• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition F Class scope

mrbig

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
Pleasant Shade ,Tn 37145
I figured I would get better feed back here as most scope discussion in the scope section is on tactical shooting,,is the Leupold Competition 40x45 1/8th dot 1/8th clix serviceable in 600-800 yard FClass shooting,,I am yet to shoot a target but have a load worked for my new heavy 6.5x47 and have this scope available and just looking to try this type shooting,,just looking through it is impressive to my eyes,,I can see things with it that is impossible with a 5.5-22 NF,,the tracking is what I wonder about?? any body use one enough to say it sux or is a decent scope????

I haven't used that scope personally, but I shot my first season with a fixed Sightron SII 36x (a $425 scope) and it was fine. I now shoot a Nightforce competition. There is definitely more difference between the two in cost than performance. Maybe a point or two over a whole day's shooting if I'm being generous. The Nightforce is wonderful, clear, solid, and does all the small things right, but I don't think the scope is most important piece of gear by a long shot once you're in the right ballpark (30-40x, turret knobs, etc). Even tracking doesn't matter - that's what sighters are for.

In other words, I'd be shocked it that wasn't a perfectly good scope for F class. Since you've got it, use it with confidence.

The only drawback would be on a heavy mirage day the fixed power of that scope may hinder your visibility of the target.

I have a line on a used 10x50 Sightron for what I think is a very good price.... BUT.... it's a target dot.... I want to end up shooting F-class, is a Mil-Dot better scope for F-class... or should I just wait and get what I want....????

I have a line on a used 10x50 Sightron for what I think is a very good price.... BUT.... it's a target dot.... I want to end up shooting F-class, is a Mil-Dot better scope for F-class... or should I just wait and get what I want....????

Are you talking about the 10-50 variable power or is this a fixed power scope? 10X is not enough power at 600 yards for most guys whether you dial or hold off during the match. Several of the guys I shoot with use Sightron variable scopes with target dot for competitions with great results. A first focal plane mil-dot scope is not necessary (in most cases not wanted) for known distance F-class style shooting where you will have wind flags.

Are you talking about the 10-50 variable power or is this a fixed power scope? 10X is not enough power at 600 yards for most guys whether you dial or hold off during the match. Several of the guys I shoot with use Sightron variable scopes with target dot for competitions with great results. A first focal plane mil-dot scope is not necessary (in most cases not wanted) for known distance F-class style shooting where you will have wind flags.

It's the 10-50x50?? variable power scope... seller want 750.00 for it and has about 100 of .223 on it.... I might go ahead and snag it...

the scope is very nice and I finally have a decent load for the 6.5x47 shooting the 130 VLD at 3,000 fps,,when I pick the conditions and shoot late in the day or on darkish cloudy days I can shoot around 2 inches at 600 yards,,in the heat of the day in full sun the mirage is just unbearable,,when there is enough wind I can shoot and hold decent groups but when it is calm with the mirage just boiling straight up the target bounces around so bad the crosshairs will get out in the white at times,,I cant afford the big NF variable scopes so I am kinda torn between the Sightron and new 8-40 Burris,,I really like the reticle and the whole Burris scope concept,but am kinda leery of any new product without a proven track record,,

it will take my a few months to save the cash so maybe there will be more field use info on the Burris by then,,