• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F class

hank440

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2009
Gambrills. MD
Guys,

I bought a Savage F/TR with the 30" barrel, does this rifle really need all 30" to be competitive or can I chop off 4-5" ?

Re: F class

eek.gif
getting it into the rifle case that I already own without buying a new one
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
eek.gif
getting it into the rifle case that I already own without buying a new one
shocked.gif
</div></div>

A quality cut and crown will run you more than a new case.

Fess up, you just want to drink the latest "shorter is better" koolaid, which has its applications in working rifles, but not in an F/TR rig........

cut a hole in the case and wrap a plastic bag around the muzzle and wrap it with a rubber band. Problem solved! Just don't damage the crown in transport.

My 30" barreled Palma rifle, with front site sunshade that extends past the muzzle, fits in the $20 double rifle case they sell at Wal Mart.

Just hack it with a hack saw and crown it with a file. Just ask Larry Potterfield, "That's the way it is..."

Baer

NO not yet, I was joking about chopping it, the dang thing barely fits into my safe. It's at the smith being timed and trued, I'm working OT to afford a Nightforce Benchrest scope for it,so with any luck by spring it will make it to Quantico.

Look for a hard case that's intended for trap guns. My 28" barrel and 16.5" LOP fits inside a 52" hard shotgun case with an inch or two to spare.

Circumcising a Long Range Match barrel on a $1200+ rifle simply to fit a rifle case is not a good idea, methinks.

PS Oops, missed the humor. Ar.., Ar...

I do not think 30 inches is enough. I welded another 6 inches to mine, and got another 300 fps.