• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Everyone is adding weight to comp guns, why not mecury recoil reducers everywhere.

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
I was just looking at a thread where everyone seems to be adding weight to the Comp Chassis. ON the internal weight, why could someone not make of in the fore end that is like a mercury recoil reducer. You could reduce the weight making your transitions on stages faster and still reduce the recoil effectively. Am I missing something.

Heavier guns are more stable. The more energy it takes to move the gun, the more consistent it will be.

I’m not a match shooter, but there is a huge difference between shooting my tikka t3x super light and my sako a7 long range, even with my bench rest rest and rear bag.

I was just looking at a thread where everyone seems to be adding weight to the Comp Chassis. ON the internal weight, why could someone not make of in the fore end that is like a mercury recoil reducer. You could reduce the weight making your transitions on stages faster and still reduce the recoil effectively. Am I missing something.

The easiest fix would be something like a gigantic steel arca clamp for ease of install/removal. I've only ever seen the mercury recoil dampers in shotgun shooting and it's totally different thing because you're involvement is pretty much over once the trigger breaks. It's literally just to reduce felt recoil. Now with a magnified optic and all of the focus on spotting the shot/trace, I don't think you'd want all of that weight moving after the shot breaks and possibly moving the gun around.

I'd rather the weight be static than sloshing around as I move the stock around props and obstacles and such.

Mercury is also toxic as hell and probably not worth the hassle of working with for the perceived benefit.
Mercury isnt toxic as hell.

Methelated mercury is.

Long exposure to mercury fumes can build up in your brain and cause mad hatter symptoms.

Mercury isnt toxic as hell.

Methelated mercury is.

Long exposure to mercury fumes can build up in your brain and cause mad hatter symptoms.
Really? I’ll quote directly from the article for the reading impaired:

This liquid form of mercury is especially dangerous because it vaporizes at room temperature. And when it vaporizes, it fills the air with tiny, invisible mercury atoms that are both scentless and soluble in oils or fats.

85CB04C0-2544-441E-89FA-84B85E0F7CEB.jpeg

Lol. It's dangerous because it vaporizes at room temp.

Vapor is dangerous. In high concentrations.

But again, you need a long term buildup of vapor before it has serious effects.

Don't be afraid of it, but be respectful.

I run a mercury recoil reducer in the buffer tube on my xlr evolution in 375 snipetac. I don’t remember the weight but it wasn’t a real noticeable difference. It didn’t change the guns behavior or accuracy. I just added 6.5lbs to it before last match. Now, that made a difference. It also increased weight by about 20% though.

Just as Geno C. mentioned above, XLR Industries has been offering Mercury filled recoil reducing weights for their chassis systems for some time now. They also offer adjustable steel weight inserts. I have the mercury filled weight in the buttstock of 2 comp rifles, and I'm a fan. Is it drastically better than the regular steel weights? No, but it does seem to create a slightly smoother recoil impulse.

Reactions: XLR Industries
My rifle's butt stock has a large internal cavity. I took a piece of duct seal and filled the cavity and then inserted an old trap shooting mercury weight recoil reducer within. It's very stable, the duct seal adds even more weight and fits all of the irregular cavity nicely. I've never felt any sloshing. It made the rifle recoil characteristic much more tolerable for me (i'm terribly recoil sensitive...always have been).

Not sure if the benefit is merely from the added weight alone...but i had the recoil reducer left over from my old trap shooting days.

Reactions: Geno C.
I run prs matches. I have a heavy comp gun and run internal weights. I understand weight helps. I was just wonder about mercury recoil reducers.

For clarification, I was referring to the manufacturing costs of working with a hazmat substance like Mercury in terms of why it's not widely offered or accepted.

How many would you have to sell to offset the extra cost of working with mercury to make them? Dunno, but it might be part of why you don't see more of them.

That and the whole thing about being a gimmick with moving sloshy weight instead of static weight.

I digress.

For clarification, I was referring to the manufacturing costs of working with a hazmat substance like Mercury in terms of why it's not widely offered or accepted.

How many would you have to sell to offset the extra cost of working with mercury to make them? Dunno, but it might be part of why you don't see more of them.

That and the whole thing about being a gimmick with moving sloshy weight instead of static weight.

I digress.
Not so sure the slushing weight is a gimmick though. Think deadblow hammer

I digress.

Where can you still buy mercury in a quantity sufficient to use a weight in a rifle?

I've used a mercury reducer in a B&C stock on a .308 Savage. I know, a .308 isn't bad, but the older I get the more recoil sensitive I get. It helped quite a bit for me. As far as "sloshing"? Never noticed it. Ever.

I ran the mercury reducer in buffer tube of my xlr. I noticed about zero difference between it and the weight kit.

Might make a difference up front, but it didn’t seem to in the rear.

I ran the mercury reducer in buffer tube of my xlr. I noticed about zero difference between it and the weight kit.

Might make a difference up front, but it didn’t seem to in the rear.
I might spin a buffer out of steel next to add even a little more to this one. An all stainless xlr for the bigger guns would be sweet

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I have both the mecury and standard weight in an XLR. Running an action with availablility of several prefit barrels. With a heavy rifle no noticble difference with 6.5CM. Small difference in recoil pulse on 308. Just for grins I removed the weight kit from the from front and put light barrels on and the difference was more noticble.

From this limited data set Im thinking the difference will be more noticble with lighter heavier recoiling rifles. Proper mechanics still tump gadgets for recoil management......

There used to be some recoil reducers made of a material that 'shock' fractured or similar. Perhaps mercury. Maybe another kind of near-room-temp metal that didn't slosh. But when you fired, it transitioned from liquid to solid state momentarily and that absorbed a lot of energy.

I can't remember what it was called. But I remember it being advertised a lot in the 1980's. Or maybe I misunderstood the principle.

But I don't think it was Mercury.

That said, good adjustment, bag, shoulder placement, cheek weld, etc. generally are better than widgets, geegaws and potions.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Geno C. and lash