• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Extraction issue with AR 15

gaowensjr

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2013
I have recent build in 224 Valkyrie using a Sanders Armory side charging handle upper and a X-Caliber barrel. There is no gas in this build. Working the bolt back and forth, loading and extracting dummy rounds is fine. However, I can't extract a fired case by hand. I don't have headspace gauges as of yet. I also don't have the .330" gauge to measure fired headspace. But a fired case will slide all the way into a case gauge with about .005" of case head sticking out. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Did you use a go/no gauge to confirm chamber length was within spec?

Are we talking factory ammo or hand loads?
I’m assuming hand loads, given the mention of dummy rounds...

Also, how are you getting the fired case out of the chamber, assuming your not able to remove it by simply manually cycling the charging handle? Maybe I’m misunderstanding?

What does the fired case head look like? Any ejector swipes or flattened primers?

Without knowing more, it seems your brass is expanding at the case head by at least .002” relative it’s unfired diameter (you can confirm this by measuring the diameter of the case just above the extractor groove before and after firing)

Generally speaking, I like to keep expansion to .001 or less in a semi auto; if it’s greater I know I’m at pressure and dial the load back a bit. At .005 or so, I start seeing extraction failures where the case makes it out of the chamber but not through the port.

I have recent build in 224 Valkyrie using a Sanders Armory side charging handle upper and a X-Caliber barrel. There is no gas in this build. Working the bolt back and forth, loading and extracting dummy rounds is fine. However, I can't extract a fired case by hand. I don't have headspace gauges as of yet. I also don't have the .330" gauge to measure fired headspace. But a fired case will slide all the way into a case gauge with about .005" of case head sticking out. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Last edited:
Try a couple rounds with the necks turned down about 0.001".
I shoot a 22 Nosler, BCA side charge, X-caliber heavy barrel, 28" no gas port.
With a loaded neck diameter of 0.253", using Nosler brass I get stickage after 20 to 30 rounds and have to brush the chamber from the port.
Loaded Dogtown brass is about 0.251" and no (almost no) stickage.
Spun and sanded some of my fired Nosler to about 0.252" and it was better.