• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience with Leica 2800/3500.COM

NodakBarbarian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2019
North Dakota
I have the Fury 5000 AB ranging bino’s but thinking of returning them and going with the .COM Leica to pair with my Kestrel 5700 elite. Has anyone had experience with these? Want something that talks to my Kestrel and will update DOF. Has Leica fixed the connectivity issues? Also, has anyone used the app with their iwatch? Thanks

Last edited:
I have the Fury 5000 AB ranging bino’s but thinking of returning them and going with the .COM Leica to pair with my Kestrel 5700 elite. Has anyone had experience with these? Want something that talks to my Kestrel and will update DOF. Has Leica fixed the connectivity issues? Also, has a phone used the app with their iwatch? Thanks
I have a 2800. I don't use those features but if cost is not an issue get the 3500. I don't think anyone has ever regretted bringing too much laser to the party. The 2800 is nice and I've got returns past 1500 yards under ideal conditions but conditions are rarely ideal.

I have the 2800.com and it seems to do all right. Glass is good, text is legible, and ranging distance seems to be spot on at least to 600 yards so far. That said, the menu and button system is not intuitive.

I saw multiple Leicas fail attempting to range targets in snow in mid-day light at a match recently. The Sig Kilo 3000s were the best, followed by the new Vortex with AB. Had a buddy who had to borrow a set of Sigs to even compete in the match because his Leicas would not ping targets. The Leica glass is really nice though.

The 3500 is the best rangefinder I’ve used, including the Terrapin X (OK, the Vectronix PLRF-25 is way better, but I’ve never owned one and it’s hardly in the same market). I haven’t had issues with Bluetooth but also don’t use that feature a ton.

I have owned a pair of Leica 10x42 BRF’s for about 15 years. The glass is excellent, but I have never been overly impressed with their range finding capabilities. After using them for 6 years, I even returned them to Leica for re-collimating. While performance improved, ranging deer much beyond 600 yards was still hit or miss.

When the 3200.Com‘s came out early last year I contemplated replacing my 10x42 BRF’s, but backed off after reading several of the threads here on the Hide that documented the connectivity issues. While I had every reason to believe that the glass would be up to Leica’s reknowned performance and very much valued the benefit of being able to carry a single unit in the field (rangefinder and binocular), I just couldn’t bring myself to spring for a product that seemed to be experiencing growing pains.

Still wanting to improve range finding performance and gain the utility of interfacing a rangefinder with a Kestrel 5700 ELITE AB with Link., I Bought a Leica 3500.Com last fall for around a third of the cost of the 3200.Coms even though they were reported to have some of the same connectivity issues.

After spending some time learning how to set the 3500.Com up and experimenting how to use them with the Kestrel 5700 ELITE AB with Link, I spent a week in Texas hunting with the 3500.Coms and came away with the following observations:

Glass and Range finding performance are excellent. I had no issues ranging steel out to 800 yards or deer out to 1200 yards, as long as I could get a steady position when lazing the target. That’s not to say that the 3500.Com’s couldn’t range these size targets much farther , I just didn’t have the occasion to do so. Ranging larger objects such as tree lines and houses were no problem whatsoever. One clear morning, I repeatedly ranged a house at over 3300 yards with consistent results.

While I did experience occasional connectivity issues, I was able to minimize the number of instances by using a few, simple hacks.

First, make sure to have a fresh lithium battery installed. Connectivity is vastly improved if you can place the Kestrel in front of, and at least level with, the 3500.Com; it seemed better if the Kestrel was slightly elevated. Connectivity was still possible with the Kestrel behind the 3500.Com, but connectivity fell off rapidly with distance. That said, I had very few connectivity issues sitting at a bench with the Kestrel mounted on a vane and tripod 3-4 feet laterally. I was able to simultaneously link the Kestrel to the 3500.Com and an IPhone or IPad using Link. Occasionally, I would notice bogus windage solutions displayed in the Rangerfinder’s viewfinder, but that bogus windage solution in the rangefinder’s viewfinder was always accompanied by a correct windage solution on the Kestrel’s display.

For each new session, I would turn the 3500.Com on first, turn on the Kestrel, then go through the pairing sequence noted in the Manual. It is important to note that the Bluetooth Icon is displayed in the 3500.Coms viewfinder before proceeding. I had very few issues getting the 3500.Com to wake up and talk to the Kestrel as long as I woke up the 3500.Com with the function button first, made sure that the Bluetooth Icon was displayed in the 3500.Coms viewfinder, and only then proceed to ranging.

A few words on Customer Service... Hamilton Boykin, Leica Customer Service Rep, was a great resource for interpreting the sometimes less-than-user-friendly manual. While it sometimes took a day, He always responded to my calls and e-mails. Hell, one time he even called me back when he was duck hunting! I include his contact information herein for convenience, but have read that some have recently not been able to get in touch with him. Hopefully, he’s still in the game. +1 (843) 532-2472, [email protected].

Regards
JHC

Last edited:
Reactions: DellaDog
I have the Fury 5000 AB ranging bino’s but thinking of returning them and going with the .COM Leica to pair with my Kestrel 5700 elite. Has anyone had experience with these? Want something that talks to my Kestrel and will update DOF. Has Leica fixed the connectivity issues? Also, has anyone used the app with their iwatch? Thanks
What did you not like about the vortex 5000ab?

It’s always amazed me how $3000 in equipment can’t communicate properly more than a few feet away. My phone can connect to an Amazon Bluetooth receiver through walls and different levels in my house and cost $20. It’s not like there’s a paucity of shooters willing to drop the coin on the best glass.
I wonder what the barrier is prohibiting these companies from perfecting this connection?

It’s always amazed me how $3000 in equipment can’t communicate properly more than a few feet away. My phone can connect to an Amazon Bluetooth receiver through walls and different levels in my house and cost $20. It’s not like there’s a paucity of shooters willing to drop the coin on the best glass.
I wonder what the barrier is prohibiting these companies from perfecting this connection?
Wireless technology in general is just not very reliable. I've had innumerable problems with Bluetooth on every sort of device. Connecting my phone to my car is a nightmare. The only wireless connection that seems to work most of the time is Apple's AirPods and then only if you are using them with a single device.

I agree. I have a Bluetooth speaker that will connect and be crystal clear through 6 walls when I don’t want it too, or my phone will connect to my pickup when I’m inside and the trucks outside. But like you said, $3K in gear and they can’t muster up 6’??? Why can’t they make it 50’, heck you’d think 25’ would be a minimum.

I was considering switching from Fury 5000 AB to Leica 3500.COM but reviews make it seem that the Leica’s are 6’ BT range, which you’d basically have to be shooting under your tripod if one device was elevated and the other was on the ground. It seems like these company’s that are developing technology for hunting/shooting applications have a motto of “we got close....good enough”, and they bring it to market instead of finishing the job right.

Last edited:
During my conversations with Hamilton Boykin, Leica Sport Optics Representative, he conveyed that Leica is aware of the connectivity issues and are working on a solution. Both the 3200.com‘s & 3500.com‘s have internal antennae and metal housings that are sealed to adequately protect the electronics from the elements that they are both sure to see in hunting Environments.

Regards
JHC

My iPhone 12 is waterproof and still connects in all the ways Nodak mentioned. It’s not like this is a new issue, that’s my point. I certainly believe if it was easy it would be done by now BUT I still fail to understand why it’s so challenging. I went with Sig because of the plethora of negative feedback on connection performance of Leica. Sig has been great so far in every aspect. I feel the glass is very good. I don’t need Leica level glass as the glass quality in the 3000bdx has never been an issue. That being said, with two ZCO’s and a Schmidt Bender, I would definitely have bought the best glass I could had the ranging and performance issues been corrected.

Bringing this back from the dead. Looking to get a rangefinder and have it narrowed to the Razor HD 4000 and the 2800.com. How do the two compare?

I had the Razor HD 4000. Now have the Sig Kilo 5K, good unit.
Bringing this back from the dead. Looking to get a rangefinder and have it narrowed to the Razor HD 4000 and the 2800.com. How do the two compare?
What did you decide. I’m in a similar boat…looking to upgrade after my Leica 2000-b. Was planning to buy RF binos but went with the NL’s instead…

Agreed, my Terrapin-x is terrible, and Safran has the means. WTF is up with these companies.