• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Experience with Tubbs Final Finish?

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    I read through all 5 pages of the barrel break in thread and came away with the only conclusion that one could. There is a lot of "discussion" about this issue. I don't really want to rehash that here, however, it did spark a question in me. To preface, I have never followed a published break in procedure for a firearm. But, the question I have is, does anyone have first hand negative experience with Tubbs Final Finish? Has anyone used it and came to the conclusion that it was bad for the barrel? Also, I'd like to limit the discussion to standard factory barrels.

I've got a brand new DMPS LR-308 and am contemplating my first move... Thanks.

Re: Experience with Tubbs Final Finish?

If I'm running a factory barrel I use it. I have never had a negative comment about it. It works.

In a factory barrel all of the benefits would probably outweigh the majority of the negatives. I finally broke down and gave it a try on my sons factory Win model 70 featherweight in .243 win. This interior barrel surface looked like a shiny copper penny looking through a bore scope with only 3 rounds. It had very rough tooling marks. I used the Tubbs FF with the preloaded ammo. The 20 rounds did a pretty nice job on a rough barrel. I had my buddy load me 15 rounds of Tubbs finest grit bullets to finish the job. Under the bore scope the barrel was nicely polished. Little to no fouling now and overall groups improved just slightly. I can say the gun consistently shoots 1 moa with 3 rounds. Before it was a 1” to 1 1/2 moa rifle.

In the end it solved the huge copper fouling problem we had.

I ran them through two barrels. One was a heavy fouler and it cleaned it up some, although no change (good or bad) in what was already an accurate rifle. The other was not a factory barrel and I probably should have let it be.

I just did this to my factory 700 in 30-06 a couple of days ago. I am very happy that I went ahead and did this. Before my barrel was so rough that after 3 shots it looked like a penny in the barrel, like a previous poster had said, and would take tons of scrubbing,patches, and waiting to get it clean. Also my rifle was only shooting 3" groups at 100 with some cheap federal fusion 150 gr. After I ran the 20 rounds through, and cleaning after every 5, it shoots and cleans much better. First 5 rounds I put through after the polishing shrank my groups to 1.5" and when looking down the bore could see no copper. When I cleaned after those five shots I had 2 patches come out blue and then it was done. I was hesitant at first, but am very happy that I did it now. I think with some ammo selection and the soon to be coming hand loads, the rifle should be able to get MOA. Good luck!!
    Travis

I've used it precisely once, on one barrel. At approximately the same time, I used the Beartooth Bullets fire-lapping 'kit' on another barrel. Both were SUPER-heavy copper foulers.

The Beartooth kit did a great job reducing copper fouling. Accuracy was already good, while the barrel was clean, so the fire lapping just let it stay that way much longer than before.

The Final Finish kit did absolutely nothing to reduce copper fouling, nor to improve accuracy.

This was a 1-barrel-each 'test,' so the results could be very different if I did 2 other rifles. Nevertheless, I won't be purchasing the Final Finish product again. If I wish to fire lap in the future, I'll use Beartooth Bullets' system/method.