• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Every now and then.......

This was and I hope still is considered an inside job. Not many people know of the safety systems Amtrak employs, nor the best way to override it.

They told you what happened, not how it happened. There's a lot more to it than one would think.

They showed how the track had been derailed and the wire loops between the tracks had been left intact so as to not break the circuit, and alert that there was a problem with the tracks. What more is there?

Taking down trains is child’s play. No one bothers because the rail system is, sadly, irrelevant. Even though trains are the last really civilized way to travel... I would love
To own a Pullman car!

Sirhr

An attack on Amtrak between DC and NYC would cause major disturbances and probably kill hundreds.

Taking down trains is child’s play. No one bothers because the rail system is, sadly, irrelevant. Even though trains are the last really civilized way to travel... I would love
To own a Pullman car!

Sirhr

I didn't know they showed that. There could be more if in certain areas of the rail system.'

Train still much more efficient (MPG) than 18 wheelers loaded up. Distribution is the problem though. Once big box distribution wasn't near a rail yard, that pretty much killed it. Not sure there's a way to actually fix that problem.

Reactions: Bender
I wonder what a D-10 cat with its ripper down would do 20 seconds before the train showed up?

The point is less that they knew how to take a train down. It's more that 25 years later the FBI still doesnt have a clue.

Points out two things to me: meticulous planning and strict opsec.

There is a lesson there for all of us.

I wonder what a D-10 cat with its ripper down would do 20 seconds before the train showed up?
It doesn't take much to demo track. If you parked that d-10 on the track, that would be ugly.

Train still much more efficient (MPG) than 18 wheelers loaded up. Distribution is the problem though. Once big box distribution wasn't near a rail yard, that pretty much killed it. Not sure there's a way to actually fix that problem.

Its called Intermodal. Lots of development and DCs around rail terminals these days.

We were shipping full containers to a particular customer from NY/long island to Michigan. 3 a week like clockwork.

We’d have a container dropped of and picked up the next day.

The cost was a little better than a 18 wheeler but the amount of follow up and appointment setting from rail yard etc was not worth it.

And the 18 wheelers had less transit time as well.

To own a Pullman car!

Sirhr
Funny you should mention that...

As a kid, we had an "Uncle" in the family (distant relative, but socially part of the "family"), that retired from the Railroad and actually had two rail cars set up on property next to Sweetwater lake, TX. I have some great childhood memories of summers and catching crappie on the floating pontoon dock, and then having fish fry's in between the two RR cars.

Of course, now those cars are gone (as is Uncle R.D.) and that area where we spent our summers is under water, since they increased the size of the lake to meet water demands as the area grew. 🙁

Progress has a price I suppose....

Reactions: EddieNFL
Used to ride dirt bikes around an area with tracks. Kids were always putting stuff on the tracks to watch what happened. Thank goodness they never derailed anything.

• Wow
Reactions: 308pirate
To own a Pullman car!

Sirhr

I yook the Amtrak California Zephyr from Emeryville/Oakland California to Chicago. I got a sleeper which includes all meal, which were surprisingly good. They time it so its day time while your crossing the scenic Sierra Nevadas and the Rockies, and sleeping during the boring flats in the desert and into Chicago. If you book far enough in advance its surprisingly affordable. Highly recommended.

California Zephyr | Amtrak Guide
amtrakguide.com › routes › california-zephyr

The California Zephyr Amtrak route travels between Chicago and Emeryville, California through the scenic Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevadas. Rivers ...

Reactions: jcmullis2
I yook the Amtrak California Zephyr from Emeryville/Oakland California to Chicago. I got a sleeper which includes all meal, which were surprisingly good. They time it so its day time while your crossing the scenic Sierra Nevadas and the Rockies, and sleeping during the boring flats in the desert and into Chicago. If you book far enough in advance its surprisingly affordable. Highly recommended.

California Zephyr | Amtrak Guide
amtrakguide.com › routes › california-zephyr

The California Zephyr Amtrak route travels between Chicago and Emeryville, California through the scenic Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevadas. Rivers ...
That’s the way to travel. Was gonna check it out when my son was going to school at Berkeley but I just never had the spare time.

I want to do the Zephyr... and the Canadian Rockies train.

Been a lot on trains in UK and EU... love it. Would love to do India on the Mahajraja Express.

The Orient Express Paris to Istanbul would be amazing, too. But at $15,000 POUNDS per person for the 6 day trip... gonna pass on that one!

Sirhr

I want to do the Zephyr... and the Canadian Rockies train.

Been a lot on trains in UK and EU... love it. Would love to do India on the Mahajraja Express.

The Orient Express Paris to Istanbul would be amazing, too. But at $15,000 POUNDS per person for the 6 day trip... gonna pass on that one!

Sirhr

You might even get to ride with the livestock in India or on the top of one of the cars like in the movie Ghandi