• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F Class Competition - Guy beside me was dry firing 3 times before each round

steinmaster

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I attended an F Class competition yesterday. The guy next to me was dry firing 3 times between each round he fired. Does anyone know why you would do this?

I dry fire before live fire to make sure I am set correctly and on target. If I move off center target I dry fire until I am solid and on point. It helps and saves ammo. If you are jerking or not loading the bipod (my biggest errors) you will see the rifle move when dry firing. I don't know why someone would need to dry fire three times before each shot but whatever works for you.

I believe in dry firing as much as the next guy, but that seems awfully excessive to me. The only time I will dry fire at all after I've started shooting is if there's a long interruption for some reason, or if I am having an obvious problem that I need to straighten out.

I attended an F Class competition yesterday. The guy next to me was dry firing 3 times between each round he fired. Does anyone know why you would do this?

You need to concentrate on what you are doing. The shooter next to you is a distraction. Dry firing confirms smooth trigger control and proper adjustment of NPA but this exercise is practiced during the preparation period not during record fire, if the shooter wants to capitalize on a prevailing wind.

^ Exactly! Most of my errors are from missing the wind changes, not from proper trigger control or npa.