• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eye Pro with readers help

Rexman

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2020
Colorado
I am starting to get more into long range shooting and was wondering what others do for eye pro. I have been near sighted since a young age but also have needed readers in the last 10 years. I typically wear contacts when shooting and have some eye pros that are bifocals but they don’t seem to be the best solution. The challenge I have is reading my dope card, kestrel and/or turrets. I also noticed some protective eye wear on Amazon that are full lens corrected for seeing close. Was wondering if this might help if I adjust the ocular on my scope for the corrective readers and then I could read everything else easily…..or is this a bad idea.

I have an eye appointment in a couple weeks so wanted to see what others are doing. I may also pick up a pair of eye glasses just for shooting instead of wearing contacts.

Reactions: 338dude
ballisticdaddy has the perfect solution. At Menards I found some sunglasses that had cheaters built into them. They're not safety glasses, but I needed sunglasses for an outdoor hobby that does not involve firearms. When those break I'll probably buy some of these 3M cheaters via Amazon.

I went a different route because of all of my hobbies and activities. Rudy Project Rydon Kit and added their percription inserts with my Normal and bifocal RX. they are comfortable and versatile with the interchangeable lenses.

Reactions: Rexman
I use safety glasses by 3M that have readers built in and cost less than $20 a pair.

I think these are the same glasses I am using now. I just have to tilt my head back or lift the glasses to see the turret. The line in the bifocal also is noticeable for me so was seeing if there are any other options that others are using that might be better.

I fought this battle, tried all sorts of gimmicks, and finally realized that, for me, simpler is better. I had cataract surgery before I got into rifle; I can see quite well at distance, but I can't clearly see text messages on my phone without readers - I can barely read texts if I hold the phone at extreme arm's length. I also have very limited range of motion in my neck, so head-tilting to use traditional bifocal prescriptions doesn't work for me on prone and some other stage props. Hopefully this gives you the frame of reference in which I'm working.

In my experience, you do NOT want to sacrifice distance vision in order to clearly see your dope card or turrets. Do what you need to do (contacts, prescription glasses) to see clearly at distance and set your ocular accordingly. Then worry about the close stuff.

For reading a dope card? Write big. You don't have to see the numbers clearly - you just need to see them enough to know what they are.

Reading the numbers on the scope turret?
  • Some people buy little magnifiers that mount in front of the turret. I have buddies that swear by them. This approach isn't for me. I quickly discovered the cheap one I bought was nearly worthless because there was so much glare off its plastic lens that numbers were obscured, and using it was kinda like using a red dot sight on a pistol - you have to find the dot before you can put the dot on a target, and I never liked that. With the tube-mounted magnifier, unless the thing is gigantic, you have to have your head in just the right place to read the turret through the lens.
  • Other people have found little "mini-reader" lenses they stick inside their plano shooting glasses. The traditional lens arrangement where one tilts one's head back to engage the "reader" area doesn't work for me with rifle glasses - I have so much arthritis and disk degeneration in my neck that it's all I can do to bend my neck enough to shoot prone, let alone bend it more to tilt my head back to read. You can order prescription lenses with the reader section anywher you want it but...
  • ... of course, if you want to spend the $$ to see what works, any number of eye protection vendors offer prescription solutions to this issue. I like different-colored lenses - comes from years of NSSA skeet - and prescription lenses cost $$$. If you're at the stage where you need readers, it may not be long until you have to consider cataract surgery... after which all those high-dollar prescription lenses will be useless. Ask me how I know.
  • My solution: What I learned is that, on stages where I need to dial while on the clock, I can see turret numbers on my ZCO and Vortex Razor (gen-2 and gen-3) scopes well enough - not clearly by any stretch, but well enough - if I pick my head up and back off the gun. Again, I accept that I cannot see the numbers clearly - but I've become confident I can see them well enough to dial as needed (practice & muscle memory help).
It will take you awhile to figure out what works for you. If you still have anything approaching a normal range of motion in your neck, solutions offered earlier in this thread may work very well.

Good luck.

I fought this battle, tried all sorts of gimmicks, and finally realized that, for me, simpler is better. I had cataract surgery before I got into rifle; I can see quite well at distance, but I can't clearly see text messages on my phone without readers - I can barely read texts if I hold the phone at extreme arm's length. I also have very limited range of motion in my neck, so head-tilting to use traditional bifocal prescriptions doesn't work for me on prone and some other stage props. Hopefully this gives you the frame of reference in which I'm working.

In my experience, you do NOT want to sacrifice distance vision in order to clearly see your dope card or turrets. Do what you need to do (contacts, prescription glasses) to see clearly at distance and set your ocular accordingly. Then worry about the close stuff.

For reading a dope card? Write big. You don't have to see the numbers clearly - you just need to see them enough to know what they are.

Reading the numbers on the scope turret?
  • Some people buy little magnifiers that mount in front of the turret. I have buddies that swear by them. This approach isn't for me. I quickly discovered the cheap one I bought was nearly worthless because there was so much glare off its plastic lens that numbers were obscured, and using it was kinda like using a red dot sight on a pistol - you have to find the dot before you can put the dot on a target, and I never liked that. With the tube-mounted magnifier, unless the thing is gigantic, you have to have your head in just the right place to read the turret through the lens.
  • Other people have found little "mini-reader" lenses they stick inside their plano shooting glasses. The traditional lens arrangement where one tilts one's head back to engage the "reader" area doesn't work for me with rifle glasses - I have so much arthritis and disk degeneration in my neck that it's all I can do to bend my neck enough to shoot prone, let alone bend it more to tilt my head back to read. You can order prescription lenses with the reader section anywher you want it but...
  • ... of course, if you want to spend the $$ to see what works, any number of eye protection vendors offer prescription solutions to this issue. I like different-colored lenses - comes from years of NSSA skeet - and prescription lenses cost $$$. If you're at the stage where you need readers, it may not be long until you have to consider cataract surgery... after which all those high-dollar prescription lenses will be useless. Ask me how I know.
  • My solution: What I learned is that, on stages where I need to dial while on the clock, I can see turret numbers on my ZCO and Vortex Razor (gen-2 and gen-3) scopes well enough - not clearly by any stretch, but well enough - if I pick my head up and back off the gun. Again, I accept that I cannot see the numbers clearly - but I've become confident I can see them well enough to dial as needed (practice & muscle memory help).
It will take you awhile to figure out what works for you. If you still have anything approaching a normal range of motion in your neck, solutions offered earlier in this thread may work very well.

Good luck.
Thanks for the input as that is super helpful. I am still a ways from cataract surgery and am fortunate that I don’t have neck issues.

I didn’t think messing with my long vision by adjusting the ocular was a good solution and this confirmed it.

I have noticed the magnifiers that mount in front of the turret but I don’t think that would work for me…plus, I don’t want to have to put more stuff on the rifle than I need.

I also noticed some eye pros on amazon with magnifiers in both the top and bottom of the lens which might be worth trying. I will keep trying some different solutions and see what works best. Thanks again for the input!

I just have to tilt my head back or lift the glasses to see the turret.

When I was still working bigger USPSA matches I would wear bifocal safety glasses for scoring on the tablet. But since I am tall and the targets are always much shorter than me, on close calls I'd have to bend over and lift the glasses way up. I always thought I need glasses with the bifocal part at the top rather than the bottom. Same would work for scope turrets, tipping your head down instead.

As for turrets, they need to made by those Cricket people, the ones that make the cell phones with the giant numbers! What's with making them so small? lol The scope I use the most as of late could literally have the numbers 2-3 times the size since there's room for a much larger font.

Attachments

• yelling-cloud.gif
    yelling-cloud.gif
    603.1 KB · Views: 40
I tried the bugeyes turret magnifier, the MKM turret magnifier, a home grown 3d printed solution, readers only, one single contact, etc. Lots of different options.
It took a while, but I finally came to terms with the fact that I'm fucking old and my eyes just don't work like they did when I was a young'n. So bifocals it is. I don't mind it now, and my long distance is a bit more clearer so spotting targets at range with the naked eye is a bit easier. As well looking at target reference points, grass, leaves, tree branches, etc for looking at wind conditions down range has improved. My shooting still sucks, but I can see!

I have always wondered at folks who spend up to $4k on a scope for outstanding glass then look thru it w $20 plastic glasses. I just don’t really understand that.

I’ll be 70 in a handful of weeks so yes…I too need some kind of magnifiers to see close up.

I use Randolph Rangers w a stick on magnifier in the bottom. Now. If a person has bad mobility in their neck so they can’t rotate their head upward a little bit in order to see the turrets, this won’t work.

There are also a number of top shelf shooting glasses that have products that accommodate prescription lenses underneath the exterior shooting glass lenses. I believe you can have your prescription lenses made w a magnifier in the bottom (bifocals). Good qual shooting glasses tend, IMO, to generally have larger lenses in the vertical axis so they really aren’t in the way of distance vision looking thru the scope. My Rangers are like that

Pilla comes to mind. Outstanding glass quality but very pricey.

My dear friend, @GBMaryland, runs a set of these and they work very well for him.

I highly recommend LM Lenses (they Google them and they’ll pop up). They are shooting glass specific retailer who sell shooting glasses over a range of prices and they are also very good if you have custom prescription needs.

Cheers and best of luck.

I've got prescription Oakley flak jacket bifocals, you can get them from Oakley or your local eye doc that carries Oakleys. I've got them in sunglasses and transition lenses but they don't get quite as dark.

I got behind the rifle yesterday with the yellow Pilla lenses, and they were optically perfect through the scope.

(I have to wear glasses for distance and they have a unique way of mounting the lenses which is extremely useful for me personally.)

So not only were they perfect for my shotgun needs but they also seem to work really well on my face when I’m behind a scope.

Of course, they tend to be pretty expensive compared to other options…. However unlike inexpensive glasses they are optically perfect and have a crazy number of lens options. (Target enhancing colors for white, black, orange, neon green, Desert conditions, forest conditions, open sky conditions, overcast conditions, looking a strippers, etc.)

lastly, the lens system is a double lens system which allows the outer shell to have whatever color it needs to be and the eyeglass prescription to be on the inside lenses. What this does is it keeps crap off of your prescription lenses, including rain, and allows you to be able to see better than if you only had a prescription lens by itself.
image.jpg

FYI: the number on the cloth covers are the % light transmission of the lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
I use transition RX lenses, but this was easily solved with SSP glasses. I bought an SSP top focal kit, and a second set and wear the top in my left eye to see the reticle and dope card perfect, and the reticle is normal through the center, and the right lower has a bifocal to see the bolt, etc...below the scope up close.

I originally had this setup in 1.50 per the instructions, but the front handgun method they recommend doesn't work. I had to go with the 3.00 for the setup to work perfectly.

I use transition RX lenses, but this was easily solved with SSP glasses. I bought an SSP top focal kit, and a second set and wear the top in my left eye to see the reticle and dope card perfect, and the reticle is normal through the center, and the right lower has a bifocal to see the bolt, etc...below the scope up close.

I originally had this setup in 1.50 per the instructions, but the front handgun method they recommend doesn't work. I had to go with the 3.00 for the setup to work perfectly.
This is a great idea! Just to confirm I am right eye dominate so shoot with my right eye. I would buy a SSP kit that has both top and bottom focal lenses and are interchangeable. I then put the top focal lens in the left eyeglass frame and bottom focal lens in the right eyeglass frame.

Also, thanks everyone for the input. Lots of good ideas in this thread for us old farts.

With the PILLA, you can get another prescription eyeglass sub frame and simply do exactly what you just mentioned. Then you can have a set of true distance glasses as well as a set of one eye close and one eye distance….

It’s actually a good idea

Last edited:
…. However unlike inexpensive glasses they are optically perfect and have a crazy number of lens options. (Target enhancing colors for white, black, orange, neon green, Desert conditions, forest conditions, open sky conditions, overcast conditions, looking a strippers, etc.)
So in my skeet shooting days I really liked dark burnt-orange lenses for full-sun days - these really suppressed the green-tree background at most clubs and brightened the orange domes on targets against blue sky.

In one of my first-ever rifle matches, I was using clear lenses on those old Decot Hy-Wydes as we started very early. As the sun climbed higher and got brighter, I was looking at targets through someone's spotting scope; they were placed against a grassy moderate slope several hundred yards out. This wasn't green grass; more of a dun color. And the targets had been hit enough that they were more gray than white. So, not a lot of contrast.

Moving away from the spotting scope, I decided to put on those long-favored burnt-orange lenses. Ahh. Eyes more relaxed in the brightening sun.

Then it was my turn to shoot. BEEP. I don't remember what the prop was, but I remember getting on it and going after the first target. I couldn't find it! Back off on magnification even more. Can't find it. Come out of the rifle. Still can't find ANY of the targets on that hillside!

I zeroed the stage because the targets had disappeared... O wait. I lifted my glasses... and there they were. All of them. Lower the glasses... and they disappeared again.

Lesson learned - don't EVER start a stage where you haven't looked at targets through those colored lenses. I knew better... just wasn't thinking. I have a Rudy Project Rydon set now; truth be known, I stay with the plain clear lens set most of the time unless conditions are exceptionally bright.

This is a great idea! Just to confirm I am right eye dominate so shoot with my right eye. I would buy a SSP kit that has both top and bottom focal lenses and are interchangeable. I then put the top focal lens in the left eyeglass frame and bottom focal lens in the right eyeglass frame.

Also, thanks everyone for the input. Lots of good ideas in this thread for us old farts.
I looked at a few options, but this was very simple and works better than expected. I don't need to lift my head to see with lower bifocals, and no need to break the cheek weld.

Attachments

• IMG_4702.JPG
    IMG_4702.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4704.JPG
    IMG_4704.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 43
So in my skeet shooting days I really liked dark burnt-orange lenses for full-sun days - these really suppressed the green-tree background at most clubs and brightened the orange domes on targets against blue sky.

In one of my first-ever rifle matches, I was using clear lenses on those old Decot Hy-Wydes as we started very early. As the sun climbed higher and got brighter, I was looking at targets through someone's spotting scope; they were placed against a grassy moderate slope several hundred yards out. This wasn't green grass; more of a dun color. And the targets had been hit enough that they were more gray than white. So, not a lot of contrast.

Moving away from the spotting scope, I decided to put on those long-favored burnt-orange lenses. Ahh. Eyes more relaxed in the brightening sun.

Then it was my turn to shoot. BEEP. I don't remember what the prop was, but I remember getting on it and going after the first target. I couldn't find it! Back off on magnification even more. Can't find it. Come out of the rifle. Still can't find ANY of the targets on that hillside!

I zeroed the stage because the targets had disappeared... O wait. I lifted my glasses... and there they were. All of them. Lower the glasses... and they disappeared again.

Lesson learned - don't EVER start a stage where you haven't looked at targets through those colored lenses. I knew better... just wasn't thinking. I have a Rudy Project Rydon set now; truth be known, I stay with the plain clear lens set most of the time unless conditions are exceptionally bright.
I only use light lemon lens for scoped rifle shooting. Very light yellow will enhance contrast and works for me. These are under the lights and dark rainy day lenses I would use for clay targets also.

Pilla makes several lenses specifically for rifle shooting white, green, or gray/black steel plates.

The “Anti-reflective” clear lenses are the AR series, and function as a safety lens/clear glare reducer.

All of the “action shooting” [e.g. rifle and pistol] lenses are on this page and they show a slider to compare with the lenses and without the lenses (for steel plates that are white,black, or a neon).

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
(For what it’s worth, and I’m not hocking somebody’s business, just letting folks know: I have a retired navy buddy and his wife who sell these for a substantial amount off list prices. PM me should you have an interest or need to explore it further.)

Reactions: atomic41
I am starting to get more into long range shooting and was wondering what others do for eye pro. I have been near sighted since a young age but also have needed readers in the last 10 years. I typically wear contacts when shooting and have some eye pros that are bifocals but they don’t seem to be the best solution. The challenge I have is reading my dope card, kestrel and/or turrets. I also noticed some protective eye wear on Amazon that are full lens corrected for seeing close. Was wondering if this might help if I adjust the ocular on my scope for the corrective readers and then I could read everything else easily…..or is this a bad idea.

I have an eye appointment in a couple weeks so wanted to see what others are doing. I may also pick up a pair of eye glasses just for shooting instead of wearing contacts.
26CC4A3A-650F-4B18-ADFA-CCA72BB3D058.jpeg

Thought I would provide an update for others that have the same challenge. I went to the eye doctor and ended up trying out mono vision with my contacts. This is where my left eye is a slightly lower prescription so I can still read stuff close and right eye (dominate eye) is normal for long vision. It takes a little getting used to but so far has worked great. Went shooting a couple times since using them and was able to use normal eye pro and read stuff close! Plus it is nice around the house being able to read stuff when needed.

I still may look into getting some of the nice eye pros others mentioned as it seems like a good investment as well. Thanks again for all the input!f

Thought I would provide an update for others that have the same challenge. I went to the eye doctor and ended up trying out mono vision with my contacts. This is where my left eye is a slightly lower prescription so I can still read stuff close and right eye (dominate eye) is normal for long vision. It takes a little getting used to but so far has worked great. Went shooting a couple times since using them and was able to use normal eye pro and read stuff close! Plus it is nice around the house being able to read stuff when needed.

I still may look into getting some of the nice eye pros others mentioned as it seems like a good investment as well. Thanks again for all the input!f
Since I have cataracts (and obv am a shooter) before any surgery my eye doc had me test if I can handle mono vision via contacts. Just like you, I found I can handle it and it’s pretty great compared to contacts just for distance vision.

Be warned that only about 20% of people can handle it, or so my doc said.

I believe I’ll go for mono vision cataract lenses this fall.

Last edited:
Try getting putting the near correction at the top of the lens (either the stick on or getting bifocals made). Lots of people who golf do it that way too.