• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eye Protection in Long range shooting? Noob Question #2

The big question, do you have prescription glasses? Take it from me if you have an astigmatism, you will want the glasses. The scope just can't correct for that, most glasses are actually very high quality glass/poly carbonate, especially the prescription ones. I have both sunglasses and regular glasses from oakley, and couldnt be happier with the clarity of the lenses. I have just set up my eye focus to focus with my glasses on. Without my corrective lenses i get a shadow of the cross hairs beside and above them, and the target is the same, its just not a really clear image without them

All that is to not discount the protective factor. even when wearing contacts I still wear oakley lenses for the impact resistance.

I thought I'd chime in with my 2¢. I just updated my glasses prescription and had them build me a pair of glasses I'd actually use and were designed for the things I do. I went with Oakley frames and Zeiss lenses; photo chromatic, ANSI rated materials, and coated. I needed to adjust my scopes quite a bit, but they made a noticeable difference from mid-grade shooting glasses. The Zeiss coating really does a nice job handling any glare or distortion when behind my scope.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks shooting without safety glasses is ok, is too immature and too irresponsible to have friends, family, and possibly even firearms.

What kind of rocket-surgeon thought process are you pretending to use? Seriously? It only takes ONE pierced primer (check the threads here) or ONE case-head separation (check the threads here) or ONE grenading firearm (again, check the threads here) to cause damage and probably blindness in one or both of your eyes.

Really. You really want to go through life with the touchy-feely process of walking? As so many have stated, and others have commented on..... always wear the Proper Personal Protective Equipment when needed. I realize that those C/C situations can occur and aren't planned, but think about it for one bazillionth of a second.

Or go back to the tinker-toy site, because you're just not grasping the big picture regarding responsibility, here.

I've said my piece.