• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Extreme vertical spread at 100 yrds?

Frapiscide

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm not sure why, but when shooting at 100 yards, I have a vertical spread of at least 4 inches from point of aim after a 5 shot group. Horizontal spread tends to be about an inch max. Is this normal with CCI standards and a Savage Mark II and a so-so scope?

Re: Extreme vertical spread at 100 yrds?

in my experience... letting the gun recoil differently does that. tight hold... loose hold... I shoot CCI SV exclusively.

I've been shooting alot of .22 ammo. I ALAYS
Test my ammo. Two bulls on a paper. Same
Ammo 5shot groups on each bulls eye 1/2 dots.
On bull tight hold, other free recoil. Then 5 more
Rounds on top of those same hold as before. You
Will find as I have no matter the ammo tight hold
Wins every time.. Then you find what the gun likes
And start working on cheek weld breathing and
Trigger pull. Savage MK II bushnell tac. 3x21 mine
Goes for wolf, fed gold match, but just got some CCI
And not sure yet but looks like it might beat all?!? I
Shoot to 200 yards most always. 8" gong. Not
Really hard but I love practice in 10+ wind. Much
Harder but hits are more rewarding!

Never thought of how tight I'd hold the rifle. Do you guys mean by gripping the pistol grip, or pulling rifle in towards body/body weight pushing the rifle forward?

I can make a .75"-1" group at 50 yards if I do my part. I'm fairly new to shooting. Only been really shooting for about 8 months. Support is a bipod and rear bag sitting most of the time. (range rules require sitting at the benches) I keep the sight picture consistent throughout my firing strings. I haven't really had a friend shoot it. I go to the range alone a lot so I can just think about the rifle and the target.

work on technique, this video is OK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNoq5KMnZXE

My guess since your left to right is OK and you're stringing up and down, it is your eye/scope alignment. Look into controlling parallax. Parallax is more of an issue with lower-quality scopes, but can be controlled even with a low quality scope.

The idea of the video is to have you rifle and your eye in the same place for each shot 1-5. This is not instinctual, you'll find your position with practice.

Frankly the best thing you can do is buy a dvd: The art of the precision rifle. Buy it, don't cry it's only $45. I've been shooting for 20+ years, sometimes seriously. I learned something every 2 minutes watching this video. I'll watch it again soon, actually.

ther is vertical stringing (basically the ammo has a little less or more oumph from round to round) that causes some different POI, but 4" is a bit much for that @ 100. i have asavage and shoot CCI SV too, never had that happen that much.

my guess too is grip, cheek weld / eye alignment.

Use a supressor, don´t hold the pistolgrip too firmly, when squeezing, chrony your ammo and calculate POI@100yrds, std dev and the works. I have MOA accuracy with Eley Teenex selected batches. SAKO P72 biathlon version with a 1/2UNF threaded 40cm long bull barrel. I shoot with an oversized A-TEC modular silencer. Reduces recoil a lot.

I suggest you start out shooting prone with a single front rest (bipod!?!) and plenty magnification...
Learn to shoot between heartbeat by correct breathing and watching the reticule move vertically. Squeeze and follow through. One hole 25yards and excel from there.

Shoot a lot

Along with a technique issues discussed, many 22lr ammunition can vary in muzzle velocity by over 50fps. That will translate into a vertical spread, no matter what your technique. Try better match ammunition.