• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Evolution of my first comp 40XB rimfire

gszeto99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Illinois, USA
<span style="font-size: 17pt">From plain jane CMP 40xb rifle to nearly a custom one.</span>

2sakr41.jpg

2dqcgo.jpg

b63fie.jpg

2dqcgo.jpg

la4b8.jpg

2dqcgo.jpg

34pfcxf.jpg

Re: Evolution of my first comp 40XB rimfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Quite a journey. What are all the different stocks pictured? Especially the second to last one? </div></div>

It's an MDT Tac 21 chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Quite a journey. What are all the different stocks pictured? Especially the second to last one? </div></div>

Yes the rifle has evolved quite a bit.

There were two other stocks that the rifle was in but I don't have pictures of them. First stock rifle was in even before it got cut down to 20" was a H-S Precision PST-025 stock black. The second stock it was in was a AICS 2.0 S/A Rem 700 stock in black. I'm not sure why but I always seems end up with black stocks for the 40-XB even though I have had stocks of other colors on other rifles.

The first one pictured is a Choate Tactical stock with a karsten's cheek rest installed. At this point barrel has been cut to 20" measured from the recoil lug and a 11 degree crown also been cut. This was all done by a local gunsmith. This was also the reason I bought myself a lathe. I waited over a month for the gunsmith to do a 30 minute job. I visit his shop regularly and most of the time he is just sitting in his chair not doing anything so it should not take him a month. He finally did the cut and recrown during one of my visits while I was there. But I am getting off topic now so back to the topic. The scope mount is a very cheap weaver 1 piece rail mounts ( I wanted to get the scope as low as possible on the rifle. Badger Std steel rings (aka badger low steel rings). And a 37mm ST-10 USO MOA/MOA scope with ERGO and Illumination to top things off. The rifle was used as a position gun as well as a bench gun so I filled the butt area of the stock with lead shot to balance things out. This rifle was HEAVY (16+ pounds) and yes I shot it offhand in our matches.

Swift Fox is correct the second stock pictured is a MDT Tac21 stock chassis. Changes to this setup was I needed higher scope rings so I used a set that I got has part of a package deal. They were advertised as smith enterprise steel rings although there are no marking on them to indicate they were smith enterprise rings. I also added a scope mounted swivel USO ACD (anti cant device--basically a bubble level). The buttstock is a Magpul PRS ar-15 stock. The pistol grip is an ERGO grip. The stock felt comfortable but I had to make modifications to it for that no play fit on the rear of the stock (the rubber piece they include with the kit is not enough--the but stock would still wiggle even with it instaled). There were a couple of other things I did not like about the stock so I finally returned it to Brownell's. Awesome customer service from Brownells by the way.

The last stock pictured is a KRG W3C stock Remingon 700/40-X S/A version. This stock is originally all black but the previous owner had it duracoated in Sako Green. The scope, rings, and mount has been updated as well. The mount is a Nightforce 20MOA steel mount. For the rings I went back to the Badger STD rings and continued using the USO ACD. The scope is now a USO ST-10 44mm MOA/MOA with EREK, ERGO, Windage Stop, and Illumination.

So yeah it has been quite a journey. Thanks to all who gave support and compliments. I just completed 2 40X rifles on my new to me lathe from 1985. I their journeys have just begun. I may show their before and after pictures sometime in the future.

I like the first one.

1+ on Org and 2nd stock. but Im an old wood and blue that is has been using a composite as a truck gun and 80% of deer hunting..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine:

2wox6o9.jpg
</div></div>

FAmiliar?

Just remember seeing it couple years ago in another thread.

Got any pics/thoughts on the before/after cutting the barrel down to 20"??

Regards,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine:

2wox6o9.jpg
</div></div>

FAmiliar?

Just remember seeing it couple years ago in another thread.

Got any pics/thoughts on the before/after cutting the barrel down to 20"??

Regards,
DT </div></div>

Awesome...you found it.

I can't find any pics of this rifle in 28" barrel configuration with the H-S Precision PST-025 stock it was fist in. It shot in the 0's and 1's at 50m back then. I had the barrel cut to 20" and it no longer shot in the 0's and 1's. It shot mostly in the 2's and 3's at 50m and if I am luck I will get one in the 1's.

So the moral to this story is:
1) If your rifle shoots good already don't cut the barrel
2) Not all gunsmiths know what they are talking about (the 40x does have a choke at the end of the barrel--cutting off 8" from it will take the choke off). My, now former, gunsmith told me there was no choke at the end of the barrel when I asked him about it and that cutting 8" of the end would not hurt accuracy.

I recently acquired a rusty 40xb barreled action. The bore looked good so I did a test with it. I cut the barrel to 18" and recrowned it on my new to me 1985 manufactured lathe. I shot some groups then I went back home put the choke back into the front of the barrel (about 1" length of choke) and shot some more groups. I found out that yes having the choke does increase the accuracy of the barrel. After choke install groups were tighter than before choke groups. Not saying this will work with all barrels and rifles but it worked well with this particular 40xb.

Gene

How do you put choke back onto a cut barrel?

That part is easy. I turn down the front of the barrel. I then made a ring where at room temperature the I.D. is a little bit smaller than the O.D. of the turned down front of the barrel. I then super heat the ring and slip that on the front of the barrel while it is still hot. Freezing the barrel is not necessary. When the ring cools down it will squeeze the front of the barrel creating the choke. The idea a really simple but it's getting the dimensions right that is tough.

Gene