• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Exposed or capped turrets on hunting rifle?

EXSOCAL

Send it...
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Idaho
What do you guys prefer, exposed target turrets or capped turrets for your hunting rifles? Trying to decide between a 4-16 viper pst and a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16 mil dot with capped turrets. The rifle is a REM 700 in .300 win mag. Hunting will include everything from hogs to deer and elk. Thanks !

Re: Exposed or capped turrets on hunting rifle?

Personally I have no use for capped knobs. I find them to be a waste of time.

I am in the habit of always checking my optic when I get into a new position. Return to the same setting every time I move, then adjust once settled for the expected shot.

Just my preference.

If you are in heavy cover, I say capped. If not, don't think it would matter. What about something like the weaver tactical? It has locking exposed turrets. I guess if you hunt from a blind you might want capped aswell. I am in colorado. I have both. Some with and others not. However, it is pretty wide open by me and I do alot of walking and glassing. So, my rifle doesn't really get josstled around alot.

Exposed. I like scopes with the zero stop function so if I do need a quick adjustment I can do it, but then return to zero after shot or if i choose not to take it.

Ya, I have exposed turrets on all of my rifles except this one and I'm leaning that direction for this rifle too.

I run around with exposed turrets.......... Its fun exposing in public
laugh.gif
hehehe

What range are you talking (typically)? Do you dial while hunting or no? Answer that and you'll have your answer.

Done plenty of LR shooting but just really started to get into big game hunting this last year. As far as ranges??? Shot little critters out plenty far but not any big game...yet.
smile.gif
I'm used to dialing on my precision rifle, so I may as well set my hunting rig up the same way. Thanks for the input!

I run exposed turrets on all my optics. I think caps are a waste of material.

Exposed. Not having to deal with the covers is one less thing to have to deal with.

Exposed. Not having to deal with the covers is one less thing to have to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SOCAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Done plenty of LR shooting but just really started to get into big game hunting this last year. As far as ranges??? Shot little critters out plenty far but not any big game...yet.
smile.gif
I'm used to dialing on my precision rifle, so I may as well set my hunting rig up the same way. Thanks for the input!</div></div>

Is the hunting mostly in cover at short ranges or, longer range? Truthfully, I have never dialed my scopes on my hunting rigs. I like the skill route though, so I just get closer. I think the "far" shot is just a copout for the guys with the lack of skill it takes to get closer. I also handgun hunt. Take bowhunters for example (I don't bow hunt), those guys get into something like 15 yards or so. That is skill. One which I can't do. I live in wide open country, yet I can always manage to get within 200 yards and alot of time within 100 yards or slightly less. Something to think about.

Edit: It is hard to get out all the fancy gadgets and dial in a critter that can and will move on the better places at a moments notice. You can always hold over. It works, I have seen it done...lol.

I run a mildot reticle, if I find myself needing to twist turrets, the animal is far enough away I'll have the few seconds to take my caps off.
However, when I have to make a snap shot, I can't be worried about an exposed turret having moved.

It's all about your style of hunting, I absolutely did not want exposed turrets, doesn't make it right, doesn't make it wrong.

Prefer exposed, especially on a scope with SFP reticle.

When using a FFP reticle, I will use the reticle or combination of reticle and turrets, whether they are capped or exposed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a mildot reticle, if I find myself needing to twist turrets, the animal is far enough away I'll have the few seconds to take my caps off.
However, when I have to make a snap shot, I can't be worried about an exposed turret having moved.

It's all about your style of hunting, I absolutely did not want exposed turrets, doesn't make it right, doesn't make it wrong.</div></div>

With resettable turrets I don't know of anything that can happen even in the roughest part of the world where your turret will move one complete revolution. Its really simple take a look at the turrets and see if its off the 0 mark.

Thanks for the input!

I prefer uncapped as long as they won't move. There's no correct answer that applies to all scopes as they're all different.

The 4-16 PST I used last year--which was one of the first, before the turret redesign--allowed them to spin too easily so I had to tape them up. The current PST's are much stiffer and should be OK for most people. Though the sharp edges makes them a bit grabby still, so you'd want to check.

The Weaver with the locking function work really well for this.

The March 3-24 I'll be using next year are plenty stiff (and low/unobtrusive) so I'm not worried about them moving.

All of the SS's I've used have been stiff enough it's not a worry. They're not only stiff but the knobs are pretty smooth so they don't catch on things.

The older IOR 3-18X42's I used were stiff enough not to move...but my current 3.5-18X50 elevation knob is a fair amount easier to turn for some reason so I'd be worried it might accidentally turn while hunting.

The Premier and S&B I used were both stiff enough it wasn't a worry, etc....

You really need to try a scope and get a feel for how easy it is to move the turrets inadvertently. If that involves in and out of a scabbard, being carried/shouldered by/on the elevation turret, etc, you need to try it beforehand and see if they'll move.

On longer shooting w a magnum I use exposed because I use the dials but on a short range rifle I don't find a need, so they are capped.

I dont cap my target knobs, that thin piece of metal wont protect the knobs from a good hit and in all the years of bouncing them around in various vehicles they dont move.

If a bump or rub can turn the knob either pay more attention to what you are doing or buy a scope with more tactile knobs.

I have an old 3.5x10 loopy on my LTR, it has target knobs that cant remember what covers feel like. There are a few scratches and a nice flattened spot on the top of knob but it works just fine.

Perhaps it shows a scope with reliable internals can pay you back in a 'crunch'. Not an ironclad warranty against damage but if your scope sacrificed rugged internals to spend the money on super clear glass,the royalty on a super snazzy reticle, or just plain went cheap all the way round you might have trouble with your knobs down the road.

So all my scopes have exposed knobs, even those that came with covers.

I prefer capped. If I have to make an adjustment, the critter is not close and I have a lot of time. The added protection from the elements, dust, sand, crap that will find it's way in the turret will be minimized by being capped.