• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Expensive Lesson

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida
This is for all you guys who have invested your hard earned $$$ on a bore scope. I have a Hawkeye bore scope which I bought many years ago. I have never had an issue with it, and it has saved lots of time guessing as to what's up in a chamber or bore. I've always handled it like a baby.

The other day a freind having issues with extraction on his first built rifle came over. I set up his rifle on the work bench, and broke his AI 2.0 stock over to get rear acess to his rifles chamber with the scope. I relied on the bipod, and rear monopod to keep the rifle steady. Well, with the rifles stock folded to one side, the rifle was now heavy to the right side. Dumb dumb me didn't recognize the potential problem. When I put the scopes tube in for a look at his chamber, the rifle tipped over causing the tube to flex a bit. That was enough to break the internal parts that send back the images.

The eye piece went black. I called the company and explained what had happened. They explained what they believed had happened, and quoted me $250.00 plus shipping to fix it.

Moral of the story is, DON'T FLEX THE TUBE AT ALL.

Just wanted to save you all the pain and expense .

Re: Expensive Lesson

Ouch sorry to hear about that. Nothing quite like that oh shit feeling is threre, Ive done it once or twice myself, mostly at work so it was not on my dime but felt terrible just the same

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The way I see it, it must be AI's fault for designing it that way : ). </div></div>

LOL!! You all have a Happy New Year.

for that price, I'd look at getting a flexible digital bore scope

That sucks!!!!! I came close to flexing one on more than one occasion. I looked at so many barrels I was getting vertigo and headaches from inspecting them and watching the rifling come at me and go away from me. SO- the engineer built a cradle and FINALLY got it hooked up to a computer so I could look at a screen.
Much better- however more than once a barrel tried to move and flexed the scope, thankfully not enough to break it.

Ive had my AIAE 2.0 folded once, and it almost fell of the counter. So now I don't fold it anymore
laugh.gif

By the way... 1/2 way through your story i figured the rifle had fallen over and you crushed his S&B or something... Sad that your borescope broke... but maybe better than oweing him $3500.

It COULD always be worse- on the bright side- Stan brings up a point!

Hi, I flexed my tube just the once and only slightly, I managed to straighten it by eye using an engineering straight edge. I treat it with kid gloves now, only used with the rifle in the cleaning rest and not ever loaned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel your Pain, 8-9 years ago I was bore scoping a rifle and sneezed violently and broke one.</div></div>

Bad, but not as bad as my buddy who had a hell of a sneeze while feeding a board into his table saw. Barely nicked the bone at the tip of his thumb
eek.gif
Still, that injury healed on its own; borescopes won't.

Man, a couple years ago I was at SHOT show checking out bore scopes and was thinking how neat it would be to have one. Then they told me the price....

It claimed in one of the posts below the video you could get one from snap-on.com for about 500. Found a listing on ebay that sold for 220.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, a couple years ago I was at SHOT show checking out bore scopes and was thinking how neat it would be to have one. Then they told me the price....

</div></div>

The price of these made me shart my pants! Good god men,... start buying more so the price will drop, will ya?
wink.gif

X-Ring,you're starting to sound like some of my friends who like to spend <span style="text-decoration: underline">my</span> money, or in this case Ozzie's.
wink.gif

"Expensive Lesson" is what they should rename Dremel Tools
cry.gif
. Some of my goofs with that thing... Ouch!

Sorry to hear about your scope, & the "learning curve" experience it just gave you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STR has enough money to buy thaousands and then burn them all
smile.gif
</div></div>

Boy, I wish that was true. Maybe after I'm done raising my 5 kids I'll get to keep some of it, LOL.

The way I see it, it must be AI's fault for designing it that way : ).

Thats how a Liberal would see it for sure! lee

The way I see it, it must be AI's fault for designing it that way : ).

Thats how a Liberal would see it for sure! lee

Yes, I know it was expensive, and there are options now. When I bought this tool, I didn't know of a less expensive option, and I needed it. It has helped me solve a lot of problems without having to guess. I got it back very quickly, and its like brand new again. Their customer service was awesome.

Do units like the Snap-on have a 90 degree lens that will fit in a bore? I use the 90 tube on the hawkeye 99% of the time.

My old eyes would sure rather look at something on a 26" monitor.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrm850</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do units like the Snap-on have a 90 degree lens that will fit in a bore? I use the 90 tube on the hawkeye 99% of the time.

My old eyes would sure rather look at something on a 26" monitor.
smile.gif
</div></div>

My eyes would like the same, and Hawkeye offers an attachment for our borescope, but I can't justify it for hobby work.