• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Escanaba In Da Moonlight

rsee03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
A little here, a little there
Been married for 23 years and the wife has drug me to more than my fair share of chick flicks. So was down to the local grocery store one day looking for a movie to rent (small town stuff). Found this movie about a deer camp in Escanaba, Michigan. So bring it home and start watching it with the wife and boy.

Was pretty bad, gotta admit, till it got to just one part of the movie in the cabin when they're pumping this one guys legs and he lets out a rip roaring fart. The boy and I both fell off the furniture laughing. Can't watch the movie ever again but can't think about that part to this day without laughing.

By the way, the wife said that one movie made up for all the chick flicks she drug me to.

Re: Escanaba In Da Moonlight

I lived in the UP for almost five years while attending MTU and been up there every summer and fall while growing up. They play the "yooper" part a little hard, but overall it's alright. Anyone got a pasty, say?

Da whole ridge?
laugh.gif

krecon1. Fan of the pastys eh?
smile.gif
You can get some good ones up in Ontonagon and in the Houghton area. But my Grandma and Mom make the best ones. Man I miss the summers in the Ontonagon river valley area.
I agree it was a bad movie, you have to have lived there or been kin to some Yoopers to get some of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">krecon1. Fan of the pastys eh?
smile.gif
You can get some good ones up in Ontonagon and in the Houghton area. But my Grandma and Mom make the best ones. Man I miss the summers in the Ontonagon river valley area.
I agree it was a bad movie, you have to have lived there or been kin to some Yoopers to get some of it.
</div></div>

My UP roots: Finnish background, lots of family up there, mom and uncle also attended Michigan Tech. Figured someone here would know what a pasty is! I liked Lawry's Pasty Shop in Ishpeming and then Thurner's Bakery up in Calumet for pasties. Used to ride the snowmobile through Calumet and stop for a pasty before heading up to Copper Harbor. Those were the days! Snowmobiling to campus and then cutting out early to go snowmobiling.

You guys all lived there, nice. I still do. The movie is definately a fuel for the stereotype.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lived in the UP for almost five years while attending MTU and been up there every summer and fall while growing up. They play the "yooper" part a little hard, but overall it's alright. Anyone got a pasty, say? </div></div>

Best pasties are from Calumet. Can't remember the name of the bakery...John's?

Fellow MTU alum here. Could never bring myself to watch this flick due to the inherent stereotyping. It was a great 4 years, but I could never live with that winter again.

Yup Ive got some substantial roots up there too. My Grandparents lived in Bruce Crossings and Trout Creek. My Aunt and Uncle still live there. I miss the Agate and Bond falls around that area.
My Dad graduated from Michigan Tech (Go Huskies! :)). And I still remember the days my Grandpa taught me how to drive (I was 11 at the time) on his old, rusty, three speed, 1962 International scout. Oh those were the days.

As for pasties, we used to have a shop here that sold Cornish Pasties. They were awesome. Gone now. Every attempt since has failed miserably.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crashnrondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Da whole ridge?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I'll take da swamp

Man, I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love this movie. Its a staple of Michigan cinema. Sure it pushes the stereotypes, but what movie doesn't? Isn't that the point of movies, they are not reality. They're <span style="text-decoration: underline">Hyper</span> reality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any movie that has Pee-Wee Herman in it is A-OK! </div></div>

Also I own the movie... and I don't ever remember Pee-wee in there. Did I miss something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love this movie. Its a staple of Michigan cinema. Sure it pushes the stereotypes, but what movie doesn't? Isn't that the point of movies, they are not reality. They're <span style="text-decoration: underline">Hyper</span> reality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any movie that has Pee-Wee Herman in it is A-OK! </div></div>

Also I own the movie... and I don't ever remember Pee-wee in there. Did I miss something? </div></div>

Yeah I don't think Pee-Wee is in there. See you're in Montcalm, County - I grew up in Newaygo County. Miss all the small game hunting around there. Never was much for deer hunting, but took my share of squirrels, bunnies, ducks, and geese.

HAHAHA!!!! I am a troll from below the bridge, but use to go to deer camp in Menominee... Never met Da Jimmer though!!! LOL
No that was not Pee-wee Herman as "Da DNR"

We go to Rock every October for archery season and my uncle always has to go to Supply Sgt because it's in the movie.

"So den... allada shudden... shames.... shames!"

Never knew what this meant until my father showed me the movie, couldn't stop laughing about "Jimmer" and his necessity for a 'whiskey chaser'.

Nothing like "tha got dang dee in are"

Oh yeah... and moose testicles.... hahah

Great inside joke kind of movie for the family. We watch it pretty much every year now.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">I saw this movie a few years ago, isnt that Pee-Wee Herman who is the Forest Ranger or whatever?</span>

Edit: I dont know why I thought that was pee-wee.

I have the movie too. I lmao when I watch. Da DNR are more powerful
dan God, in dese parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love this movie. Its a staple of Michigan cinema. Sure it pushes the stereotypes, but what movie doesn't? Isn't that the point of movies, they are not reality. They're <span style="text-decoration: underline">Hyper</span> reality.

Also I own the movie... and I don't ever remember Pee-wee in there. Did I miss something? </div></div>

Yeah I don't think Pee-Wee is in there. See you're in Montcalm, County - I grew up in Newaygo County. Miss all the small game hunting around there. Never was much for deer hunting, but took my share of squirrels, bunnies, ducks, and geese. </div></div>

Oh, yeah grew up honing my skills on small targets. To this day its still my favorite hunting to do. I like to get out there with a single shot 22sr. Make it a challenge at least.

Ducks, geese, pheasant. Yeah, we pretty much got it all around here don't we. Nothing like getting out there with a trusty shotgun and trying to call something in. If you got a good dog, that when its a real pleasure.

My mom's from the UP. Have relatives up there in Manistique still. Northern Wi. (where I hunt) is not too different, especially considering they share a 250 mile border. November deer camp is a special place.

Escanaba in do moomlight is one of my favorite deer hunting camp movies. It's bad enough to be funny.

BTW, Jeff Daniels is a MI native.

Fast Ed

I loved this movie, but it's not for everyone. If you grew up hunting in Michigan, especially if you've ventured north of the "mitten" for deer camp, it's pretty funny aye!

Plus, gotta give props to Jeff Daniels. He makes a lot of effort to promote Michigan!

Had to buy the movie for the boy. Watched it again with the neighbor boy. Laughed again at the bunk scene. Haven't been to Michigan in over 30 years.

I've only been to the southern corner of Michigan once but I love this movie. Haha the recipe for the concoction is finished of excellently with "and a powdered moose testicle" before the Jimmer drinks porquepine piss :]