• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Eye relief on high power rifle

Tahoe333

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2012
Northern Utah
A quick question for the experts. setting up eye relief (sn3 3.8-22x44, 3.5" relief).
Do you take a normal comfortable rest on the stock check weld then set the distance of the scope "eye relief" while on max power? In your opinion is 2.75" eye relief to close for a 300wm?

You should be able to close your eyes , lay down on the stock, open your eyes and be perfect. All scopes seem to be a little different, regardless of what the box says for eye relief.

If you have a good brake, or a good hold of your 300, 2.75 should not be an issue.

Disclaimer, not an expert. Just a shooter.

If you don't have a brake on your 300, you may want to get as far away as you can and still get a good sight picture. I have been tapped before from the 2.5 inch range or so.

I always set my variable scopes half way through the power range when setting up. I then do a quick draw for an off-hand type of shot there to see if I have a complete picture. Adjust and repeat until you feel comfortable. I'll check on all power ranges and when I feel I'm close or there for comfort. If I have a mag rifle I purchase a scope with long eye relief. I got bonked and cut from a scope only once to know not to have that happen again.

First off let me say thank you for helping a beginner.
Last night I pulled the scope back now at 22x the eye relief is right at 2.50" with a solid shoulder hold on a 300wm w/o a brake.
I am hoping that adjusting the eye relief will help my groups. On 22x I always have to completely readjust my position on the 3rd shot due to the recoil knocking me off sight picture. That 3rd shot would open the grouping up to 1.25" ish with the first two rounds basically touching.

Do yourself a favor. Get a brake. There is no good reason not to get one. They are relatively cheap and help immensely.
If you can afford it, do it.,

Good luck.