• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition F Class beginner....

paulL01

Didicoy Muggle
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
Blue Ridge Mtns
I would really like to start competing. But, have never done so before.
That being said, I have an FN SPR A4 300WSM. Would in your alls opinion be a good rifle to shoot in F class? Thx for any and all help in advance fellas!

Re: F Class beginner....

Any rifle is a good rifle to start with, as long as it's shooting a bullet with the MV and BC to get to 1000 yards (assuming you are shooting long range with the rest of us masochists) and a scope with enough travel to let you get on the target.

Anything in a 300WSM should work, bullet choice would be important. I'd suspect you's want Something in the 175 to 230 range.

Thx man, thats good to hear. But, yeah Im going with Hornady
208 AMax. Only real problem I have now is finding places with a 1000
yards to practice. Heck, findin a place with 200 yards is a real challenge.
But, thats neither here nor there. I just want to get out to some matches to shoot and make some new friends.

Seems like most only have a 100yds to practice/work up loads/etc.
Chrono your load, plug it in the computer and get your dial-up, you should be on paper. Show up and shoot.
Usually there will be folks to help you out if needed.
You will learn a lot in a short time.
ALSO, have your card ready, you will need more stuff :^))

I agree with shoot what you have until you decide if you like the sport, then if you decide to get something else, for the money the Savage 12 FTR is hard to beat. Adjustable trigger and very accurate right out of the box.
Also, 300WSM will put you in the Open category.

An earlier post said it right. Shoot what you have at first. You just got to jump in the water. A 300 SWM will get tiring shooting from the prone position. You will take a lot of punishment. You might consider a 6.5-284 as a serious caliber. The 6mm Dasher is great to shoot and it is very accurate. If you load pretty hot the 6 BR does a good job to 1000. Most importantly just go shoot. You will form your own opinions.

Nice rifle Paul01, I spent 4 years in the blue ridge mountains and loved them. I'm looking into f class too and looking for my 1st long range rig. I've done some research and that 300 will get you there but folks seem to be gravitating towards the lower 6mm cal variants cuz they get there too without beating you up after 30 rounds. I think the 6.5x47 falls in there somewhere too as a nice long range load. Also, I think they split the class by weight. One division is for below 17 or 18lb rigs and above that is an open class. There may be more division but haven't learned them yet... Good luck bro!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, I think they split the class by weight. One division is for below 17 or 18lb rigs and above that is an open class. There may be more division but haven't learned them yet... Good luck bro! </div></div>

No... the split is by caliber and rest and weight. .223/.308, bipod, 8.25kg -> F/TR. Pretty much anything else, doesn't matter if it's a 6mm BR or a .300 WSM, 10kg, front rest (or bipod), max 76mm wide fore-end -> F/Open

A 'tactical' 6-6.5x47L that weighs 15 lbs all up with scope, bipod, etc. still falls under the F/Open class due to the caliber.

A scoped rifle that falls within F-Class T/R or Open specs, sufficient match ammo for same, a bipod (F-T/R) or front rest (Open), a rear bag of some sort, a shooting mat, ear/eye protection, and an empty chamber indicator (ECI) should be the absolute minimum you need to show up and shoot. Some places also require a hat with a brim to protect your eyes and face in the pits from shot marker spindle fragments caused by bullet impacts.

Helpful items (but not absolutely necessary in order to compete) might include:

1) the muzzle velocity of the rifle/ammo combo and a reliable drop chart generated using the MV along with atmospheric data for the site of the match (<span style="font-style: italic">NOTE: some might consider the MV/drop chart essential, particularly for >600 yd matches; however, you may get unlimited sighters in the first match, so if you know something about ballistics you can probably get on paper without it</span>)

2) a spotting scope and stand

3) a small chair and clipboard/pen for recording scores

4) a timer

5) a wind meter

6) a good data book/pen to record everything

7) gloves and a ~6 ft pc of rope if the target stands are extremely hard to move up/down

8) tools (whatever you think might be necessary in the event of a mechanical meltdown of some sort)

9) a shooting cart of some sort to carry everything if you can't park near the firing line.

Other items such as food, fluids, sunscreen, bug spray, etc., can also make your day much more enjoyable as the conditions warrant. This is by no means a complete list or placed in any specific order of importance, but rather some general items I've found helpful at matches. Definitely get out and give it a try, it's a great time and you'll probably end up wondering why you didn't try it a lot sooner. Best of lick!

gstaylorg, where's the best place to get a shooting mat?

Sorry, not trying to highjack OP but just add to it & thanks!

Yup, that thread's got several different suggestions for mats. Lot of different way to go there, from inexpensive to pricey, depending on what you want. As mentioned, the Creedmoor mats are very well made and nicely padded. However, I just noticed they are no longer available with the white rubber inserts (black only). I like the lighter colored inserts on hot sunny days so you don't fry the elbows when you first lay down. Anyhow, I don't view the shooting mat choice as super critical, as long as you have something under you.

I purchased a savage model 12 in a bench shooting platform. For the sole purpose of starting to shoot f-class open, what type of optics would u recommend for those longer range shots??? I have never shot any real competition before. I'm clueless. To say the least. I've heard some good things about luipold (not sure about the spelling of that). Also keep in mind im on a budget. What kind of magnification is recommended, is it better to have 1/8 turrets instead of 1/4. Out side of occasionally shooting coyotes at 500yards with my 243 with a Simmons 3x9x40 mm scope. I never ventured to shoot near this level.

There really is no cheap way into a scope for long range shooting. A Sightron in 8-32 or 10-50 is going to be the best option for the $$. If you are really shooting to 1000 yards all the magnification you can afford in a scope with repeatable adjustments.

You sometimes see Nightforce BR scopes in the Optics for sale forum for very reasonable prices.

trigger time,trigger time, trigger time
and load development. get a good group at 100 yds if that is all you have( one little tiny hole, dime size or smaller),remember the smaller the hole at 100 the smaller the hole at 600 or 1k.
then shoot alot to keep that group small. get real comfortable with your weapon and form, trigger pull, and follow through.
if you have a pencil barreled rifle, you may want to get you a timer and set it for 22 mins and shoot 22 rounds( 1 f class match average) and see what the group does, if it opens up pretty good, back up and punt.
if the group doesnt open up and stays tight wait an hour or so and do it again, then wait an hour and do it again..( the average day is 3x20 plus sighters)

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO JUMP IN WITH BOTH FEET..there is a wealth of knowledge on the line and in the pits, ask questions and you will get answers. everyone wants to help out a new shooter, then take the information you learn and find your groove and keep shooting, you will learn something new every match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merrjm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DO NOT BE AFRAID TO JUMP IN WITH BOTH FEET..there is a wealth of knowledge on the line and in the pits, ask questions and you will get answers. everyone wants to help out a new shooter, then take the information you learn and find your groove and keep shooting, you will learn something new every match. </div></div>

This is solid advice right here. I'm a F-Class Newbie too...with one match under my belt, and I didn't even shoot my own gun. I was gonna go and watch when a guy offered to let me use his AR and he even made the 88 rounds for the match, all just to get a new shooter started.

that first match was a huge eye opener...as well as the gatway to a new addiction. Get your gear set and go to a match...when others know you're a newbie, they will help you out

Good advice here. Just show up,...look, listen,and learn.

Talk to the guys while in the pits and listen! You can learn a lot by just being a fly on the wall, but ask questions and you will normally get an ear full.

The .300 WSM will get you there. The caliber will put you in F-Open, but you can use your bipod and not a tripod rest for the front rest. If the rifle is capable of stabilizing heavies (barrel twist rate 1/11" or better 1/10") then all you really need is:

1. Insect repellent; ONCE A FIRE ANT BITES YOU, THE REST OF THE LITTLE BASTARDS WILL FIND YOU.
2. Food and water
3. A reliable 100 yard zero which you're written down the scope settings for
4. A scope which tracks reliably (one MOA is really one MOA over the range, otherwise your elevation adjustments will make it hard to get on paper). This scope should be at least 10X or more so that you can see the scoring and spotting disks at 1000 yards.
5. Ammunition that is reliable and consistent
6. Rifle, bipod, mat, Empty Chamber Indicator
7. Willingness to raise your hand and say "I'm new, I've never shot this distance before, can someone help me get on paper please?" Given some semblance of the right conditions, an experienced shooter can act as spotter and can see your bullet trace to get you there. Be ready to answer questions about your expected "come up" for the distance, whether or not you have a good zero, etc.
8. Some kind of reasonable estimate of your load's velocity, and calculated ballistics data from a site such as the excellent jbmballistics.com (using your bullet, velocity, BC from the bullet's manufacturer, sight height, etc).

The .300 WSM shouldn't really beat you up bad during a typical 22 round string (2 sighters and 20 for record). And if you have to shoot away some of your record shots the first time to get on paper, who the hell cares? The rest of us won't, trust me, because we all started out somewhere, too. You'll be getting valuable information about your rifle. WRITE IT DOWN.

On another note, here's a description of the rifle from a web site: "The key difference between versions is in the type of the stock andin the accessories, provided in the standard package. All rifles use polymerstocks made by McMillan. Accuracy for all SPR rifles is claimed to be sub-MOAwith proper choice of ammunition. The 7.62NATO/.308 versions have effectiverange of about 700-800 meters, while .300WSM versions stretch the margin up to(and maybe beyond) 1000 meters."

Another statement about the infamous .308 Win and how the bullets drop from the sky at the magic 800 yard barrier...

Shoot what you have and learn. Get hooked, then blow all of your money on lots of cool stuff. Your wife will love you for it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWRichmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .300 WSM will get you there. The caliber will put you in F-Open, but you can use your bipod and not a tripod rest for the front rest. If the rifle is capable of stabilizing heavies (barrel twist rate 1/11" or better 1/10") then all you really need is:

1. Insect repellent; ONCE A FIRE ANT BITES YOU, THE REST OF THE LITTLE BASTARDS WILL FIND YOU.
2. Food and water
3. A reliable 100 yard zero which you're written down the scope settings for
4. A scope which tracks reliably (one MOA is really one MOA over the range, otherwise your elevation adjustments will make it hard to get on paper). This scope should be at least 10X or more so that you can see the scoring and spotting disks at 1000 yards.
5. Ammunition that is reliable and consistent
6. Rifle, bipod, mat, Empty Chamber Indicator
7. Willingness to raise your hand and say "I'm new, I've never shot this distance before, can someone help me get on paper please?" Given some semblance of the right conditions, an experienced shooter can act as spotter and can see your bullet trace to get you there. Be ready to answer questions about your expected "come up" for the distance, whether or not you have a good zero, etc.
8. Some kind of reasonable estimate of your load's velocity, and calculated ballistics data from a site such as the excellent jbmballistics.com (using your bullet, velocity, BC from the bullet's manufacturer, sight height, etc).

The .300 WSM shouldn't really beat you up bad during a typical 22 round string (2 sighters and 20 for record). And if you have to shoot away some of your record shots the first time to get on paper, who the hell cares? The rest of us won't, trust me, because we all started out somewhere, too. You'll be getting valuable information about your rifle. WRITE IT DOWN.

On another note, here's a description of the rifle from a web site: "The key difference between versions is in the type of the stock andin the accessories, provided in the standard package. All rifles use polymerstocks made by McMillan. Accuracy for all SPR rifles is claimed to be sub-MOAwith proper choice of ammunition. The 7.62NATO/.308 versions have effectiverange of about 700-800 meters, while .300WSM versions stretch the margin up to(and maybe beyond) 1000 meters."

Another statement about the infamous .308 Win and how the bullets drop from the sky at the magic 800 yard barrier...

Shoot what you have and learn. Get hooked, then blow all of your money on lots of cool stuff. Your wife will love you for it! </div></div>

+1 and just remember you're still alive from your last beat down from the wifie, so buy once and cry once!

300 WSM is a fantastic round and very accurate. A forum member on 6mmbr.com just won the Berger Southwest Long Range Nationals using one. I would recommend a lot of other cartridges before the 300 WSM but since you already have one might as well shoot it until it is burnt off. Shouldn't take too long in match conditions. Since you will be in F-open, figure out how to add weight to that rifle. Get as close to the weight limits as possible to try and combat some of the recoil fatigue. In the future consider a 6mm, 7mm, or 6.5mm. They may treat you better in terms of cost/recoil/efficiency. FWIW I use a Sightron SIII for 600 yard F-open and I am usually only on 12 power or so.

What you have is great to start out. It would put you in F-open with a weight limit of 22lbs. A 300 wsm is a great caliber but on the flipside, the shoulder punishment is not great.... Find the heaviest bullet you can shoot out of it and lettem fly !
F-class is an addiction.