• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ever Buy an Obstructed Gas Tube?

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Got my large frame AR together, and have a single shot with about 12 rounds through it. However it shot 1.5 MOA with ZQ1 ball, so I'm at least happy about one thing. The thing isn't even unlocking. It manually cycles just fine.

Lubed the crap out of it. Checked the gas ports and everything has carbon deposits where it should on the barrel, block, and tube where it fits into the gas block. However the BCG is as clean as a whistle. Blew into the carrier key and I have no problem with air going through. There is no problem with key to gas tube fitment.

Took the gas tube out and blew into that, can't. Took some thin wire and tried to push it down the tube, stops about 2 inches in. Then I took a small syringe full of water and tried to squirt water through just to be sure...and that squirted back instead of going through.

I highly suspect an obstructed brand new gas tube...am I wrong and overlooking something?

*Edited to add that this is a nitride coated tube.

This is my fourth AR build, so I'm no expert, but my first three run extremely well.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
    Reactions: bfoosh006
    If you cant push water or wire down it sounds like you found your problem. Being just a gas tube I'd just buy a new one or call and company that you bought it from and see what they will do for you.

Reactions: diggler1833
    Don’t you love problems that you think... nah, no one could fubar that up. It’s a piece of tube with two bends in it. No one could mess that up.

And the. You realize that... well... there are AR parts makers who can Fubar that seven days a week and twice on Sundays.

Congratulate yourself for tracking it down so fast. Those are the problems that make people pull their hair out.

Never say never.

Sirhr

PS be thankful it’s just one thing. I spent more than a day trying to un-fubar a “cheap” 9mm ar pistol from a big name “tactical” place. Total POS assembled by drunk monkeys. Fix one thing.. the next thing rears it’s head. Then the next. Then the next. All %^*{ing day. I got it. But for the time invested, I should have bought a Colt and had something worthwhile. Troubleshooting is an art. Fixing is a science. You just showed artistic level AR building skills!

That’s a new one on me.
    I have, however, seen “budget” and “entry level” AR “manufacturers“ fuck up just about every other part of the gun.
    I stick with Colt, LMT, KAC and Daniel Defense for that very reason.

Reactions: diggler1833
    Surprisingly, this is a part from a manufacturer with a pretty good reputation...or it's a cheap knock off from a company that uses the same three letters.

I'm going to assume the latter since I don't see it listed on their website, and for that reason I see no need to bash them. It's a 15 dollar part, but damn if it isn't irksome to start doubting yourself and have to begin trouble shooting.

Lesson learned. New plain stainless tube is already in the mail.