• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Experiences with a Surefire 762RC2 on a bolt gun

cdeiglmeier

The Tooth Fairy
Supporter
Minuteman
May 2, 2017
Issaquah, Washington
I've searched the forum looking for any consolidated info on this can on a bolt gun but can't seem to find any. But, I'm looking for peoples experiences who have or have used a Surefire 762RC2 on a bolt gun for precision work. I have one just sitting in the safe not being used and don't have the funds for another rifle or suppressor right now so thinking of throwing it on my ELR 7mm rem mag rifle just to play around. I want to know the good and the bad if you've ran this suppressor before! Let me know!

Well, not an RC model, but my 300 SPS was awesome on my 700 .308, until it inexplicably bulged at the end of the tube.

Had good accuracy, only a hair over 1" POI shift that was consistent and repeatable.

I would venture that an RC2 would give the same service, though a tad louder perhaps.

Reactions: cdeiglmeier
Before ‘retiring’ mine, it was used heavily on quite a few of my precision rifles. Excellent accuracy with repeatable POI. Ensure when you mount it that ALL the play is removed when giving it rotation with your hand. That way it’s going to the same lock every time. These suppressors work best with full power/pressure loads. Your magnum will do well with it.

I picked up a Surefire 7.62 RC2 a few years ago. Initially I bought it as a “do-it all” can to run on everything between 5.56 & 300 WM, but I’ve since sold the WM so I can’t speak to its performance in that regard. It works really well on 5.56 as well.

So far, I’ve been nothing but pleased by its exceptional performance. Since receiving the can I’ve only shot my main bolt gun w/ the can. @j-dubya says it as all far as “excellent accuracy w/ repeatable POI.”

I realize it’s not the lightest or quietest can on the market, but when I put my pro / con list together the RC2 best met my criteria.

I posted the two pics below in another thread once before so I apologize for the redundancy. I was shooting a 308 w/ FGMM out of a 24” barrel & RC2 can. There was a pair of 16” gongs at 1K. In the first pic my wind call was .9 MIL & I impacted on the right edge; I then moved to the next gong & my wind call was 1.1, but for the sake of using a whole number I called it at 1 MIL. I impacted the water line for a second time & the can did everything asked of it.

I really dig the QD feature as well. I’ve shot guns w/ DT cans & it’s a PITA to me. Once the can is on, its ON. I use a muzzle brake on the couple rifles for which I use this suppressor & the one piece of advice I have for you is to lube the the shit out of your muzzle device & to scrub it once in a while. That should alleviate any & all headaches while using this can.

ETA: I apologize for the poor lighting in the pic. We’re painting steel before heading out.

Attachments

• EA56E366-4E19-474E-9435-0E6F0175AFD0.jpeg
    EA56E366-4E19-474E-9435-0E6F0175AFD0.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 76
  • 43B4B21F-5B28-4337-ADB1-1443E7ACC039.jpeg
    43B4B21F-5B28-4337-ADB1-1443E7ACC039.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 71
I use mine on my 308 barrel and my 6Dasher barrel.

.1mil POI shift. Zero affect to group size or load development.
Repeatable on/off zero (so much so that I forget that there is even an issue with this when people are talking about other cans)
Great sound. I know they dont "test" well on dB meters so maybe its the tone vs the volume, but I've had so many people ask me what can it is and comment about how quiet it is, even shooting WAY under bore with my 6mm.
QD system is excellent and I can throw it on any rifle I want and not worry about the suppressor regardless of use.

Its "heavy" but I cant say that it matters to me...its on a 19lb rifle anyway.

Reactions: WATERWALKER
I use mine on my 308 barrel and my 6Dasher barrel.

.1mil POI shift. Zero affect to group size or load development.
Repeatable on/off zero (so much so that I forget that there is even an issue with this when people are talking about other cans)
Great sound. I know they dont "test" well on dB meters so maybe its the tone vs the volume, but I've had so many people ask me what can it is and comment about how quiet it is, even shooting WAY under bore with my 6mm.
QD system is excellent and I can throw it on any rifle I want and not worry about the suppressor regardless of use.

Its "heavy" but I cant say that it matters to me...its on a 19lb rifle anyway.

Everyone's responses is the information I was looking for! Thank you! I too am not worried about weight because my ELR rig is 19lbs without weights in the chassis. I hope it will perform well on my 7mm as I've heard (and what others on here have said) is the RC2 performs best with high pressure rounds. So hopefully a 180 grain berger at 3050 fps is enough for it lol

when mounting the brake, do I need to worry about shims to time the brake properly? Right now I have an APA Fat bastard 2 on the rifle and will be switching it out to the SF brake so I can mount my RC2.

Surefire brakes and hiders come with a packet of colored coded shims and a timing chart that tells you which color combinations are needed to time it where you need it.

Y'all use the rockset on a precision build with the SF mounts? Or just shims, time it, torque it, done?

I use the rockset because I am paranoid about twisting the brake off with the can if the lock ring gets hard to turn. If I remember right the torque spec for the brake is 20-30 ft/lb.

But, I know a few guys who don't and they don't seem to have a problem. I know SF wants you to use it warranty wise.

Well, not an RC model, but my 300 SPS was awesome on my 700 .308, until it inexplicably bulged at the end of the tube.

Had good accuracy, only a hair over 1" POI shift that was consistent and repeatable.

I would venture that an RC2 would give the same service, though a tad louder perhaps.

I’m a little late to this conversation, but I have a 762RC2 that I’ve been using for three years with almost identical results, including the sudden bulge at the end of the tube, along with a blown end cap weld. I had never heard of this problem before it happened to me. Reading this identical account makes me wonder how common it is.

So is the can scrapped/inop with the bulges at the end (especially being close to the SN) or is that something SF Company can fix?

Surefire sent me an RMA# and a shipping label. I’ve sent it back to them and am waiting to hear the results of their examination. When I initially contacted them about the problem, I was told that it sounded like a defect in the tube or the weld, from my description, and if that were the case, they would have to replace the suppressor. The downside is that means I have to wait for another ATF approval. The Surefire rep. wasn’t sure if they would expedite the approval, due to this being a replacement.

Yes it will. I don’t look for it to be expedited, even though it’s a replacement, but they should. I just ordered another suppressor, so that once I get both in hand, I’ll have a backup for situations like this. If I just used it for recreational shooting, it wouldn’t be AS big a deal, but I use it on my work rifle. ? Ah well, Vive La ATF! ? Two is one, one is none.

Pain in the ass man, sorry ya have to deal with that. Honestly I’m shocked though, never heard of a SF doing that. I’m waiting to pick up my tax stamp that got approved 3/24 on a 300 sps.

I had never heard of it either until post #2 in this thread. That can was an SPS300, which is what I ordered as a backup. I just talked to Surefire this afternoon. They said they are not sure yet what caused this, but they suspect it could be a defect in the tubing material. Unless I hear of a lot more of these incidents, and as long as they stand behind their product, I’m not going to worry about it.

I hear ya, Surefire will take care of ya.... I imagine... I’d be shocked and thoroughly pissed if not. Keep me updated on the process if you don’t mind, interested to see how it pans out

Surefire is a great company and known for their customer service. Sounds like they are taking good care of you like they should! Only complaints I usually see are due to the fact that they can be slow getting back to people because they are so busy fulfilling mil/LEO contracts.

Reactions: Sniperstud
I’m a little late to this conversation, but I have a 762RC2 that I’ve been using for three years with almost identical results, including the sudden bulge at the end of the tube, along with a blown end cap weld. I had never heard of this problem before it happened to me. Reading this identical account makes me wonder how common it is.

In my case, I sent my SPS to Surefire and they indeed determined it to be damaged beyond repair and scrapped.

Surefire eventually sent me a new 300 SPS, which has been sitting in jail.

They wouldn't say/speculate what caused it, just it was covered under warranty. They crushed it and notified ATF that it was destroyed. They said they would reimburse my tax stamp fee once my replacement stamp cleared.

All in all, happy they took care of me, but it was a very lengthy process that has me exploring other brands.