• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft F/C vs LR/ELR

G

I've been watching things on here for awhile, an see a trend that seems to be asking, Fieldfcraft, why? I'll just shoot it from the next county. Then we have, what range finder will locate my target, past my max effective range.
Have we as shooters given up the close in knife fight for, I can hit it from 2K yds away, why do I need to know anything else?

I believe there are many, that are thinking their GTG, so be carefull,...what you wish for. Your dreams might lead you to, a real world reality check.
The again F/C might never be needed,......... in the Mall.

Re: F/C vs LR/ELR

I love to learn F/C. But, as I'm not an OP, I have only one real use for it, & that's hunting. However, in my AO I've learned over the years, that when I have a shot @ something, I very rarely have an opportunity to stalk closer. I have tried so many times I couldn't begin to count. Every stalk I've attempted in the last 22 yrs. has been blown by someone else. A guy on a quad, etc. I'm only able to hunt general seasons on public land, So I concentrate more on marksmanship. So when I do have a shot, I'm not saying to myself."that's too far, or the wind isn't right" I still have my limitations, but they are shrinking every year. I long for a day when I can actually spot, & stalk, without all my efforts being thwarted by others.

all snipers are marksmen, not all marksmen are snipers. but actually looking for a knife fight? i'd say that isnt too sniper-isc you know the whole being seen and compromised thing...

By knife fight, I meant working closer, within the shooters effective range, which includes the weapon he is useing.

Everyone seems, to want distance be their saving grace and it should be,.... up to a point. Most think shooting is all there is, but the C/O of the AMU once made the comment on here, to the effect, I can teach a monkey to shoot, the rest is a little harder.
Without F/C, no one gets to or from the target, alive, but then again no one needs that ability anymore, if they can reach 2K yds,... right?

Once upon a time, the working range of a 7.62X51 was 800yds, we have pushed that to 1K+, but there are lots of folks that can't pass the basic 800yd trial so even they work/ed closer, as F/C was their saving grace, not distance, back then.

As the Master of Fieldcraft, Carlos Hathcock once said, "They almost stepped on me a few times". I'd say he was within knife fighting range, while tagging.

I recently sold my .408s for this very reason. Although I'm regretting it ATM.

You can have 2 rifles, 1 capable to a mile+ (.338) and 1 (.223 or .308) for 100 to 6/700 yards for about the same weight.

1st round hits at 2500 yards are very difficult, being able to see the impact to correct in many conditions is also much more difficult.

But i can see where ELR capable calibers are essential for people shooting them or comparable munitions at each other.