• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Etiquette question

pga43

Ninja photgrapher
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2018
Old Hickory, TN
www.golfwrx.com
I'm really new to shoot steel plates and so don't want to upset anyone when I'm at the range. When shooting steel at a range where other shooters are also shooting steel at the same distance, is it okay to shoot the same steel plate as another shooter or is this not cool?

Thx

Greg

Especially if it is hung and moves, doubly so if the shooter just painted it. Steel at our range is fairly solid, so it isn't like one shooter is perturbing the target for the next. I try to use another distance.

Reactions: pga43 and RNWRKNP
Thanks for the quick responses. New member so don't want to piss anyone off.
Sooner or later, you are bound to piss someone off. It is just the nature of Internet forums. The inhabitants of this place are a crusty bunch of dogs but, it you hang around long enough, and read with care, you'll also find they are quite knowledgeable and more than willing to share. Sometimes with a little humor, sometimes with a bit of sarcasm, sometimes with a bit of ribbing. It's all good, the nice guy to asshole ratio around here is pretty strong.

Thanks for the quick responses. New member so don't want to piss anyone off.

Just be yourself and give and take as it comes. You’ll say something stupid and get smoked for it but know that everybody else does as well......especially me? Good on you for being polite at the range as it generally makes for a more pleasant shooting experience?

.5 MOA AK47???

Sooner or later, you are bound to piss someone off. It is just the nature of Internet forums. The inhabitants of this place are a crusty bunch of dogs but, it you hang around long enough, and read with care, you'll also find they are quite knowledgeable and more than willing to share. Sometimes with a little humor, sometimes with a bit of sarcasm, sometimes with a bit of ribbing. It's all good, the nice guy to asshole ratio around here is pretty strong.

Oh, I figure I'll piss someone off here so no worries there but more worried about at Strategic Edge where I'm a new member. Thx for the heads up though.

Greg

Last edited:
If it is hanging plate, I'd just shoot it while it was swinging, no disruption and immediate proof you are that good. They will in turn ask you if it is ok to shoot YOUR target.

Reactions: pga43 and RNWRKNP
Greg,

generally if someone at SE doesn't want anyone to shoot a specific piece of steel they say so right when the buzzer goes off. If we have guys working a certain distance and I want to shoot it I just ask. I have never had anyone be a real dickhead about it, usually we just agree to each shoot a side and drive on.

Boils down to this though, range steel is range steel. If someone is shooting for a group the steel probably isn't the place to do it. Now, if they have a paper target on the frames or set out a swinger, it's off limits.

For those that don't know SE's facility all the steel is hard mounted and set at a 4° downward angle. Only swingers are the KYL racks, of which there is 4-5 between 600-1000.

Reactions: pga43
Greg,

generally if someone at SE doesn't want anyone to shoot a specific piece of steel they say so right when the buzzer goes off. If we have guys working a certain distance and I want to shoot it I just ask. I have never had anyone be a real dickhead about it, usually we just agree to each shoot a side and drive on.

Boils down to this though, range steel is range steel. If someone is shooting for a group the steel probably isn't the place to do it. Now, if they have a paper target on the frames or set out a swinger, it's off limits.

For those that don't know SE's facility all the steel is hard mounted and set at a 4° downward angle. Only swingers are the KYL racks, of which there is 4-5 between 600-1000.

Thx, Chris. I knew not to shoot someone's paper for sure. I always ask what they are shooting at so I know to steer clear of their targets. I'm not qualified to shoot on the 600 to 1000 yard range yet but hope to take the qualifier on July 29th.

Appreciate your info.

Greg

You have to be qualified to shoot the farther targets? Nothing like that around here.

Topstrap

Found out it has nothing to do with shooting. More about the safety/rules when shooting out to 1000-1250 yards and knowing your dope to be able to be safe. 1 1/2 hour safety class from what I've been told.

Greg

Interestingly, while I was shooting steel at 300 yards, another shooter started shooting the same steel plate. I know I put the first impact mark on it and he never said anything so I just continued to shoot. WQhe I went out to 500 yards, no one else was shooting that distance, so it worked out well for me.

Greg

You have to be qualified to shoot the farther targets? Nothing like that around here.

Topstrap

You have to qualify to shoot 200/300 out here in MA, if one round missed the 60ft berm, it's going into downtown, this is life in the suburbs of Boston

Reactions: b6graham
OK, guess growing up in the country and having numerous 1000 yard plus ranges and farmland around I'd never given thought to how it's done in other areas. Sounds reasonable.

Topstrap

OK, guess growing up in the country and having numerous 1000 yard plus ranges and farmland around I'd never given thought to how it's done in other areas. Sounds reasonable.

Topstrap
Yeah, I'm envious, we had a 1000yd range, but the anti gun azzhatz shut it down a technicality. The only one in all New England and beyond.

I’m a member at strategic edge myself. It’s a very safety oriented range where everyone is considered a RO. Not a bad thing at all. Welcome pga!

Reactions: pga43
I’m a member at strategic edge myself. It’s a very safety oriented range where everyone is considered a RO. Not a bad thing at all. Welcome pga!

Thanks for the welcome! I've shot there the last two Saturdays and enjoyed just how safe everyone is. Not always that way at public ranges.

Greg

I envy you guys that don’t have to lug your own steel targets down range; as for me, I have to bring my own and then have it inspected by the RSO every time I go, despite the fact that they’ve seen the same target X number of times before. After I go through that, I’ve got to run it out to a minimum of 200 yards (basically to the foot of the berm) and then run back to the line, all within the 5 minute ceasefire. I get to repeat the run when I’m done shooting for the day

Wow, that would get old really fast. I've got target racks from 25 yards out thru 197 yards made of steel that swing. Not one time have we had a 22 rimfire round come back with my swinging racks. Back when I had regulation silhoutte rimfire targets set up that we knocked down I would get the occasional ricochet. I think the swinging action of the target directs all the rimfire rounds down since I see a lot of flat bases lying directly below the target.

Wow, that would get old really fast. I've got target racks from 25 yards out thru 197 yards made of steel that swing. Not one time have we had a 22 rimfire round come back with my swinging racks. Back when I had regulation silhoutte rimfire targets set up that we knocked down I would get the occasional ricochet. I think the swinging action of the target directs all the rimfire rounds down since I see a lot of flat bases lying directly below the target.

That 200 yard sprint (actually 400 yards round-trip) definitely does get old fast, especially when the weather has been as hot as has been for the past couple weeks. If I'm being honest, it doesn't get much better when it's 20 degrees out and have to make that run through the snow out to the berm

You need to move closer to East Ohio. Mine are always up just waiting for someone to shoot them.

Topstrap

LOL - I'd love to be able to leave mine where they are. I'd also would have loved it today if the guy who was hitting mine with his .223 would have knocked it off or at least offer to run the target back for me when I was done shooting as (I did actually talk to the dude and tell him to knock it off - speaking of etiquette at the range).

"Pardon me sir, you don't seem to be using the center of your targets, would you mind very much if I did?"

I really like that approach and seems to not be an issue on steel. Yesterday I was shooting steel at 300 and then moved to 500. Another guy was shooting paper at 500 but when we drove out so he could see his target and I could paint the plates, he made a comment about how many of the impacts were his on the steel. I just let it slide but knew 3 of the 4 impacts were mine and not his cuz I watch the bullet all the way to impact.

Lately at my range people will show up, see several paper targets on one stand, and assume they're for everyone. Or if I set my steel out, it's also assumed that it's range steel. I even had a guy drive down and paint my steel red (I generally paint it white with a black dot). Super fuckin' annoying. It is getting to be hunting season so the Fudds start coming out to "zero" their rifles.