• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ever hitchhiked? In the last few years?

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
Call me crazy but I have time on my hands. I always wanted to see how far i could get, and back hopefully by thumbing a ride. Any body have any modern day experience?

Would a heavy barreled rifle and a ghillie suit decrease the odds of getting picked up? LOL!

It would be a story to write about,
Tres

Re: Ever hitchhiked? In the last few years?

good luck with this. I see them out there on the on ramp to I 94 some creepy lookin folks.

In this day and age, I think you would be a brave fellow to try this. And yes, the rifle and ghillie would get some looks, but no ride. Who knows, maybe we will see you on the news!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Six Five Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yes, the rifle and ghillie would get some looks, but no ride. </div></div>

Yeah it would, just not to where he wanted to go originally. Ride downtown, no problem.

In lots of places hitchiking is prohibited, so maybe you'd get a felony charge of use of a gun while committing a crime.

You could always set out on your ridding mower. I think there was guy that did a coast to coast some time back. I thumbed it from ILL to Yellowstone and back in 1976. It was a lot easier in those days that it would be today.

I hitched across Japan about 20 years ago,was the best experience I had.The Japanese would pickup and drive past their destination just to get you where you needed to go.

I used to hitchhike when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I never had a problem getting a ride. I always had a pair of brass knuckles in my back pocket and a boot knife strapped to the inside of my left leg for insurance if some douche decided he didn't want to let me out. LoL

Of course if you have some nice big titties and a short skirt on you never have problems getting a ride.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hitchhikers always smell. </div></div>

I picked up this limping old guy in North Coroline one time, carrying a gas can. My fucking car smelled like gasoline for a week. You'd swear he missed the gallon can and instead showered in the 87 octane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JML403</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hitchhikers always smell. </div></div>

I picked up this limping old guy in North Coroline one time, carrying a gas can. My fucking car smelled like gasoline for a week. You'd swear he missed the gallon can and instead showered in the 87 octane.

</div></div>

HAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHA! Damn, that would suck! Thanks for the laugh, however!

I hitchhiked for about 8 years or so. Quite regularly. Numerous cities and countries. Only about 5 times in the last year or so just because I haven't gone anywhere. Did it the whole time I was in the military.

Best time and rides happen when I'm wearing a sport coat and look clean cut. That's when the single moms and school teachers stop.

What is it that you want to know? Don't be a dirty ass and stick out your thumb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hitchhiked for about 8 years or so. Quite regularly. Numerous cities and countries. Only about 5 times in the last year or so just because I haven't gone anywhere. Did it the whole time I was in the military.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Best time and rides happen when I'm wearing a sport coat and look clean cut. That's when the single moms and school teachers stop.</span>
What is it that you want to know? Don't be a dirty ass and stick out your thumb. </div></div>

AWESOME, sounds like you started a new series, a little different than bangbus. We now have "bang hiker"

I hitchhiked in college backpacking through Colorado years back...there are still some good folks out there.

Me and a bunch of buddies went down to Puerto Penasco in about '05 and we took some jetskis. With no launch ramp (or much common sense) we tried launching them on the beach. The little Ford Ranger we used sunk into the sand as predicted, and it was the only vehicle we all rode in from the hotel we stayed at. We bumbed a ride from some locals for about 3 miles back to the hotel to pick up the other truck we rode down in. Gave the local a 12 pack of Tecate, went back to the beach, pulled the Ranger out, had a blast.

I used to hitchhike all the time when I lived in my hometown. Heck I once made it to LA and back in a day and my parents didn't even know.
laugh.gif

I hitched all around the country back in 70-72. Mostly finding myself, and getting through the VN experience.
I kept clean, had a few bucks at all times, and never had a hard time from people or LEO. In fact the LA Highway patrol gave me a ride from one end of the state to the other, on I-10, just because the first guy's son was in the 101st. I would get out at the edge of one guy's area, and the next Patrolman was waiting, to give me a ride. they bought me lunch, and wished me well. Never happen now, I don't think.
I got rides from preachers, salesmen, GI's, old guys, farmers, ranchers (always offered a place to stay, and some work), and once in a great while a lady.
finally settled down, and gave it up to go back to school.
OK, but hard to get a ride sometimes, and hard to stay clean all day. Have to keep neat looking, polite, and avoid the hobo jungles.
I don't think the tenor of the country is right for traveling like that.
Read the "Reacher" series of stories by Lee.

I don't pick up hitch hikers no more. Too much trouble. Unless I see a car with kids broke down. Last time I pick up a male hitch hiker with a Blackhawk small back pack.He became annoying with questions like I smoked this and drank this. Also talk about pistols and rifles but in such a way that I fiquired him for an informant or nar. By the way,it is against company and Federal regs to pick up hitch hikers. Pretty girls hitchiking,well,something fishy.

I used to paddle a White water kayak for years and do alot of solo backpacking. Hitching was a big part of the experience...now and days I think the cleaner cut you look the better for getting rides. Looking like an ax-murder does not bode well for your feet!

freaky/scary = walking
Less freaky/scary= riding

I have hitched as recent as a few years ago when I had a bicycle lie down on me out in the middle of no where. Old guy picked me up in a truck and I threw my bike in the back and hoped in the back. He insisted that I ride up front. Glad I did as he added to the experience.

If you really want to commit fly some place and HITCH BACK! or really make it interesting (scary) take a Grey hound!