• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

excessive pressure signs??

7.62_Reaper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
My 338 LM that i just got to shoot right (it was me not the gun) is showing signs of excessive pressure with my reloads i.e. flattened primer and the bolt sticks when extracting. the load i just used is as follows: 3 times fired lapua brass, CCI large mag primers, 285gr hornady match bullets and 92gr of H1000. people here have told me that they use up to 96gr of powder with no issue and if my memory is correct i started having trouble extracting at around 90.5 gr of H1000. the rifle is new i only have 255 rounds down the barrel and this is my first large mag rifle….is this typical to have with 338 LM, i really don't want to change anything on the load since i just started getting good groups with it I'm just worried about damaging something.

My 338 LM that i just got to shoot right (it was me not the gun) is showing signs of excessive pressure with my reloads i.e. flattened primer and the bolt sticks when extracting. the load i just used is as follows: 3 times fired lapua brass, CCI large mag primers, 285gr hornady match bullets and 92gr of H1000. people here have told me that they use up to 96gr of powder with no issue and if my memory is correct i started having trouble extracting at around 90.5 gr of H1000. the rifle is new i only have 255 rounds down the barrel and this is my first large mag rifle….is this typical to have with 338 LM, i really don't want to change anything on the load since i just started getting good groups with it I'm just worried about damaging something.
Is the brass 3x fired from your rifle, or you bought used brass?

What's your COAL? Are you touching the lands, jumping or jamming? Have you FL sized between firings or just neck size?

The reason being a lower powder charge can produce a pressure spike if the COAL is too long for your rifle and you're jamming into the lands. Also, brass that hasn't been properly sized will have very little room to spring and expand, creating further pressure issues. But you probably know this so I'm just being thorough.

Dude, I've been down this road more than I'd like to admit. Below is a picture of my setup to pull a stuck case (head separation) out of the chamber after having the same issues you're having. Your load is fine but you need to make sure you're not jamming and if you're not then you need to buy a head-space gauge and make sure you're setting your shoulders back just right. I was setting my shoulders back to far ~.008" and was getting the exact problems you're having but when I set them back ~.001/2" the problem went away. I shoot 300gr at 91.5 H1000 and no sticky bolt or flat primers anymore.

Seriously, get a head-space gauge before you end up having to pull separated cases out like I did. The brass that separated was 2x fired (by me) Lapua. PM me if you have problems/questions, I've been down this road...

3343vvb.jpg

No the rifle is not a savage it is a custom build by Dave Viers the bullets are seated .0025 off the rifling

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Was this a change in behavior or has it been a continuing problem? 338's are notorious for developing a carbon ring between the end of the case and the end of the neck section of the chamber causing pressure increases. Stick your bore brush in and give it a few twists after a good soaking of powder solvent. I do that as part of my cleaning routine regardless of caliber.

That might be the issue cause the necks always comes out with a lot of carbon on the neck I'll give it a cleaning and see if that helps

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just a quick check I do anytime I'm reloading is insert a bullet into a fired case. If there is any resistance you have problems. Carbon, case length, necks to thick etc.