• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Experienced .223 Hunters

Rediculous

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
South Carolina
I am currently using 55g hornady Vmax in the AR for hunting. I am very happy with it. Are there any heavier grained loads that produce like the Vmax out there? I would like a 69-77 grain varient of this product. I've killed a coyote and hog with the 55 Vmax and both were DRT, but the hog was only ~200lbs. Also i've looked at heavy grain HP boat tails but have no experince with them. What effect can you expect with the HP BTs and soft points in heavier loadss? Thanks

Re: Experienced .223 Hunters

I have shot lots of deer and hogs with 69and 75 grainers. I have a buddy that shots 55 gr. soft points with hogs. Most all our shots are neck and head shots. The plate is to thick and big for 22 cals on bigger hogs. Main thing is what shoots good in your guns. I have Rock Rivers and he has S&W M&P and a Rock River.

Look up hog hunting with ARsn youtube. Good luck

I've only used 223 Barnes bullets on deer and have found no reason to look elsewhere.

Hornady 75 A-Max's seem to work pretty well on varmint.

It's all in what you are trying to do and how far away you want to do it. I play with the 68/69 grn hollow points, but in both of my "go to" predator guns (223 & 22-250) the 55 grn Hornady softpoints have never let me down and are typically what's in 'em when I grab one.

Cheers,
Breeze

I don't see a need to run a HP when Barnes TSX work so well. Also try fusions or Win. 64gr sp.

I've used v-max before and killed them, but Barnes are awesome in penetration. Also used a special run of American Eagle 63gr SP with excellent results. I had over 18" of penetration with these.

to make this question more applicable: What heavy grained .223/5.56 round is going to stop a larger animal? Say a whitetail or >300lbs hog.

Your 223 is more than adequate to stop any whitetail, with reasonably good shot placement. We cull a trailer or two full of whitetails every year, most shot with a .223, DRT with good shot. And they can run off with a poor shot from a 300WM, so take care to make a good shot. Also, most of those are Vmax 55 grain.

For larger pigs, the Vmax isn't good. Use a heavier Barnes, IF... IF your rifle has enough twist to stabilize it. Personally, I'd recommend buying a 6.8 upper and using that instead, especially if recovering the hog is in your plans. You can kill them with a .223 as these were, but they weren't too big. Plus, you can stop the pigs a big faster - turns out I got a couple more that we didn't find for a couple days.......

hogs1small.jpg

Hogs2small.jpg

My AR is 1:8 twist; enough for the heavy stuff and that basically answered my ?. I notice that the 55g Vmax would not penetrate well on a heavy boned wide hog. I'll probably try some PSP and maybe a HP BT over 65g.

Thanks for the responses

I have used 55 grain SGK bullets with good luck on deer. The hogs normally just get the 55 gr or 62 gr FMJ and it performs really well. I have shot about 25 hogs and haven't had one get away yet. The FMJ will penetrate through any pigs "armor" there is.

Barnes are your friends! Kills everything dearer then hell. I think it even been known to kill certin high ranking members of terrorist organizations... If you get my drift.