• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ghorsley

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
Georgia
There are lots of places to go for sniper training, however can anyone recommend a course/ school that emphasizes wind reading and trigger pulling for someone trying to get better at F/FTR competitions.

thanks, Gil Horsley

Re: F/FTR Training

My first assumption is that such events are accessible to you.

My first suggestion would be to attend an event as an observer.

You will be able to see what's involved, and can perhaps open dialogues with participants if they re not actively engaged in either prep or actually competing.

My approach to this is immersion. The first few times through would be dedicated to developing a routine, with scores being rather far down on the list of priorities. That comes later.

Event fees can be a lot more affordable than class fees. There is no requirement that one hits the first event as a front runner. Pretty nearly all of us paid our newbie dues by simply showing up, watching and listening; monkey see, monkey do.

Greg

If you are looking for a "how to shoot F/FTR class", then Greg hit the nail on the head. No need to pay for what you can get for free.

If you are looking for marksmanship class, look deeper than the name of the class. A lot of these tactical classes focus on basic marksmanship at the beginning levels. It's the more advanced classes that get into things that wouldn't be your focus (positional, speed, etc). Call some of the training outfits near you, they might be able to put something together for you, too.

Thanks. I've been scoring and pulling targets at my range and as soon as I get my rifle back will start shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrHiggins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. I've been scoring and pulling targets at my range and as soon as I get my rifle back will start shooting. </div></div>

Competitions serve to test and celebrate skill. Competitions reward those who have practiced. But, competitions are not a substitute for either practice or training. Complicating things is that some participate in competitions not to learn, test, or celebrate, but rather, to prove their skill. My advice, first learn what's important to good shooting, practice, and then compete to get a sense of your standing. From there, shooting to the highest plateaus will be about improvement through focused practice schedules.

So, here's the rub, where do you go to learn what's important to good shooting? Perhaps, pack your bags and attend this year's rifle phase of Small Arms Firing School July 27, 28 and 29 at Camp Perry. This Service Rifle class, taught by the United States Army Marksmanship Unit, will get you off to a good start for most any shooting discipline, providing a basis of understanding to make your self directed practice a meaningful experience.

It's not uncommon for state rifle & pistol associations to have an organized High Power Rifle program that coordinates the various events in that state - everything from the club-level matches to state and regional championships. Odds are fair that some range in the state will have a couple clinics during the year - and one of them will probably be a basic wind reading event. The only caveat that I would mention is that in order to give people a chance to dip their toes gently in the kiddie pool, sometimes the clinics end up at ranges where a full minute of windage @ 600yds is a 'gusty' day. Still, its good experience.

I'd second Greg's suggestion... get out to matches ASAP. Shooting in different conditions at different places, and chatting up the more experienced shooters between relays and in the pits is probably one of the better ways to gain experience. Unless its a big regional or national level event, I approach every match as though its just another practice session - albeit with some competition to keep you workin' for it
wink.gif