• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

everyone's opinion is wanted.

Sojurn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
MN
I'm looking for my next project. I want what I'm willing to call a Precision Rifle. I'd like to have a "thousand yard gun", but I live in northern Minnesota where 400 yards is a long shot. My experience is largely with ARs, and mine is averaging .5 to .75 moa with hand loads, but it's 5.56. I want more.

I've wanted a 6.5 Grendel for some time but not if it's going to average 2400 to 2500 fps with a 123 grain bullet. Also I'm wondering what the brass life is like for these in semi autos. Also, I'm limiting this to a 20" barrel. Any more than that and I think the advantage of having a semi auto (small light fast handling, fast shooting) is lost.

I'm also considering a bolt gun. The 6.5CM looks promising, but what gun? I don't want to change barrels or bottom metal. The stock I'm willing/kind of wanting to glass bed (sounds fun) but that's about at much as I want to do.
So an out of the box accurate rifle is what I'm interested in.

I've been avoiding the .308, only because it's common. Not for any real logical reason, and I could be talked into it.

I just want some thoughts, a think tank more or less. All opinions welcome, let's hear it.

This will not be a hunting rifle. It's a fun gun, I have a hunting rifle, I just want something else.
I've posted this thread on the Semi-Auto forum, so now if like to hear what the bolt gun experts have to say.
Also, if like to keep the rifle / upper around $1500.

My suggestion for the rifle is a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 CM. It's not that uncommon anymore and people think it outperforms the .308. I owned one of these and with factory Hornady ammo it easily shot .5-.75 and my handloads followed in the same steps. The only reason I didn't hold onto it was that the rest of my guns were .260 Rem.

Kinda gave my opinion in your S-A thread.
A savage LRP in 260 or 6.5CM is an easy in.

You can use it to pick off the Cessna sized skeeters!

I had a grendel in a 18" ar, it basically equals a 308 w/175smk@same speed. What i mean is the 123 gr 6.5 bullet has the same BC as a 175 gr 30 cal. About 2450 was all i could get, only a couple powders can get that speed in that small case. On the other hand alot of powders work with the 308, plus the plethora of quality match ammo in 308. If going bolt gun, i'd look at a savage 12 lrp in 6.5cm or 260 or the new tikka ctr in 260. After i got my lrp in 6.5 cm the grendel became a joke to me and i sold it after it collected dust for a year.

I should mention that under 600 yds my FN A3G 308 gives nothing up to a 6.5 cm. I do run 155 ncc@2925. But wind at 1000 seperates the 308 and 6.5/260. No matter how fast u run it the 308 bc can't catch the bc of 6.5 mm 140gr, and that starts becoming apparent past 600yds.

If you enjoy handling I would say go with a 260. Great ballistics out to a long way. If you want quality ammo you can find at a good price almost anywhere 6.5cm is the way to go. I'm currently looking to get rid of my .308 to move to a 6.5cm due to the ballistics as well as the price tag of good factory match ammo.

I think .308 is just fine for long range and there is plenty of surplus ammo and load data out there. When you get one, lets find a place we can shoot 1k yards up here....with mittens on.

I think .308 is just fine for long range and there is plenty of surplus ammo and load data out there. When you get one, lets find a place we can shoot 1k yards up here....with mittens on.

Here is a list of NRA sanctioned tournaments.

http://www.nrapublications.org/wp-content/ComingEvents/CE_Download.pdf

Even if you don't want to shoot in sanctioned tournaments, it will provide a listing of ranges in your area where there is an active shooting program, and tournaments are listed by distance so you will be able to see how long the range is. Long range rifle tournaments start on page 24. Many are listed as "High Power Rifle" which sounds like OTC (over the course) traditional HP rifle, but many tournaments also shoot F Class at the same time on appropriate targets. The "Other Tournaments" section is quite long and is broken down by state. There is contact information including email addresses and physical addresses for snail mail.

Find something close enough to you, get the info you need, and go shoot. I have yet to go to a new range as a stranger and not feel welcomed.

How about 6.5 cm in AR platform, I have a POF sub MOA AR 10 in 6.5 CM, 20" Rock Creek barrel. You can have the best of both worlds. Also if you are wanting to stay in AR 15 world you should look at the 6mmX223 it is pretty impressive.

If you want to dedicate it to LR look into a Remington Sendero in 300RUM or even 300WM. You get a pretty solid starter rifle that will most likely shoot .5-.75 MOA with a good bedding job and some judicious handloading. This lets you get a 210 Berger VLD or 208 AMAX into the 3200FPS range to reach the edge of the next zip code for not a lot of money.

Once you torch the sendero barrel, you already have a solid stock and action to build on. A rebarrel will keep you going a bit longer or you can switch up to 338EDGE without much trouble.

If you are recoil shy, a CenterShot Rifles Muscle brake turns the 300RUM into a kitten...albeit a loud kitten. No sense trying to reach the next county with a tiny bullet that rides the wind like a kite and has no ass when you get there..

If you want something a bit different, the remington long range hunter in 30'06 would be neat.
Handloaded with 190 smks or 2-8 amaxs and it will reach a furr piece.

Cooper Arms makes a really nice "out of the box" rifle that will hang with the best of them with no modifications at all. They even come fully bedded. They're a little pricey, but the actions are buttery smooth, the trigger is gtg, the stock is nice and you can count on 1/2 moa or better accuracy. The higher cost is offset by the fact that you don't need to do anything to them and from what I hear, the factory will do barrel replacements on them very inexpensively if you bought the rifle new. They come in a number of configurations and have a great line-up of available calibers including some very hard to find choices. If you plan on using it for some high volume range work, I would look at the varmint models with the heavier profile barrel. I have one in 6mm Rem and it rocks!

Also, since Coopers are much lighter than your typical tactical or target rifle, you can use it for hunting as well. I know you said you already have a hunting rifle, but trust me, if you get a Cooper, you will want to take it out in the field.

Gunbroker.com usually has a pretty good selection from various dealers. That's where I bought mine and I got a really good deal on it.

The Creedmoor is stupid easy to shoot and load for. It also isn't really overkill for 3 and 400yd shooting. Just a well balanced round.

I'm sure the same could be said for the 260, but I've never owned one.

Laffin, completely forgot I bought a 260 reamer from skog a year or so back. Might have to use it one of these days.

I would also say a Savage LRP. Out of the box hard to beat for the price. HS precision stock that you can bed really needs nothing else to get started

The Creedmoor is stupid easy to shoot and load for. It also isn't really overkill for 3 and 400yd shooting. Just a well balanced round.

I'm sure the same could be said for the 260, but I've never owned one.

This^ I learned more on my .308 but my 6.5 makes me look like a pro at the range.

I kinda had the same idea as you did, OP. The whole "fun gun" theme led me to a 20" .300WM 5R Remington 700. The 20" barrel sort of tames the whole overkill idea of the .300 WinMag, I got it with an XLR tactical evolution folding chassis and some other goodies from Oakland Tactical here on the Hide. Definitely fits the fun gun them for me and 1000 yards should be doable with decent repeatability all for just over $1500.00. Deals are out there, it's a buyers market at the moment dude.