• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition F Class Classification question

CaptainH

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2009
Ohio
When competing in F Class matches registered with the NRA, I think that it is 120 shots at a certain level to make a classification. If you have 20 shot relays and 60 shot matches, does the NRA look at the entire 60 shot aggregate or at the 20 shot individual matches that make up the aggregate for the day? Also, let's say that you shoot 100 shots at the master level then shoot a bad 20 shot string, then 40 shots at the master level. Does the bad string require that you begin all over again and shoot 120 shots in 6 20 shot matches consecutively to make master, or whatever class you might be moving into?
Thanks

Re: F Class Classification question

120 shots to classify - doesn't matter when/where/how.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">240</span>(whoops, thats conventional HP) Another 120 to reclassify - again, doesn't matter. When the average of your last <span style="text-decoration: line-through">240</span>120 shots fired in sanctioned competition breaks the thresh hold of the next higher classification, you should get a new card. Sometimes that doesn't happen quite on schedule, but thats the way its supposed to work.

It doesn't start over because of one bad score... think of it as more of a rolling average of your last X number of shots.

Someone pointed out in another post that the F class classifications are not the same as high power, not only are our targets smaller, but the classifications have higher thresholds.

Individual F-Class
High Master . . . . . 98.00 and above
Master . . . . . . . 96.50 to 97.99
Expert . . . . . . . 94.00 to 96.49
Sharpshooter . . . . 91.50 to 93.99
Marksman . . .. . . . Below 91.50
See section 19.15 on page 74

Thanks - the rolling average is a good way to put it.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...973#Post3033973

You have a temporary classification after your first match. You do not need to fire 120 rounds in order to enter a match as something other than Master Unclassified, nor do you have to wait on the match directors to turn in their scores, the NRA to process them, and the NRA to assign you a classification.

I know the rules say it takes X number of rounds to get a classification or reclassification.

It is NOT like a golf handicap. The classification will NOT go DOWN unless you petition them for a change (very little chance that will happen). Also you get different classifications for mid-range (600 and shorter distances) and long range (Palma and 1,000 yard) SO if you shoot both you will have two classifications and rounds shot for one do not apply to the pother for classification or reclassification.

I can tell you that X rounds to reclassify is not necessarily accurate. I shot several matches with no changes in my classification, and then got 2 upgrades / changes in 3 months; based on round count that was NOT possible.

Jeffvn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> SO if you shoot both you will have two classifications and rounds shot for one do not apply to the pother for classification or reclassification.

I can tell you that X rounds to reclassify is not necessarily accurate. I shot several matches with no changes in my classification, and then got 2 upgrades / changes in 3 months; based on round count that was NOT possible.

Jeffvn </div></div>

So, for the two disciplines you speak of you cannot use the classification from one for the other. However, for XC HP you CAN use your smallbore classification for your first HP match, so your statement is not universal for ALL NRA disciplines.

On the second point above, it does not have anything to do with when you shoot and in what order. It has to do with 1) when the match director sends in the scores, and 2) when and the order in which the NRA processes them.

You are only able to change classifications yourself when using the temporary scorebook. Once the NRA classifies you, your new classification takes effect when the NRA TELLS YOU it takes effect, which is based on when the scores are sent in and when they are processed.

As a match director, your "contract" with the NRA says you'll send in scores within 30 days of the conclusion of the match. Reality is a different story. I've seen some clubs take a year to turn in scores.

I posted verbatim text from the rulebook on classification and re-classification, both up and down, in the link above. Not sure why so many people are averse to just reading the goddamed rulebook.