• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Estimated Cost for Custom Rifle

W8-2112

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2014
OCONUS
Gentleman I call upon your experience and request your input...

What is a fair and reasonable amount to charge for building a custom bolt rifle? Below are the big ticket items that I am not sure about.

Blueprinting Action:
Lapping Bolt Lugs:
Re-Barreling (cutting crown & headspace included):
Bedding Action (pillars included):
Installing Sight Mount:
Tune Trigger (3lbs):
Polish/Radius Edges:

Any positive feedback would be much appreciated, thank you.

Check out the group buy section. Everything you are looking for is priced out there. Give or take 10%. I was thinking about doing the group buy but it wasn't much cheaper than going with my local highly recommended smith.

I ended up paying $660 in smith charges for just about everything you are asking about. Barrel was $350'ish.

-JD-

The cost for services are generally a set price, but where the build can vary depends on what aftermarket products you choose to use, barrel, stock, etc. Visit my website at ruhlandrifles.com or call 608-370-4262. Thanks!

Spartan rifles does great work at a reasonable price and lead times are not crazy. Give Marc a call.

I currently have a build that Marc is doing for me. He is just waiting for PT&G to send him my new bolt. I am having him do all the work you listed plus some other stuff. His price is extremely reasonable. Also if you need any stock work, I would recommend stockdoc. He went out of his way to take care of me with some work. Both of these guys were helpful and responsive when I had dumb questions for them.

I'd just get a custom vs doing all the custom work to a 700 action.You'll be close to the same price, and the defiance/stiller/surgeon actions are built better. Here was my last build at MSRP.
Defiance Deviant
$1350.00
McMillan A5
$960.00
Kahles 624i
$3,200
Bartlien
$350.00
PTG Bottom Metal
$129.00
Spuhr Mounts
$400
Jewell Trigger
$220.00
Chamber
$275
Thread
$160.00
Muzzle Break
$150
Bed Action
$300.00
Bipod
$250.00
Cerakoate
$250.00
bipod feet
$50
Suppressor with stamp
$1,000.00

<tbody> </tbody>

I'd just get a custom vs doing all the custom work to a 700 action.You'll be close to the same price, and the defiance/stiller/surgeon actions are built better. Here was my last build at MSRP.
Defiance Deviant
$1350.00
McMillan A5
$960.00
Kahles 624i
$3,200
Bartlien
$350.00
PTG Bottom Metal
$129.00
Spuhr Mounts
$400
Jewell Trigger
$220.00
Chamber
$275
Thread
$160.00
Muzzle Break
$150
Bed Action
$300.00
Bipod
$250.00
Cerakoate
$250.00
bipod feet
$50
Suppressor with stamp
$1,000.00

<tbody> </tbody>

God damn man it does not take 9k to build an accurate rifle. Ain't hatin though, if you got it flaunt it.

Skip the fluff and you can build one for under $2000.

Barrel: $350
Bead blast barrel: $25
Trigger: $150
McMillan: $500
Barrel install: $300
Bedding: Do it yourself.

My next build will start with a Tikka action, and I wouldn't bother truing it.

The sky is the limit if you want to dump money on fluting, coatings, and magazine systems.