• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Eugene, OR - Teammate and/or place to practice

bh-ltr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Eugene, OR
I'd like to get into shooting a match or two per year in the area. Unfortunately I don't really have a place to practice or a teammate to spot and practice with. I've gone to a couple long range shooting classes and have another one planned later in the year. If someone has a location where targets can be set up I'd be willing to go in on some targets and stands and what not to help bolster up a location. I'd prefer to have at least 600 yards available but barring that anything is better than the only 200 yards I have available at Izaak Walton.

If someone wants a partner to practice with I've got pretty much all the needed gear for one shooter and for a spotter. I'm a milrad shooter but I can get used to calling corrections in MOA for someone if they are willing to do the same for me in mrad. We'd be a slightly slower team for it but I'm very familiar with multiplying by 3.438 to give a MOA correction.

here's hoping...

~Brett

There is a club up in Portland that does "Long Range" matches I think monthly. Might want to check it out. Forget the name now but you can search Portland "Sniper Match" Some kid that goes their has afew videos up. I sometimes travel down to Roseburg Area and will let you know next time I do so we can get some time in if you want.

Tri county gun club has 600 yard shoots, practical rifle, and a couple of precision rifle matches a year. They are in Sherwood, OR. Douglas Ridge is outside of Estacada, and they have quite a bit of 1000 yard shooting.

If you really want long range, drive past Burns, OR to Catlow Valley, or the Alvord desert area. I have shot areas around there that would go way past what any 50 cal, Chey-Tac, or other shoulder fired weapon can reach.

Always good to know about them. These matches at TCGC. Are they usually individual or teams?

Greatly appreciated and good information but I was hoping to find someone who had a chunk of private land that they'd not mind a few people setting targets up on as long as we left them and kept them painted. ;) I mean a guy can dream can't he?

~Brett

It isn't private land, but way down in S.E. Oregon there are many, MANY places you could easily shoot 2500-5500 yards. It is BLM land, but the wind does blow down there.

Yea I have a place where my dad and I shoot that gets us to about 1200 which is about the limit of my current setup. Its a lot of good spotter work to get consistent hits at that range. I'm shooting a 20" 308 with 175SMKs at 2567fps and 1200 yards is about 17 mils of adjustment (and about all that I have left including my 20MOA base under the S&BPMII 5-25). Anyway still yet hoping for a place a little closer to home and a competent spotter to team up with.

~Brett

It is BLM land, but the wind does blow down there.

Oh yeah! Never tested my wind reading and learned so much as when taking long shots cross canyon in the Coastal ranges... When that wind heads your way, be prepared!!!