• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

F T/R Competition F-Class shoots in Michigan

SSG3K

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 31, 2003
    Mi
    Washtenaw, Midland and Cadillac all host F/TR and F-open matches during the summer months. I have been known to shoot a few of them.

Rich

Re: F-Class shoots in Michigan

I'm trying for Grayling and Cadillac this summer, it's just a matter of if the leave gets approved or not. How are the midland matches Justin? I wasn't aware of them until this thread.

I'll be in Cadillac this weekend. What time does it start and cost? The website isn't terribly descriptive.

I haven't had a chance to shoot a match at Midland, but, I have watched one there and have shot at the range. The match was nice, very skilled competitors. Several of the shooters offered up spotting scopes so us spectators could see the hits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be in Cadillac this weekend. What time does it start and cost? The website isn't terribly descriptive.</div></div>

Send me your email and I will get you all the information. Or email Bob Lorenz ([email protected]) to get on the mailing list.

The e-mail I received says the Cadillac match is $30. for non Cadillac Sportsman Club members. I will be at there Sunday for my first, ever match. In fact I've never shot over 200 yards before. I hope to learn a lot from you guys. Reigistration starts at 7:30 am and shooting at 9.

If you'd like, tell Bob to squad you with me and I'll work with you durring the match. Make sure you bring plenty of ammo, food and water. Bob runs a top notch match, Cadillac is one of the best ranges around.

Al Walewski

Fun day - bunch of good shooters there. It was humbling for me! It was cool to see Bryan Litz shoot a 595-35x with a Palma rifle.

Cadillacs range was nicely set up. I think us Washtenaw guys will be tuning up our pits this summer!

Sounds like fun guys. I had to miss the match but I will hopefully be at the next one. I finally got my new rifle completed. I was unaware that Bryan Litz attended events up here!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cadillacs range was nicely set up. I think us Washtenaw guys will be tuning up our pits this summer!</div></div>.

You guys COULD get rid of those massive target carriers....
    grin.gif
    Dang things are strong enough to lift a house.

Usually you'll run into Bryan at Cadillac, Camp Grayling and Midland, depending on his schedule.

There's a match at Midland (3X600) this Saturday if anyone is interested.

I may be game for the match in Midland this saturday. I did some testing with my rifle today before the rain came in and it shot 2-3 shot groups that were .24 inches and .20 inches. I think I am ready to go.

Cadillac was my first ever match. Had a blast. Great bunch of guys, and I learned a lot, escpecially not to change loads ( I ran out of my preferred load) in the middle of the last relay! That really fudged me up, lol. Anyway, I want to thank the guys who offered tips and pointers.

If you need more information about the Cadillac, Michigan matches e-mail me. Bob Lorenz [email protected]

This weekend, June 11-12, 2011 we had a decent turnout for both the across the course match on Saturday and the mid range 3x600 on Sunday. 22 shooters each day. Jim Collins was the overall winner for the Across the course match on Saturday. Pete Church was the overall winner for sling shooters on Sunday, Bryan Litz was second in Sling. First in F Open was Al Barnhart and First in F tr was Dave Wuethrich.

The next XTC and 3x600 Mid range match at Cadillac will be July 9 and 10. Saturday is across the course and Sunday is the mid range 3x600 yd. match. F class is very welcome on Sunday. Optical sights are welcome for the XTC match too, I have only had one shooter shoot the XTC with optical sights so far. There are some special awards for the Best off hand 200 yard shooters at the July Across the Course match on Saturday.

The August Matches are Aug. 20 and 21. On Sunday the 21st it will be a special "effing" match, no matter what class rifle you bring you will shoot on the 600 yd F center. Special awards will be given out for the different class rifles. i.e. Any/Any Rifle, Palma Rifle, Service Rifle, F Open, F tr, Junior, Senior and Grand Senior and overall best score no matter what class rifle you used.

And the sept. matches are Sept. 17 and 18.

Bob Lorenz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like fun guys. I had to miss the match but I will hopefully be at the next one. I finally got my new rifle completed. I was unaware that Bryan Litz attended events up here! </div></div>

I know I'm late to the game, but Bryan Litz is from Michigan? Or does he just drop by to win matches from time to time?

I really need to make it a point to polish my skills and work up the courage to compete one of these days.

Come out and play. I only managed a 554 or something in Cadillac. Pretty dreadful, really, but still fun. More fun this weekend with a 570...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really need to make it a point to polish my skills and work up the courage to compete one of these days.</div></div>
    Nobody's gonna laugh at you.

I wish people would stop thinking they need to be up to some self-imposed imaginary level of skill to participate in NRA rifle competitions.

So long as you are safe and semi competent behind a rifle and can follow directions in the pits to quickly learn how to service target, you are GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I know I'm late to the game, but Bryan Litz is from Michigan? Or does he just drop by to win matches from time to time?

</div></div>

Not certain. I mailed a check for his book to Cedar Springs MI, and he has participated in matches at WSC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proneshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really need to make it a point to polish my skills and work up the courage to compete one of these days.</div></div>
    Nobody's gonna laugh at you.

I wish people would stop thinking they need to be up to some self-imposed imaginary level of skill to participate in NRA rifle competitions.

So long as you are safe and semi competent behind a rifle and can follow directions in the pits to quickly learn how to service target, you are GTG. </div></div>

+1.

You're dealing with your own kind here. Just show up, let them know you're a new guy and ask for clarification on anything your not comfortable with. Shooters are more than happy to welcome newb's into their ranks; more-so than the internet forums might imply.

If you're in Michigan, look up the match schedules and PM me if you can make one of the matches. If I can't make it, I'll probably be able to arrange a POC for you ahead of time.

Dive in!

-Bryan
    (from Michigan)

I think I'll make an attempt at being at the Cadillac match July 10th, but I need some more information.

I'd like to shoot my 6XC off of a Cadwell rest. Would this put me in the F - Open class? What class is the 3x600 that is shot at Cadillac?

What's the complete course of fire?

Also, I've never shot a match past 200 yards, so this will be somewhat new to me, but I'm not a complete newb. I've shot smallbore, ARA, IPSC, and a CMP qualify match at 200 with an M1 Garand. I've been on the line before, and I've worked the pits a few times, so I don't think my lack of knowledge will be holding anyone up.

I am interested also. What rifles do you guys shoot? I sold my 308, which means I need to buy/build one. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I'll make an attempt at being at the Cadillac match July 10th, but I need some more information.
    <span style="color: #FF0000">See answers in red </span>

I'd like to shoot my 6XC off of a Cadwell rest. Would this put me in the F - Open class?
    <span style="color: #FF0000">Yes</span>

What class is the 3x600 that is shot at Cadillac?
    <span style="color: #FF0000">If it's like most other NRA mid range prone matches, there will be the following classes: Service Rifle, Any Rifle (which means match/palma rifles shot with a coat and sling), F/TR, and F/Open.</span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Three strings of fire as follows: 3 minute prep period, two sighters in 2 minutes, 20 shots for record in 20 minutes. Pit rotation as required.</span>

Also, I've never shot a match past 200 yards, so this will be somewhat new to me, but I'm not a complete newb.
    <span style="color: #FF0000">6XC is pretty popular so someone will have come ups for it that will get you on paper. I'm sure if you need one or two more sighters that can be accomodated.</span>

I've shot smallbore, ARA, IPSC, and a CMP qualify match at 200 with an M1 Garand. I've been on the line before, and I've worked the pits a few times, so I don't think my lack of knowledge will be holding anyone up.
    <span style="color: #FF0000">You're GTG</span></div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I'll make an attempt at being at the Cadillac match July 10th, but I need some more information.

I'd like to shoot my 6XC off of a Cadwell rest. Would this put me in the F - Open class? What class is the 3x600 that is shot at Cadillac?

Also, I've never shot a match past 200 yards, so this will be somewhat new to me, but I'm not a complete newb. I've shot smallbore, ARA, IPSC, and a CMP qualify match at 200 with an M1 Garand. I've been on the line before, and I've worked the pits a few times, so I don't think my lack of knowledge will be holding anyone up. </div></div>

In Cadillac, they give you unlimited sighters - so you should have no trouble. A quick consultation with a ballistics software will get you at least into the black, and you can sight in from there. No big deal!

Its a fun time, only negative is that it's pretty hard on barrels!

Thinking I'm going to make it for the July match in Cadillac. Half moa X at 600yds is pretty small with a fixed 10X scope but it should be fun either way. Hope to see you guys there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">only negative is that it's pretty hard on barrels! </div></div>
    Aw come on....barrels are like cleaning patches: consumables!
    grin.gif

From what I hear, Bob is going to run a block time for the rest of the matches this year. So you combine the total time allowed for a pair of shooters and run with it. As a pair you can decide who shoots first, your not tied to relay one shooting first. You can put the fast shooter up first and have the slow shooter follow or reverse the pattern, just keep an eye on the clock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ300MAG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I hear, Bob is going to run a block time for the rest of the matches this year. So you combine the total time allowed for a pair of shooters and run with it. As a pair you can decide who shoots first, your not tied to relay one shooting first. You can put the fast shooter up first and have the slow shooter follow or reverse the pattern, just keep an eye on the clock. </div></div>

Will I be paired with someone else if I show up alone? What's the benefit of doing it in block time versus each mann for himself?

I will be at the Cadillac July 10th match. This will be my first match ever and with my new 260AI build! Looking forward to it!!! PM me. I'm young and need Fclass guidance.

Justin

Yes, you will be paired up with someone who will score for you and also work togeather in the pits. Bob runs a four relay match.

With block time a pair of shooters gets 50 minutes to shoot their match. Matches run faster and get done earlier when run that way. Block time includes prep time, so if you shoot first you need to get your gear off the line quickly so your next shooter has enough time to set up. Another benefit, I shoot fast. So if I finish under 20 minutes (prep time included) it leaves my partner plenty of time for his string.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stiggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Will I be paired with someone else if I show up alone? What's the benefit of doing it in block time versus each mann for himself?</div></div>
    It will all make more sense once you see it all for yourself.

Hi,
    Block time gets the match done just about an hour earlier, that is the benifit for the shooters who have a long drive back home.

But don't worry I will not rush you, I will make sure you have enough time to get off your shots.

If you and your partner find you both have enough room on your firing point you may both set up your gear on the line and at the time you change shooters you can just get down into your already set up shooting mat. Our positions are eight feet wide.

You will be squadded with another single shooter when you show up alone, if we have an odd number, we will provide a score keeper for you. You will pull targets by yourself but our target carriers work real easy and if it is your first time I wll ask an experienced shooter to move over and pull with you until you catch on to the system, takes about five minutes to learn.

Any more questions feel free to e-mail me:
    [email protected]

Bob Lorenz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be at the Cadillac July 10th match. This will be my first match ever and with my new 260AI build! Looking forward to it!!! PM me. I'm young and need Fclass guidance.

Justin </div></div>

Justin,
    Looking forward to meeting you at the July 10 match. Just be at the squadding at about 0800 hrs and tell me this is your first match and we will do our best to squad you with an experienced shooter. You will see it is all pretty simple. I do allow unlimited sighters so bring extra ammo if you think you will need it.

e-mail me if you have any questions.
    [email protected]

Bob Lorenz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ300MAG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quarter a point this match?
    grin.gif

Are you comming down to Midland for the fullbore match? </div></div>

Al, I am planning on it, my wife is in the hospital again, but doing better so.......if nothing else goes wrong I hope to make the fullbore match. Hey the Cpap machine is helping her a lot.

Bob L.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ300MAG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quarter a point this match?
    grin.gif

Are you comming down to Midland for the fullbore match? </div></div>

Oh, almost forgot, quarter a point, ok but don't you owe me 35 cents or something from a past match Ha ha

For everyone else, there will be a Fullbore Match at Midland on July 2nd. Course of fire includes strings fired at 300, 500 and 600 yards. F-Class will shoot along side sling shooters on the appropiate F-Class targets. For more information see the match announcement at SEMNO.ORG. I'll put up a link later tonight...

Midland Match

Bob, that should be 34 cents. I spanked you at Grayling...
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ300MAG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For everyone else, there will be a Fullbore Match at Midland on July 2nd. Course of fire includes strings fired at 300, 500 and 600 yards. F-Class will shoot along side sling shooters on the appropiate F-Class targets. For more information see the match announcement at SEMNO.ORG. I'll put up a link later tonight...

Bob, that should be 34 cents. I spanked you at Grayling...
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

Crap, that is right you whooped me by a point! You got me fired up now, ha ha.
    Bob

Hi guys, I went around the net last night looking for a full size MR-1F target to print off and couldn't find anything besides ordering some pre-printed ones. So I ended up making my own today and savin it off as a PDF that you can print full scale if you can find someplace that can do it. I have a plotter at work so it isn't a big deal. I also inverted the Black/White to conserve ink. It looks like this.
    MR-1FC.jpg

I tried to upload it to photobucket as a pdf but it wouldnt let me. If you are interested just let me know and I will email it to you. I plotted it full scale and it all measures correctly. Just print it out on as large a piece of paper you can. It is set up to print 36" X 36".
    Now all I need is range time to try it out.

Roll Call - who's heading up (or down) to Midland Saturday? I'll be there, looking forward to puting some names with faces.

I'll be there...

Busy before the match setting up the range and getting targets pasted and ready to go. Hope we'll get a chance to chat either durring or after the match.

There is also an inaugural match Sunday at the new 600 yard range that is finished at Iosco County Sportman's Club (Oscoda). They plan on holding a couple more 3X600 matches this season.

I unfortunately will have to miss this one, I have a wedding to attend. But in better news, got my 600 yard match load almost worked up. Shot a .56 inch group during a ladder test at 300 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in for July 10th. I'll be the Noob wandering around looking lost. </div></div>

I will be that guy right along with you.

I am planning to be to Midland on Saturday and Iosco on Sunday.
    I think I remember you, SpiritZeroThree, I am thinking you are the "Coasty" that shot pretty doggone good at the 1000 yd matches last season at Camp Grayling.

See you Saturday

Bob L.

P.S. to the New guys coming to Cadillac on the 10th, not to worry, we are friendly and will keep you going in the right direction. Best to be at Registration by about 08:10 hrs so we can put you with a seasoned shooter if you want and give you a choice of shooting first or going to the pits first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boblor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planning to be to Midland on Saturday and Iosco on Sunday.
    I think I remember you, SpiritZeroThree, I am thinking you are the "Coasty" that shot pretty doggone good at the 1000 yd matches last season at Camp Grayling.

See you Saturday

Bob L.

P.S. to the New guys coming to Cadillac on the 10th, not to worry, we are friendly and will keep you going in the right direction. Best to be at Registration by about 08:10 hrs so we can put you with a seasoned shooter if you want and give you a choice of shooting first or going to the pits first.
    </div></div>

Yep, that was me Bob. That was my first time out to 1000, hoping to do a bit better this year. I'm planning on being in Cadillac on the 10th as well, MAYBE Iosco sunday, depends on how i feel after the midland trip saturday.