• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Excessive Copper Fouling!!!

knutson24

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2010
North Pole
Been working up some loads for my AR 25 WSSM and I've been having a heck of a time with copper fouling after only 5-6 rounds. Any ideas why this is happening and how can I fix it would be appreciated.

Knutson

Re: Excessive Copper Fouling!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Moly would help (coating your bullets/bore)...
What bullets/load are you using. </div></div>
117gr SST's ove 46gr of W760. I also got good groups with 48gr if W760 but started to get flattened primers.

I'd try some JB bore paste and work the throat very well.
You can "feel" the rough spots smooth out.

Some sweet's 7.62 solvent should be used first to try to dissolve as much copper as you can.
(clean out all ammonia after sitting for 10 minutes)

Tubb final finish bullets could be used as well.

With quality barrels, this will almost never happen.

It's on an OLY 25wssm AR15 upper so not sure who made the barrel but it is SS. I'll give it the JB treatment and see how it works

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd try some JB bore paste and work the throat very well.
You can "feel" the rough spots smooth out.

Some sweet's 7.62 solvent should be used first to try to dissolve as much copper as you can.
(clean out all ammonia after sitting for 10 minutes)

Tubb final finish bullets could be used as well.

With quality barrels, this will almost never happen. </div></div>

+1 for sure, this is what I did to my LR-308 and it worked wonders.