• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Esoteric barrel length/twist/bullet lube-wear question

obx22

Troubleshooter
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2020
N.C.
Would there be a difference in the amount of lube worn off of a rimfire bullet with straight rifling vs fast twist rifling?
I’m trying to understand the physics of why a certain twist rate fits better with a certain length barrel. I’m wondering if it’s barrel wear on the exiting slug which determines one length barrel groups better than another for a given twist rate. Is the answer purely in “bore time”, with fast twists combined with longer tubes allowing a stabilizing of pressures/burn and speed?

GOOD LUCK! You have opened the door to what we call the abyss! of RIMFIRE !

Would there be a difference in the amount of lube worn off of a rimfire bullet with straight rifling vs fast twist rifling?
directly to your query;
If one were to "unwrap" the helix, A fast twist barrel has more inches of rifling than a slow one.
Assuming the lube is finite and "wears off" in X number of inches of rifling....it would "wear off" sooner in a fast twist barrel.

Reactions: obx22
directly to your query;
If one were to "unwrap" the helix, A fast twist barrel has more inches of rifling than a slow one.
Assuming the lube is finite and "wears off" in X number of inches of rifling....it would "wear off" sooner in a fast twist barrel.
directly to your query;
GOOD LUCK! You have opened the door to what we call the abyss! of RIMFIRE !
So many things to ponder. Hollywood has us believing bullets are burning hot on impact.
I’d imagine a rimfire round couldn’t be all that warm, but wonder if the radiant heat from either bore friction or atmospheric friction has an impact on either velocity (the way the air flows over the surface), consistency, or accuracy? I’d think a slug leaving a fast twist is a lot hotter than one leaving a slower twist.