• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Espresso Brewers, unlike the Coffee Brewer's Thread,,,,

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    Hey ya'll. We've got a great "coffee brewing" thread going, and there are MANY ways in which to make/brew/blend/steep coffee done in it, both hot and cold.

But very little has been said, ever, about espresso. Who here drinks it, how do you make it, in which manner do you prefer it, and also the selection of beans, then the roast, then the grind. So many different possibilities directions and options to choose from.

We here do both the coffee and the espresso. My Lady likes a GOOD coffee in the mornings, and I make that for her. But I vastly prefer a good espresso in the mornings. Just one a day, and I'm good.

We grind our beans in a "conical burr grinder" that I have "tweaked". This is after burning out a few different 'burr grinders' that are/were on the market. By far, the best one we've had for the longest time that does the best job is made by Krups. There are others, and the next step up from where we are at is "many hundreds of dollars" for a burr grinder. They sell them at the fancy Italian shop here, and we've held one and taken it apart and believe me, the guts of it are WORTH the money,,,, just not in our abilities at the moment.

I've had a few different espresso machines, starting with the Mr. Coffee thing and worked up to the Krups machine. The latter was good, but slow for what we want, and takes up a fair amount of space. We took a coffee course (locally) and learned about the 'espresso pot' that they have for campers. As we were wanting something that can be used on our boat as well, I looked further at that process. Now, each day that is what I use. I make the pot of espresso, and pour the (6 shots - according to the packaging) into my mug.

After adding some chocolate milk to the mix, I"m good for the day. And yes, THAT is a good coffee in my world. I have ideas in which I'd make the process a bit better and more to 'my liking' and whatnot, but considering the journey it's been, progress is pretty good.

Sing out, what says you, and how do you roll? I'm most curious just to see if anyone here at all, drinks espresso?

For simplicity and portability, you can't go wrong with this.

Screenshot_20190902-151913_Chrome.jpg

As Mike posted above, that brewer on the stovetop I was brought up on. Cafe kimbo or lavazza was a staple growing up, often with a generous swig of Sambuca topped off in the cup. I do have a fancy Delonghi machine here too for special occasions, but generally favor the simpler one above.

Cafe Pilon or Bustelo can work wonders too, especially if you enjoy a nice cafe con leche.

Take a visit to Australia if you want to learn about good coffee or espresso.
    Surprisingly enough they actually have fairly demanding high standards there.
    Many even have pretty high end espresso machines at home to get that perfect cup to start the day.
    To give you an idea, there are a couple Starbucks shops that only stupid tourists go visit, all the locals avoid that low quality crap like the plague.

Gaggia Anima Presitge espresso maker.
    Lavazza Super Crema Espresso Roast'
    Filtered Water

I usually drink 2 double espresso per AM. The wife takes a single, double espresso per AM.

This is as close to heaven or Tuscany that we can get.

Andrew

For simplicity and portability, you can't go wrong with this.

View attachment 7140746
    I've parked the different 'countertop appliance' style espresso machines and went to this 3 years ago. Primarily, because it works at home and on the boat. I am trying to keep my coffee consistent, and simple. I want it/like it the way I make it, and want to be able to do that 'anywhere'.

As to that, I've customized my above pot in a few ways, but am thinking about re-vamping it so that it is even more consistent AND productive.

Which beans do you guys using this method use? I’m looking for a rich, dark, strong roast as I prefer a lot of heavy cream for the taste and texture.

Embarrassingly enough I just use Folgers I buy in a huge can at Sam's Club. Its about $10 and lasts a month or so. I used to buy high end stuff but after awhile I realized cheap grease works as well as expensive grease. Plus, like with wine, I hear them talk about "delicate whiffs of vanilla, and raspberries, with a touch of this or that." which I can never taste. A bottle of $9 Tempranillio or Menage a Trois tastes about a good as a $60 bottle of XXXXXX. Same with the coffee....its just sphincter grease.

• Wow
    Reactions: ccasanova
    Embarrassingly enough I just use Folgers I buy in a huge can at Sam's Club. Its about $10 and lasts a month or so. I used to buy high end stuff but after awhile I realized cheap grease works as well as expensive grease. Plus, like with wine, I hear them talk about "delicate whiffs of vanilla, and raspberries, with a touch of this or that." which I can never taste. A bottle of $9 Tempranillio or Menage a Trois tastes about a good as a $60 bottle of XXXXXX. Same with the coffee....its just sphincter grease.

The be all and end all of considerations: does it grease your ass?

So noted.

I run a phillips xcelis and man, the simplicity one you figure out how u like it. it grinds , lcd customizable display, coffee or espresso, etc

yes it cost $, but I easily paid for it in a year compared to k cups and nespreaso pods. plus i can choose my own beans.

the jura brew unit you cannot clean, kinda the pitfall of that unit, work has them but they hardly last

My Breville died on me, so the Imusa is the only espresso maker I own now.

I have a Breville 920XL dual-boiler sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting to go back for repair. Biggest piece of shit espresso machine you can buy for $1300.

It was completely replaced once under warranty. I've repaired it myself a few times (solenoid, etc) since then. And now it's leaking all over the counter and won't build any pressure.

I've gone back to my Bunn drip machine and my French press...

Espresso Bar.jpg

LaSpaziale S1...11 years old...rebuilt once...Dual boiler with a Marzocco grinder...makes even Starbucks beans taste good

I retired last year and decided to explore the world of coffee. Started drinking it late in life. Always liked the smell but not the taste so much. Managed to get cancer in 2007 and the chemo therapy permanently changed my taste. Tried coffee after the dust settled and I liked it. Praise the Lord!!! Anyway, the wife and I started with a Technivorm brew machine. You would be surprised at the difference that made in our coffee. This summer, we got a Profitec 500 PID espresso machine. Wow. Still learning, but we are getting there. Not to sound like a snob, but you are going to have to spend a little bit to get a machine that will make decent/great espresso. It is the price of admittance. Check out Whole Latte Love on-line. They have a bunch of how-to videos. Also, there are a bunch of videos on YouTube. I won't even get into all the different coffees out there.

makes even Starbucks beans taste good

Can't be done, you can't start with charcoal and make a good espresso, much less a "god shot".

la Cimbali Jr grinder, and a Isomac Zaffiro machine here

And for a while I owned a small roasting company, I roasted with a Probat L12.

Best invention for espresso in the last 10 yrs is the bottomless portafilter.

Reactions: Nik H
    I went nuts over espresso about 4 years ago and bought a Faema Carisma S1 and a HG-1 hand burr mill. Used it a couple of months before I found out my tummy couldn't tolerant coffee that strong. I need to sell that stuff but it weighs a ton and I am too lazy to pack it up and put it on Ebay. Guess I should give Craigslist a try but I am not giving it away as it's pretty much brand new . I ground more coffee for the recommended break in of the burrs than I ever did drinking any.

My experience with home espresso started about 4 years ago when I had a cup at a friends house, I was hooked.
    Next the hard part. I had to convince my wife to ditch the K-cups. Our kitchen is Mommy town and she is the Sheriff!
    I promised her it would make the best cup of coffee/espresso she'd ever had. She didn't believe me, but signed off.
    I purchased a Delonghi Magnifica ESAM3300. It can be had for about $520 on Amazon It's pretty basic, and built like a tank.
    The built in grinder on these bean to espresso machines don't tolerate oily beans very well, but I got lucky with a pretty well known local roaster hear in Annapolis. I've been using their Mass Appeal espresso since day 1. The beans are very dry for espresso. I haven't had a single issue with the grinder for 3-1/2 years.

That first cup I made for my wife, well she said throw that shitty k-cup machine out & I'm under strict orders from her; should the Delonghi ever brake I am to immediately order a new one ;)

I've tried a bunch of other beans, but always go back to the Mass Appeal @ about 5 lbs. per 8 weeks.

recipe has been the same for past 2-1/2 years
    I just eye ball it, but to quantify in case someone wants to try it.
    3 tbl spoons of fairlife 2% milk + 1-1/2 tbl spoons Nestle Italian sweet cream + a sprinkle of cinnamon, froth with the built in steamer and push button for double shot of Mass Appeal.

Wife is same as above, but substitutes almond or Soy milk instead.

FYI- I just tried the Geissele coffee that came with my Black Friday trigger. Aparently smooth triggers dont equate to smooth coffee! Holly Bitter Bat Man, they should stick to triggers:sick:

https://shop.ceremonycoffee.com//products/mass-appeal?variant=52863014613
    1577833989530.png

Hi everyone, I need advice. I wanna buy an espresso machine and I think that I've found the one that I like, KitchenAid KES0504SZ.
    Though I have a question, if there are any differences between capsule espresso and the one from beans? I've never try it from capsules, but hope it's pretty the same. Or should I consider something more usual?

Hi everyone, I need advice. I wanna buy an espresso machine and I think that I've found the one that I like, KitchenAid KES0504SZ.
    Though I have a question, if there are any differences between capsule espresso and the one from beans? I've never try it from capsules, but hope it's pretty the same. Or should I consider something more usual?

The pods are ok, but they get expensive and choices are limited.

I've got the Delonghi linked below. I'd buy it again if it ever breaks. Last I checked it's got over 4000 mostly double shots brewed.
    One thing to be aware of is that most Bean to espresso machines don't play well with really oily/wet beans.

These beans are awesome in a bean to espresso machine. https://shop.ceremonycoffee.com/products/mass-appeal?variant=52863014805

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-ESA...ocphy=9007866&hvtargid=pla-316095657057&psc=1

Hey ya'll. We've got a great "coffee brewing" thread going, and there are MANY ways in which to make/brew/blend/steep coffee done in it, both hot and cold.

But very little has been said, ever, about espresso. Who here drinks it, how do you make it, in which manner do you prefer it, and also the selection of beans, then the roast, then the grind. So many different possibilities directions and options to choose from.

We here do both the coffee and the espresso. My Lady likes a GOOD coffee in the mornings, and I make that for her. But I vastly prefer a good espresso in the mornings. Just one a day, and I'm good.

We grind our beans in a "conical burr grinder" that I have "tweaked". This is after burning out a few different 'burr grinders' that are/were on the market. By far, the best one we've had for the longest time that does the best job is made by Krups. There are others, and the next step up from where we are at is "many hundreds of dollars" for a burr grinder. They sell them at the fancy Italian shop here, and we've held one and taken it apart and believe me, the guts of it are WORTH the money,,,, just not in our abilities at the moment.

I've had a few different espresso machines, starting with the Mr. Coffee thing and worked up to the Krups machine. The latter was good, but slow for what we want, and takes up a fair amount of space. We took a coffee course (locally) and learned about the 'espresso pot' that they have for campers. As we were wanting something that can be used on our boat as well, I looked further at that process. Now, each day that is what I use. I make the pot of espresso, and pour the (6 shots - according to the packaging) into my mug.

After adding some chocolate milk to the mix, I"m good for the day. And yes, THAT is a good coffee in my world. I have ideas in which I'd make the process a bit better and more to 'my liking' and whatnot, but considering the journey it's been, progress is pretty good.

Sing out, what says you, and how do you roll? I'm most curious just to see if anyone here at all, drinks espresso?
    This is all you need to know.
    15980549868068592300836456324334.jpg

Step one, get rid of that medium roast italian stuff.

You want the full roast latin style arabica, like bustelo or pilon or la llave.
    E6F44297-241C-456A-BC91-1F8682AE5A81.jpeg

Step two, get a steel pitcher like this one and put about 3/4 tbsp of sugar in it for a double.

9CD82FE3-3AC0-4CE9-A95A-7B55B7E43F1A.jpeg

Step 3, brew a double shot into the pitcher, stir it well to dissolve all the sugar.

7AB24CC6-AA3B-47D6-B701-EC7AC689AABA.jpeg

Step 4, have a bathroom nearby. If you don’t have an espresso machine, the procedure is the same with a cafetera.

• Haha
    Reactions: clcustom1911
    You are a true addict like me. I love Bustelo and La Llavé. I'll wake up, do my green tea/caffeine/ginko bullshit, within an hour do the full jigger (full jigger = 3-4 shots) of Bustelo with about 2 tablespoons of sugar and warmed half/half.

The Lifeblood of Champions.

I love a good thread exhumation. I have the 15 cup, straight walled version of this that I make almost every day. I have a hario burr grinder too that I just put a hex nut on to grind by beans with a dewalt drill. This process is a little cumbersome but it’s worth the time for strong, delicious cafe

I have a similar setup for m fishing trips.
    Was testing out how the area heater would work for my coffee maker, but I nornally use a msr pocket rocket for coffee. Much more fuel efficient and smaller in size.
    The area heater was to keep my wife cozy while camping, but I ended up using it mainly to see how long one of those coleman bottles would last with it.
    2DB293C3-557F-487C-A5E2-0D11377EA0A5.jpeg

Yeah, even though it is a 'necro-thread' that I created some time ago, I do still appreciate the "new and improved" of the new-and-improved.

There seems to be eleventy different ways to skin a cat/make an espresso. And yeah, I'm still using the IMUSA thingy, daily. If something comes up better'er and is as cheap'ish, then great. But spending the equivalent on a scope for a coffee-maker/espresso machine is insane. In my own opinion.

Have often thought about building my own though, as I constantly see and think "I would do it THIS way,,,,," and whatnot.

I agree with the money side of your argument, but I have yet to use or need a riflescope every single morning of my life. Funny how I can justify a $2000 scope in my mind but struggle to buy a rancilio machine for $700 knowing I’ll use it every day.