• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Extra L/A McMillan A-5 stock/ What caliber?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I have an extra McMillan A-5 stock in Desert Camo that is Long Action inletted to fit the largest factory Rem700 bbl (im thinking the PSS or Varmint bbl) I cant decide what to build on it. Does anyone know were I could get a list of the Long Action Calibers in case there might be any I forgot about? I know some of you guys got some good ideas for it.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Let me hear your ideas!</span>

Re: Extra L/A McMillan A-5 stock/ What caliber?

The list of long action calibers is extensive!!

Here are a few:

30-06, 25-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 300 RUM, 338 Win Mag, 375H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 Win Mag, etc., etc., etc.

The caliber you select really comes down to what you want to do with the rifle (target/steel, hunting...if so, what do you want to hunt, etc.). Also, unless you plan on swapping, what bolt face do you currently have for the 700 action? That will narrow the list of calibers down quickly.

All things being equal, I love my 300WM rifles for long range performance out to 1,000 or better, accuracy, lethality on a large variety of game, cost of both reloading and commercially available ammo, passes the Two Dot Test, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The list of long action calibers is extensive!!

Here are a few:

30-06, 25-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 300 RUM, 338 Win Mag, 375H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 Win Mag, etc., etc., etc.

The caliber you select really comes down to what you want to do with the rifle (target/steel, hunting...if so, what do you want to hunt, etc.). Also, unless you plan on swapping, what bolt face do you currently have for the 700 action? That will narrow the list of calibers down quickly.

All things being equal, I love my 300WM rifles for long range performance out to 1,000 or better, accuracy, lethality on a large variety of game, cost of both reloading and commercially available ammo, passes the Two Dot Test, etc. </div></div>

6.5 creedmoor isn't short action... .264 win mag is though

Yep, pretty much depends on what you have now, and what you want the new stick to do. I second the 6.5x55 Sweed plan and in fact have a left-hand version in the works right now to go into a Manners stock that I have waiting... got the chamber reamer on order at PTG as we speak, got a Rock Creek 6.5mm barrel from the last group buy here, new Williams bottom metal, and a timney trigger all sitting on the shelf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
6.5 creedmoor isn't short action... .264 win mag is though </div></div>

You are absolutely right...the 6.5CM is a short action cal. That was a brain fart on my part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x55 would also be a smoking long action caliber on a standard bolt face </div></div>

Yessir, it would be.

In the last few months, I have gotten a couple of really nice 30-06's. Old school and still cool- lots of versatility and great bullet/powder selection.

280AI....you have to hand load but it is worth it...you can down load to 7-08 levels and touch right near 7mmRM levels.....with minimum amounts of powders...I might be going 280AI if I get a L/A and if I get a S/A I will go 7-08....whichever I get the best deal will determin the chamber size.....284 caliber for sure though....better BC than the infamous 308Win and not in the least a barrel burner if you are smart with the loads.

PM me if you want some links I have gathered deciding on 7mm bore.

I'm thinking about .280AI or straight .280 Rem myself, but the old .30-06 is a sentimental favorite.

The.280AI will get you right at the 7mm Rem Mag performance with less powder and less kick. That's +2 in my book and the .284 bullets are real wind cheaters for LR target work.

I recently did some load development for the .280, using 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Ramshot Hunter powder. I very much like the .280's ballistics.

Additional testing with Hornady 139gr SST factory Hunting ammo delivered such outstanding accuracy results that load testing was terminated on the spot. The ballistics of the 139SST at a 3000fps MV are just too good to ignore. I would use it as a match load in the R77V I tested, and as a hunting load in the R77 I also tested.

But after considerable thought; I decided the chambering, while outstanding for hunting, is not so well suited for match work.

There's just too much heat in the engine room.

Like the .22-250, accuracy and punch are way up there, but sustained fire just can't be tolerated for the duration of the match. The barrel gets roasted.

I won't do that to a quality firearm.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x284 </div></div>
That's where I'd go with a long action.

I'd just got for something in 7mm. .284 Winchester maybe.

I see little benefit in necking down a perfectly good 7mm cartridge to 6.5.