• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes eye dominance

The Mall Ninja

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
North Pole, AK
so after a few years (relative term) of shooting i found out today that i'm left eye dominant. i was kinda of shocked... seriously, the first time i got behind a boomstick i figured that i was right eye'd because i'm right handed, and not to mention, getting behind one on my left side didn't feel right. but the past couple of months i have been trying to get some good groups with no avail. maybe this could help out some. are there any advantages to being right handed and left eye dominant?

Re: eye dominance

I am left eye dominant and never give it a thought. I close my left eye. My vision is still good enough I don't think it matters. I also shoot my pistols with my right eye. My only issue is shooting a shotgun. I have a hard time closing the left eye, wanting the field of view. But if I don't I miss the lead.

if you can i recommend shooting from your dominant side. i instruct youth and adult shooters and deal with this on a continual basis. we make sure to catch it early in their development and get them to shoot dominant eye side if they can. it will help you to be a both eyes open shooter which relieves strain on the muscles and eyes due to forcing an eye closed. lay behind glass for any length of time and you will see. it is much easier to maintain your field of view longer with out tiring.

I have the same issue. So does my brother. The best thing is that if you want to shoot right handed just shoot more, keep shooting more. It will become ingrained after a while. One trick that we both did when we first started shooting was too put tape over the left eye of your shooting glasses and shoot with both open. It will train you to focus with you non-dominant eye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you can i recommend shooting from your dominant side. i instruct youth and adult shooters and deal with this on a continual basis. we make sure to catch it early in their development and get them to shoot dominant eye side if they can.</div></div>

Does it depend on the degree of dominance? After doing every test imaginable, I am coming up with ambiguous results. I am showing left eye dominant in about 60% of the time and right eye dominant 40% of the time. Since I learned to shoot right-handed when I was young, it doesn't seem like it is really worth it to switch... plus there is a lot less availability of left-handed equipment.

I wonder if a lot of this is just training. When I was training to be a boxer, I found myself comfortable as both a righty and a lefty, and as a result, decided to train both ways. My right arm is stronger and I am right handed, but from a comfort perspective, I am comfortable with both.

Guitar is a different story. I learned right handed and I have tried to go lefty, but I just can't do it.

I can see how someone might have incredible left-eye dominance and need to switch, but there are degrees of dominance that should probably be considered, as well.

Another right hand shooter left eye dominant guy. I've always shot right handed without much problem but as I get older I'm having more problems with blurred targets . I started wearing glasses a year ago and it helped some but I'm thinking about getting custom lenses for shooting.
When shooting pistol I use my left eye while shooting right handed.
All screwed up

Usually, shooters that use their dominant eye will have an easier time becoming proficient.

This is especially true when dealing with shooting moving targets.

I am left eye dominant but learned to shoot right handed, i have just lately starting shooting practicing lefthand. It felt wrong at first but now it feels great.
I will continue to shoot right handed most of the time cause that is what feels most comfortable but being able to shoot both ways sure is nice in tight spaces or when a deer pops up close on my right and i can't turn without startling it.

I can shoot with either hand and have always been right eye dominent ever since my early teens. However, now I'm in my early 40's I still shoot with my right eye but when I'm examining documents under a magnifying glass I have to use my left eye if I want to see anything clearly. My left eye seems to be taking up the slack. PAT.

Cross eye dominant, but after some practice, I feel comfortable shooting left or right, although I still feel MORE comfortable right...