• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ES too high

That's a good thought, particularly if he's seating the bullet deep enough where the bearing surface contacts that donut area. There can be enough variance in the bullet's specs where sometimes it touches and sometimes it doesn't when one is just close to it. Though in the OP, he did mention he runs a mandrel through the neck, which will mitigate that issue; even more so if he's annealing his brass properly.

I was thinking that if the donut gets too fat the bullet will get pinched when the round is chambered. The pinch will cause pressure spikes and big ES.

I was thinking that if the donut gets too fat the bullet will get pinched when the round is chambered. The pinch will cause pressure spikes and big ES.
Yeah, whether it's the donut or the carbon ring causing a pinch, it will cause pressure spikes. But, unless the round is seated long enough for the bullet to make contact with the lands, I don't know why chambering would cause the bullet to move into the donut . . . ??? I suppose if the neck tension wasn't sufficient, recoil might move the bullet to touch the donut to some extent, but then, that would mean there more than just the donut at play that would cause such an ES.

Sometimes when you run the mandrel through the neck too aggressively it puts a slight flare at the mouth of the case. The neck is resisting penetration and flares the end of the neck slightly.
yes. I have been going through the mandrel step very slowly! same with shoulder bumping and bullet seating.
teek your load try higher or lower , switch up primers a few of my loads run single digit 5's to double digit 40's or more just by switching primers especially when I use winchester primers thought it all still shoots fine group wise to 600 yards .
I have tried the followings and have not been to get rid of groups with high ES:
H4350
Alpha SRP + CCI 400

RL 16
Alpha SRP with CCI 450 ad BR4
Lapua LRP with CCI 250

I'm going to try a new primer Federal 205Match next trip to the range. Plus I'll do an OCW test as well. Plus I have the Annie annealer coming LOL. I'm so committed now.

Something always keep in mind is exactly how SD and ES work statistically. Most aren't aware what the actual SD numbers their chrono spits out actually mean.

To get the correct data, you'll need to extrapolate the SD using confidence intervals and the amount of shots fired. 95% is the most common interval used.

So, for example, if you fire a 10 shot string, and have an SD of 8......using a 95% confidence interval, your true SD is somewhere between 5.5 and 14.5fps. Meaning if you were to shoot enough rounds to be very sure your SD is the true SD of the ammo, it would be somewhere between those two, 95% of the time.

Now, SD itself is a distribution. Meaning 68% of your shots will be within one standard deviation. If you have an 8sd, 68% of your shots will have an ES of 16 (8 each way).

95% of your shots will be within two standard deviations. Which means if you shot 100 rounds, 95 of them would be inside an ES of 32fps (two SD of 8 each way.

99.7% of your shots will be within three standard deviations. We'll just round up to 100%.

Which means, if you have a true sd of 8, if you shoot 100 shots, you will have an extreme spread of 48fps.

If you only shoot a 10 shot group and get an SD of 8, with the confidence interval calculated, you could actually have an ES of up to 87fps.

If you have a true to life SD of 5, your ES is 30.

That should put a lot of this in perspective.

Most people would agree a true to life real 5fps SD is extremely good ammo. Some of the best ammo you could ever make.

And that ammo will still have an ES of 30fps.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Something always keep in mind is exactly how SD and ES work statistically. Most aren't aware what the actual SD numbers their chrono spits out actually mean.

To get the correct data, you'll need to extrapolate the SD using confidence intervals and the amount of shots fired. 95% is the most common interval used.

So, for example, if you fire a 10 shot string, and have an SD of 8......using a 95% confidence interval, your true SD is somewhere between 5.5 and 14.5fps. Meaning if you were to shoot enough rounds to be very sure your SD is the true SD of the ammo, it would be somewhere between those two, 95% of the time.

Now, SD itself is a distribution. Meaning 68% of your shots will be within one standard deviation. If you have an 8sd, 68% of your shots will have an ES of 16 (8 each way).

95% of your shots will be within two standard deviations. Which means if you shot 100 rounds, 95 of them would be inside an ES of 32fps (two SD of 8 each way.

99.7% of your shots will be within three standard deviations. We'll just round up to 100%.

Which means, if you have a true sd of 8, if you shoot 100 shots, you will have an extreme spread of 48fps.

If you only shoot a 10 shot group and get an SD of 8, with the confidence interval calculated, you could actually have an ES of up to 87fps.
I always looked at ES/SD like, "Big numbers no good, small numbers better, and single digit best".

I always looked at ES/SD like, "Big numbers no good, small numbers better, and single digit best".

SD really gives you all the info you need. Anytime you have an ES smaller of around 6 times your SD, all that means is that you haven't shot enough shots to get your real ES.

And ya, the smaller your SD, the better. Even when shooting very small sample sizes, the smaller your observed SD, the smaller the range of a 95% confidence will be.

For example, 10 shot strings

5sd = 3fps - 9fps

8sd = 5.5fps - 14.5fps

If your 10 shot string has a 5sd, you should not be worried if your ES is 54fps or less.

Meaning, if you take two different loads, shoot 10 of them across your chrono, both have a 5sd, but one has a 50es and the other has a 30es.....

You literally cannot say the 30es ammo is better as they are both inside the 95% confidence interval.

Not understanding this is a very big reason people chase their tale with ammo and chrono.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Every time I shot 10x 5-shots groups, there would be about 3 groups with ES over 30. sometimes they go into the 40s and 50s range.
I have tried Lee collet die, Redding full length sizing die, Forster Neck bushing + Full length size + mandrels (2/1k and 3/1k tension), Imperial Dry Wax. Did not see any difference.

The best 10 groups are typically with virgin brass where my average ES is 20 and SD is 10. but I still get 1-2 groups with ES of about 30.

My steps:
- De-prime
- Wet tumble
- Dry brass in oven for 1h at 200F
- Lube case and Neck bushing + length sizing
- Mandrel
- Dispense powder then seat bullet

6.5 CM
Berger 140 Hybrid and Berger 144 Hybrid
Alpha SRP
Relode 16 43gr
CCI 450, BR4

What else should I do?
Thanks for any help.

FYI, if your SD is 10......here is how your ES might play out. Based on 5 or 10 shot strings:

If you shoot a 5 shot string and get an SD of 10, your ES could be as high as 168fps

If you shoot a 10 shot string and get an SD of 10, your ES could be as high as 108fps

If your ammo is actually a true to life 10sd, your ES is 60. Just the way it works. So, being over 30 ES with a 10sd is extremely normal.

When you shoot a string and get an SD of 10, but your ES is 20......that 20es is not a valid observation. It is the product of not enough shots to make a proper observation of your ES, which is around 60(if your ammo is a true 10sd).

SD really gives you all the info you need. Anytime you have an ES smaller of around 6 times your SD, all that means is that you haven't shot enough shots to get your real ES.

And ya, the smaller your SD, the better. Even when shooting very small sample sizes, the smaller your observed SD, the smaller the range of a 95% confidence will be.

For example, 10 shot strings

5sd = 3fps - 9fps

8sd = 5.5fps - 14.5fps

If your 10 shot string has a 5sd, you should not be worried if your ES is 54fps or less.

Meaning, if you take two different loads, shoot 10 of them across your chrono, both have a 5sd, but one has a 50es and the other has a 30es.....

You literally cannot say the 30es ammo is better as they are both inside the 95% confidence interval.

Not understanding this is a very big reason people chase their tale with ammo and chrono.
If people don't take into consideration the ammo temp vs ambient temp, that will have them chasing tails too! Like, ammo stored in air conditioned house then hit the range in hotter temps. I'm letting my ammo acclimate for an hour before shooting. Tells a lot about powder temperature sensitivity!

20230910_175301.jpg

20230703_161803.jpg
20230921_131322.jpg

300NM, H1000, Berger 208,
Lapua brass necks uniformed, wet tumbled, annealed, body sized, bushing neck sized (LE Wilson), arbor sized, neck dry lubed and loaded. Shame I missed the changing wind at 1000 yds.