• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F-Class scope selection

Douglasalways

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
OH
Im just getting into long range shooting. Im going to purchace a Rem 700 in 308 and put a McMillian stock on it. I've shot a friends' rifle with this set up and love it. My problem is I need a scope that will hold up to the recoil and will still have enough magnification to get me out to 1000-1200 yards. My friend have a Nightforce 12-42, which btw is AMAZING, but I cant do $1800 on a scope. Any suggestions?

Re: F-Class scope selection

spend enough time on here and you'll find some great deals on used nightforce scopes for about 1200-1300 or if 1k is what you want the rig for consider a fixed leupold comp model they usually can be had for under a grand

A 3.5x 15 will do the job. Most of the time with higher mag. You will not use it. 10x will go out to 1000 yards. SWFA I think had mark 4 s on sale for like 700.
Look on the Optics section on the hide. You should be able to pick up a deal. Good luck

Sightron SIII 8-32x56 for around $850 would be your best bet. it has amazing glass 1/4 minute clicks and I use it regularly out to 1000 in F class competition, have had zero issues and it tracks perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the time with higher mag. You will not use it. </div></div>

My scopes stay on max magnification 99% of the time. I turn them down more often due to losing contrast on dark days than I ever do for mirage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10x will go out to 1000 yards. SWFA I think had mark 4 s on sale for like 700.</div></div>

If you are getting the scope for F-class as the primary use, I'd say a Mk4 is a waste. That scope's forte is being GI-proof, with gobs of elevation for ultra long range.

If you can't spend the coin on a new NF 12-42x, consider waiting for a used one to come up - 8-32x BR models come up relatively cheap from time to time.

If you can't afford a used NF or can't wait, consider one of the newer Sightron SIII scopes - haven't put one thru the wringer yet personally, but I haven't seen much in the way of negative feedback on them and the folks I see at matches with them seem pretty happy so far.

If you can't afford an SIII, consider a Weaver T24 or T36. The 1" tube means you'll almost certainly need a canted scope base and/or Burris Signature Zee rings to get everything lined up with enough elevation for 1k and plenty of windage on both sides. Then again, thats pretty much the setup I use with a NF 12-42x BR. The Weaver has 1/8 moa clicks and is a fixed power scope... the glass isn't top shelf (given what it costs, not a huge surprise) but the ones I have track very repeatably, which is worth a considerable amount in this sport.

A few years back an experience F-Class shooter (hint: one of the senior 'management' on the U.S. F-Open team) told me that he'd used a Weaver T24 for years before going to NF, and that for his money, there wasn't much in between worth using (specifically I'd been asking about Leupold's Vari-X III LR/T models at the time). Being hard headed I of course had to go the Leupold route myself, and to keep it short after a while I sold all my Leupolds and started buying Nightforce. Got a couple Weaver T24s kickin' around for backup scopes or for secondary rifles.

Some folks can do exceptionally well with low magnification and/or a coarse reticle. I like lots of magnification and as fine of a reticle as I can get away with - my eyes ability to see the crosshairs nice-n-sharp against the black target center seems to be the limiting factor for me. Mirage is wind you can see - reducing the magnification to where you don't see the mirage any more doesn't mean that it went away, or that the wind isn't still doing weird crap out there - it just means you can't see it any more. Sometimes and places the mirage does get so bad that you just have to turn things down a bit to get *any* target definition. But routinely running at less than max power seems to me like the proverbial one-legged man in an a$$-kickin' contest...

YMMV,

MOnte

I agree with Monte. The only time I turn down my Nightforce is to find my target when I am setting up. I am also running a Sightron 10-50 on a 7mm RSAUM. I have no complaints.

I noticed nobody brought up burris. I shot a black diamond variable 32x and it was a lot of scope for the money imo.

I will give a nod to weaver. I shoot a weaver now. It is a really good scope for the money.

I always found myself shooting F-class at about 20 to 25 power, many times I found mirage to be difficult to see through above those powers. Used Leupold's and Nightforce by the way.

JM2C

started with the SWFA SS 20X but the reticle is too thick for my taste and f class shooting, went with the sightron SIII 8-32 fine crosshair and love it, it also saved me a bunch of cash compared to the nightforce.

If F-Class is going to be your “Bread & Butter”,

MAGNIFICATION,
You can always back a 32 or 42 power scope back down, but you obviously can’t magically make a 10 or 20 power scope go any higher. Look at who is shooting and winning in F-Class Matches, they are running a 32 power scope or higher, not a 10 power scope. There is a reason for that, aim small and miss small!

MANUFACTURERS,
Nightforce – for F-Class, check out the Benchrest Models versus the NXS Models. They are more “economical”, retail on a new one is in the $1,200-$1,300 range, and if you look long and hard enough you can find a used one in the $1k range. Nightforce has a lifetime warranty, and I have never had an issue buying a used one. The Benchrest also has the 1/8 MOA adjustments which is nice for fine tuning. I have been running an 8-32 NXS for F-Class, but I am looking at replacing it with a 12-42 Benchrest for the reasons mentioned above.

Sightron – I questioned these scopes at first, then I talked to some record holding shooters with a lot of match wins under their belts, and they said they were a great alternative to the higher end optics. Given a price in the $700-$900 range, they would save you a couple of hundred dollars. They have both 1/4 and 1/8 MOA adjustment models, a number of reticles, and magnification options of 24, 32, and 50 power. They also carry a lifetime warranty.

Weaver – I have no personal experience with them, but I can remember seeing plenty of them in older magazines and match bulletins. Seems like some positive feedback on them, but I would probably lean towards saving up the extra money and going with something a little higher up the chain.

RETICLE,
IMHO, this really comes down to personal preference. I know shooters who use a Cross Hair, Target Dot, and plenty of others. I would really recommend that you get behind as many different reticles as you can looking at a F-Class Target at 1,000 yards and see if you have a preference for one or another.

F-CLASS versus TACTICAL
If you are also going to consider getting into any “tactical shooting”, then you a talking about a very different set of parameters for a scope choice. Then things like 1/8 MOA adjustments don’t make any sense, and things like high speed turrets start making sense. Your Reticle choice will also become more critical for your range finding capability.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD669</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sightron SIII 8-32x56 for around $850 would be your best bet. it has amazing glass 1/4 minute clicks and I use it regularly out to 1000 in F class competition, have had zero issues and it tracks perfectly. </div></div>

+1

Most of the competitors at the matches recently have been shooting SIII's and NF.

The 12-42 NF BR is the scope to get. If you get something cheaper, you will eventually look through another shooter's scope at a match. This will lead to you buying one, so just save a little extra money, or check out the classifieds on here and accurate shooter.

Agree with Ryan. I used to use 25x Leupolds and thought it was good but then found myself secretly coveting the NF and USO on the line. 25x just isn't good enough, not if you want to win. Trust the advice here, many of us have been there done that. Get the 12-42x and don't look back. You WILL need a canted base...the higher power has less elevation. Then you'll be up there with the other guys.

Hey thanks a lot guys. I'm not going to be purchacing the scope until spring, but I'm trying to get an idea of what I need. As far as the problem with mirage, I've noticed the high mags make it difficult for target aquisition, but quickly figured out how to fix the problem.