• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Excess Burned Powder On Case Neck

CVO

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
Tampa Florida
I was noticing today that some of my loads were more black than normal. What is the common cause?

BTW, .308 using Varget out of a R5.

Re: Excess Burned Powder On Case Neck

Your rifle has afirmative action.
laugh.gif

Work hardening of the case, the brass is not springing out as far as new brass will. This is allowing the powder gasses to travel between the case and the chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Work hardening of the case, the brass is not springing out as far as new brass will. This is allowing the powder gasses to travel between the case and the chamber. </div></div>

This was the first reload on these cases, Lapua and Nosler. They were trimmed and neck sized only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your rifle has afirmative action.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Oh....Man....Thats bad!!
grin.gif

Your fireformed cases have a greated capacity than your virgin brass. Greater capacity means lower pressures with the same powder charge. Lower pressures mean more carbon on your neck.

Did they group the same?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your fireformed cases have a greated capacity than your virgin brass. Greater capacity means lower pressures with the same powder charge. Lower pressures mean more carbon on your neck.

Did they group the same? </div></div>

No they didn't, that's why I figured the necks were telling me something.

Up the charge by half a grain if they be Winchesters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CVO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was noticing today that some of my loads were more black than normal. What is the common cause?

BTW, .308 using Varget out of a R5. </div></div>

Maybe you're trimming your cases too short and you're getting gas blow by?

Rems have long throats, so maybe let them grow a bit, thereby creating a better gas seal.

Chris

Some points:

Adjusting loads upward should be done only after verifying that pressure signs indicate some room for charge growth. Because neck sooting can have several causes, it should not be the sole indicator that more pressure is needed. BTW, neither the sooting nor the underlying causes indicate any problems, as such.

Case length growth should never be allowed to procede beyond SAAMI maximum case length limits. Period.

The advice in the above posts remains valid, but please make sure the basic handloading precautions don't get bypassed.

The cause you ask about is a failure of the neck to seal against the chamber's interior. It can be the result of a pressure deficit, work hardened necks, or a combination of both. Observing pressure signs, mostly at the base of the cartridge, can help confirm the former. Increased tool resistance when operating in the vicinity of the neck, increased projectile seating resistance, and possible bullet saving when seating, are all potential indicators of work hardened necks. Unless you anneal your cases, said indicators are telling you the cases' lifespan is nearing its end.

Greg

What's the best way to get this powder off. Tumbling doesn't do it, and fine steel wool is a lot of work, though I have not dipped the wool in powder slovent.

Also, while I don't care that my loads don't shine like new, if I'm missing something in the cleaning process,maybe my media is worn out; enlighten me. What's that additive that is suppose to recharge media? Flitz?

Use steel wool while spinning the case in a drill or a Sinclair power station.

I have been having the same problem with Hornady Match brass in my .308. I am running 47.0-47.5gr of varget with 155gr SMKs and still no pressure signs, also the velocity is around 2800 or less out of a 20" barrel. The cases only weigh 156gr, so I think I will try some winchester or something a little heavier to get the pressure up some and the velocity. The 47.5gr load is compressed.

Getting the carbon off. I figure it's not a big issue, and doesn't seem to interfere with the actual handloading process.

I tumble the cases clean as usual, what carbon remains is diminished, and I leave it on while I complete the cartridge assembly.

When all handloading is done, I use #0 steel wool to polish each entire cartridge. It takes a lot less time it do it on an assembled round, and leaves the round spotless as it enters the cartridge box.

For 100 rounds, it's maybe a 15-20 minute mindless exercise while watching TV.

Greg

Good word Greg. Will brasso help or is there ammonia in it? I hear, stay away from ammonia in the case prep process. At least in the media.

some other observations ....

virgin brass used in a new barrel w/fresh tooling...(new ,fresh chamber). .. will NOT exhibit carbon flash on the necks.

Last can of Brasso I read confirmed what my calibrated nose told me: it HAS ammonia. Stay far away.