• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Eye protection that doesn't scratch

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
Does anyone have recommendations on eye protection that doesn't scratch easy? I've been using radians and oakleys and after just a few range trips, they tend to get scratched up and not used. The scratches tend to come from handling as opposed to when I'm wearing them, but still annoying.

Interested to see if there are any. I have always regarded them as consumables. Especially for lowlight/nolight, every fucking defect refracts. So buy a new pair of ESS crossbows or whatever and rock on.

If they are getting scratched up that quickly from handling, maybe consider changing the way you handle them.

Treat them like you would any optical instrument instead of treating them like a hammer.

Instead of tossing them around. Don't lay them face down on anything and that will prevent most scratches. If your hands or gloves are dirty, hold the glasses by the temples/earpieces instead of wrapping your hand around them.
Keep them in the case already clean and ready to wear when you're not using them.

Try these out
513ekzzrlrl.jpg

But seriously I buy decent safety glasses for around $8-10 a pair and toss them when they are trash. I usually get around 5 range trips before they get real scratched up. And I don't really take care of them. If I put them in a case they would last much longer

I use these Pelican cases to protect my investments. The glasses only go from face to case and back again. Toss the cases into the range bag, or keep them in separate range bag compartments which I have for ear / eye pro.
IMG_6697.jpg

If they are getting scratched up that quickly from handling, maybe consider changing the way you handle them.

Treat them like you would any optical instrument instead of treating them like a hammer.

Instead of tossing them around. Don't lay them face down on anything and that will prevent most scratches. If your hands or gloves are dirty, hold the glasses by the temples/earpieces instead of wrapping your hand around them.
Keep them in the case already clean and ready to wear when you're not using them.
I do keep them in a case and try not to touch the lenses as much as possible. Unfortunately that’s not enough.

My sunglasses get abused way more than my shooting glasses and don’t get scratched, but they are glass with coatings. I’m wondering if anyone makes something like that in shooting glasses.

I do keep them in a case and try not to touch the lenses as much as possible. Unfortunately that’s not enough.

My sunglasses get abused way more than my shooting glasses and don’t get scratched, but they are glass with coatings. I’m wondering if anyone makes something like that in shooting glasses.

They do but you'll pay through the nose for them.
Lots of companies out there that specialize in shooting glasses and lenses.

Reactions: lennyo3034
They do but you'll pay through the nose for them.
Lots of companies out there that specialize in shooting glasses and lenses.
Yep, that’s what I’m looking for. I wear safety glasses more than sunglasses so I’m willing to pay more than the stupid price I paid for sunglasses.

Despite the Steve urkel look, I’m seriously considering picking up those little bungees that hold the glasses on your head. Don’t know about the rest of you but i think the only reason my eye pro get scratched is when they fall, which apparently happens a lot. I keep them in a magpul sunglasses case in my range bag so they can’t get crushed from throwing anything heavy on top.

I've had the same pair of M frames that I was issued in 07'. I wear them shooting, I put them in the case.
I wear them shooting...

I put them in the case.....

Reactions: shoobe01
I've had the same pair of M frames that I was issued in 07'. I wear them shooting, I put them in the case.
I wear them shooting...

I put them in the case.....
Turns out its not during transport where they are getting scratched but during shooting itself. Wore my Ballistic M frames at a match this weekend with new lenses. By the second stage they were scratched up.

Must be bumping into props and such.

My smiths shop reps some shooting glasses that are supposed to be what you are asking. They also make things a lot easier to see supposedly. I've looked through them and they do help a lot, I just can't do the yellow lense thing. They havethe options. PM me, and I Willie you the details. They are expensive, but they are legit.

If you want lenses that won't scratch you will have to be particularly careful of your plastic lensed shooting glasses or get glass lensed glasses. Even the glass lenses will scratch. A pair of vintage B&L Rayban large frame shooting glasses are going to be expensive and don't have the impact resistance of plastic. I've never been to a range that won't allow their use anymore than they check the plastic stuff for ANSI specs.

Z87+ ANSI rated polycarbs' are not ballistic rated.
This is a great link that will take you to the mil. approved stuff. I often wonder how much more resistant the 87 stuff is compared to the Ray-Bans. I've had at least 15 pair of Ray-Bans. Mostly large frame shooting gasses but also a few aviators
small frame shooting glasses and some shooting glasses with a lens style that was only around for a couple of years. We better make that 20 or 25 if I include the black frame sun glasses. I had been buying them since the '60s. Alas, no more and they have become collectibles.

I still have a handful of them and I occasionally use them. The optical quality is fantastic but my scopes are all adjusted for my prescription glasses.

Reactions: camocorvette
I have awful eyes, so Rx glasses, all the time. ALL the time. Sandblasting is a good example of the extreme end, and I rarely bother to put another set of safety glasses over the top.

Only scratched my glasses by doing things like dropping them on textured concrete. Oh, and I once flipped the pad over cleaning a ballistic face shield and carefully Scotch Brite scratched it to hell. That sucked.

Anyway, I replace my glasses because my prescription changes. Never because they are damaged. I have a case of non-RX wraparound glasses I use as loaners and do not keep them in any cases: totally usable after years.

Do you live in a very sandy area? I am not sure I am following this scratched up while wearing issue at all. Photos maybe?

I can’t stand to wear glasses when I shoot my bolt gun. Every pair of plastic lenses scratches if you look at them wrong and a generally shit quality especially optically. Even the nice ones, once the scratch it sucks to look through them. I didn’t buy $2000 glass to have the image ruined by shitty plastic.