• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

F T/R Competition F T/R bipod limitations?

BigtimeAub

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2011
Auburn, AL
This may seem a little silly, but are there any limitations on bipods? I guess I'm mostly curious about the feet and what is and isn't allowed.

Re: F T/R bipod limitations?

There are limitations on what sort of "support" you can put under your bipod, but surprisingly few limitations on the bipod itself. Ive seen anything from 4# monsters out of Canada to 5-6oz one-piece carbon fiber constructs. That's the beauty of the 18.15 lb. weight limit, it encourages people to branch out and try new equipment. If you want a 4# pod, you need to run something else lighter, it's all a balancing act, and encourages development.

Some things that would NOT be allowed: anything that restrains your bipod feet, or channels their recoil path (as we have seen on the line on occasion).

Darrell

So I wouldn't be able to run a bipod with teeth on the feet? Not necessarily spikes, but just some teeth to grab the turf.

I've read those rules many times over and I don't see anything that references claw feet directly relating to F T/R, only the spiked tripod in Open Class, which is why I'm asking here. I was just hoping that someone may have personal knowledge or experience with this issue and would be kind enough to share.

usually peoe want the bipod to side like BR gun would do, any uneven gripping by the feet could iduce inaccuracies. I've honestly never seen caw feet at match

If you're talking about "pod-claws", or similar, I can't think that people would have a problem with them. As XTR states though, it wouldn't likely be an accuracy aid though!

Darrell

I think that if the feet penetrate the ground, then you will have problems (such as spikes). I have also heard that claws are not allowed. I am pretty relaxed, and I don't worry about the other guys bipod or other possible advantages. I shoot against myself, and work on bettering my scores. There is always "that guy" though, who will complain about everything

Any spikes used to penetrate the ground cannot exceed 2", and they cannot tear up the shooting mound. I am currently using triple claws on my Harris bipod. The claws are about 1/4 to 3/8" long. They are ideal for using in the turf. Much tougher to use on the gravel mounds. They are ideal for the shooter that does not want his bipod to slide on recoil. Also, with your bipod feet secured it is less likely that your next shot will be a crossfire. But that's a different discussion.

There are several ways for the rifle to be accurate
1. It recoils the same path everytime which is easiest to set up, by sliding on a piece of carpet of plastic.
2. The bipod is dug into place so it is a solid set up. This is the one I prefer but find many ranges it just wont work because of the mounds not holding up when you load the bi[pod for shot after shot. Works for a few rds but comes apart and then you have movement which hurts the idea of a solid set up

i use a basic harris bipod and a midway shooting mat and just slide the legs into the webbing that is at the top it seems to hold just fine when i load the bipod.