apply these capabilities will ultimately come down to the character of the individual and their abilities.

Original Blog:http://www.bergerbullets.com/boone-and-crockett-ethical-hunting/

Download Vital Zone Targets Here: http://www.bergerbullets.com/vital-zone-hunting-targets/

Eric Stecker
Executive Vice President
Berger Bullets

Attachments

• Medium-deer.jpg
    Medium-deer.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Stecker and Ram.jpg
    Stecker and Ram.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Very good post. To many people today take unrealistic shots, be it 1000 yards or 100 yards, some should not be taken.

Good article - B&C's facebook page posted their position that I would say is 'anti' long range hunting, and I think it's crap. 'Old school' hunters risking spooking an animal to get as close as they can and then shooting at moving/fleeing game is far more problematic than a well trained long range hunter with premium/custom equipment taking shots on perfectly calm game.

As usual, people only look at part of the facts. Usually the part that aligns with their opinion.
Ive said this many times, and it applies here as well: Far more game is fired upon, wounded, and not recovered by "normal range" hunters than by long range hunters. Quite simply its a matter of numbers. Lets say there are 50,000 hunters in the forest, of those 50,000, probably 90% of whom compose group 1, will or would take a shot at an animal at "normal range" (100-400yds?) resulting in many recovered, and unrecovered dead animals. The smaller portion of precision rifle shooters, group two, who are far more dedicated to accuracy, will or would take shots on animals at longer ranges (300-1000?). Due to their increased skill level, and more importantly their practice, they are able to make shots with at least a comparable if not far superior grade of accuracy as the first group. Therefore, even IF they have the same kill/recover ratio (which I doubt) there are far fewer animals lost by the precision rifle shooter. I have witnessed this every year since I began hunting, and it has always irritated me.

IMO, the trend today isn't that people are building precision rifles, using high end optics or handloading rounds to make long range shots, at least not the majority... Most are willing to purchase an over the counter stick, top it with something that offers a BDC reticle, pick up a box of factory rounds and start holding over... Which is fine BTW, but getting enough trigger time and definitely knowing actual DOPE for their set up is must... If you watch some of the optic commercials on T.V. making it out to, it's as easy as zeroing and holding to this hash, or dial to this number, squeeze and ... This is just me thinking out loud, but it seems like they are tending to take the process of practice and trigger time out of some of these set ups. Heck I even use Delta V-LE and went to the extent of calibrating my optic, calculating my own BC, shooting through multiple chrono's, and I'm still not as successful as most of these guys who are running factory everything... I think I need more trigger time.

As usual, people only look at part of the facts. Usually the part that aligns with their opinion.
Ive said this many times, and it applies here as well: Far more game is fired upon, wounded, and not recovered by "normal range" hunters than by long range hunters. Quite simply its a matter of numbers. Lets say there are 50,000 hunters in the forest, of those 50,000, probably 90% of whom compose group 1, will or would take a shot at an animal at "normal range" (100-400yds?) resulting in many recovered, and unrecovered dead animals. The smaller portion of precision rifle shooters, group two, who are far more dedicated to accuracy, will or would take shots on animals at longer ranges (300-1000?). Due to their increased skill level, and more importantly their practice, they are able to make shots with at least a comparable if not far superior grade of accuracy as the first group. Therefore, even IF they have the same kill/recover ratio (which I doubt) there are far fewer animals lost by the precision rifle shooter. I have witnessed this every year since I began hunting, and it has always irritated me.

Amen!

I worked for the MT Hwy patrol for 23 years. When I started we were still trained to be "Ex Offico" Game Wardens. Meaning if we saw a F&G violation we could investigate and make an arrest if it wasn't too time consuming. Otherwise turn it over to the Wardens.
Most of my career I worked in an area full of deer and elk, much of it large, private Ranches.

Over the years I have seen most every form of slob hunters as well as the true Sportsman.

My experience showed me that the AVERAGE hunter, in at least my area of Montana, was a fairly lousy shot, had relatively poor skills and was unable to reliably hit anything past 100 yds or maybe a bit more. I watched them dozens and dozens of times shooting at game in a field and being unable to connect. Or worse wound an animal. Generally if the animal didn't drop immediately, off they went. "Guess I missed" was the excuse.

We have a near six week rifle season. Throughout the season and for a week at the end it was very common to see a flock of magpies or a few coyotes on a downed deer or elk. Animals wounded and lost. At times they were literally being eaten alive. Unable to move so easy prey for the birds and coyotes. I vividly recall talking to a man using a .223 AR legally hunting a local Ranch for elk. He was using 55 gr FMJ slugs and boasting how well they worked on head shots. A few days later I found a rag horn bull being eaten alive by magpies and eagles with his lower jaw simply hanging by a bit of skin. Possibly wounded by the AR15 hunter... or someone else.

Over the course of my time on the road I put down at least a hundred big game animals wounded but not retrieved and laying in a ditch or field covered in magpies. Or unable to jump a fence so they get tangled in the barbed wire. Back in 2006 I killed THREE elk within an hour, the result of road hunters, shooting at a herd several hundred yds off the road.

THAT rag horn bull with the hanging lower jaw , eaten alive by birds....... has always stuck in my mind when LR hunting is discussed. I feel that many hunters simply BUY their way into the game without doing the required trigger time. They have the gear but don't have the knowledge or experience to use it. But that doesn't deter them. It becomes a game to post the longest kill. A clean kill takes a backseat to a long distance number.

These guys aren't anything new. I'd bet there were quite a few early Weatherby mag owners who felt the improved ballistics over the traditional cartridges of the time allowed them to hit so much farther away. Again....without practice and field experience I'm sure we had a lot of lost game then too.

Then on the other side you have the hunters who do it right. They practice, know their equipment and don't take a shot unless they can assure a proper hit. My experience is that they are in the minority.

I guess I could have simply posted that my concern is the LR hunter who has the gear, but is not qualified to engage an animal at X distance, but still does. The hunters like Pete Sinclair and a few others here who recount their hunts here are NOT my concern. The guy who buys or has built a great rig, then without REALLY figuring it all out goes out and wounds game IS my concern.

Sorry for rambling on.

FN in MT

Last edited:
Good post FN. I am working on my ability and this year took my custom Remington 700 7mag to a gunsmith to put have it rebarrelled, switched out stock for a B&C Medalist, had the action trued and squared, cleaned up the trigger and set it to 2.5 pounds, and had it cerakoted black. I then swapped out Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 for an SWFA 5-20x50. I got the rifle back later than hoped as the stock delivery was delayed, and only had a week to break in the barrel, see what ammo it liked, and zero the rifle. I had hoped to develop loads for 160g Barnes TSX and 168g Berger Hunting VLDs, but the time just wasn't there so I bought a box of HSM Bergers to match up against the factory Federal Barnes. The Bergers were all over the place and after two groups I was starting to worry I had wasted a lot of money. I then shot a three shot group with the TSX (ran out of light) and got a two in one just out group for sub-half MOA! To make it even better I didn't have to touch the scope as the couple rough adjustments I made while breaking in the barrel (with old Priv Partisan and Winchester rounds I wanted to burn off) also luckily placed all three rounds in the bullseye at 100y. On my Wyoming trip I took my mule deer at 80 yards, and was also able to fill my first antelope tag on a little 2 y/o. This hunt was every bit as fun and rewarding as the mule deer hunt despite the massive disparity in trophy quality between the animals. I spotted a bachelor group of antelope about 1000 yards across a sagebrush ridgeline and started my stalk. They bedded down before I had covered 100 yards and I spent the next two hours using the rolling terrain to mask my movements and crawling through the sagebrush when I couldn't. Several times throughout the stalk I considered trying to take a longer shot but could never get the rest I wanted and still keep a clear shot through the sagebrush. I have been working on my marksmanship and had the technical data of the load as I had at least a three shot average muzzle velocity, but could never get a good prone setup so just wasn't confident in either my ability off an 'unideal' rest, or the actual performance of the round as I had not fired it beyond 100y. Finally at 213y the best of the 4 bucks started looking in my direction, but not seeming too concerned as he stayed bedded but seemed to change his scan to a lot more time towards me. I was on top of the last terrain feature so closing any closer seemed like a bad plan, and at that range I was confident in my weapon, my ability, and my seated shot with my backpack upright as a rest to get the muzzle over the top of the sagebrush in front of me. I'd paid for a nice scope with turrets so I put the data into my phone app and made the 4 up and 1 left clicks more for myself than for anything else. The shot was right on the money and he jumped out of his bed and ran about 20 yards before falling back onto his haunches. I won't have a trophy on the wall, but I'll remember that hunt as well as any other. I like to think when we're talking about 'long range hunters' I'm the norm, not the exception, in that I wasn't about to take a shot that I wasn't supremely confident in.
IMG_1490.JPGIMG_1499.jpgphoto 1.JPGIMG_1494.jpg

Last edited:
I sent a request for a coyote kill zone target to Berger's contact page on their website.
some of you varmint hunters might do the same.

Great post.

B&c can stick their high and mighty ideas straight up their ass.

That's kind of what I think.

What I have observed, is that many have a poor concept of ballistics. On one episode of Northwoods Law, the Maine game warden told a hunter there was a problem with him shooting a deer at close range with a bow because the arrow didn't have time to accelerate.

Then there is the concept that it's OK to shoot "minute of deer" or if you can keep all the shots in a pie plate at a given range you're OK. I prefer being much more precise than that.

What we should all be doing is hunting well within our skill set. Possibly even more importantly we should be teaching the next generation of hunters the same. Distance has so little to do with it. There is a short range weapons hunt I have been on several times near home that I witnessed the absolute worst of the worst. I have personally seen several wounding shots taken at well under 50 yds. It finally got so bad that I no longer participate in the hunt because I don't feel safe in the woods with dozens of hunters shooting at everything that moves.

I'll hunt how I see fit. I put in more time and training into my methods of hunting than some Elmer Fudd weekend shotgun hunting curmudgeon.