• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F the PR of WA

rdgshooteer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2006
Lewistown, PA
I officially am fed up with the People's Republic of Washington State. I contacted an FFL dealer to find out about transfer fees for having the rifle I had built shipped while depolyed. I was told its 35 for the transfer plus you now have to pay the 9.8% WA state sales tax on any firearm sent into Washington state regardless if you have owned it or just bought it. I was told the law was passed in the last year. I wonder if this applies to all out of state sales or its just the state trying to discourage people from buying firearms. I am so glad I am leaving this state in a few weeks. New York is looking better and better now since I only be 5 hours away from home in PA and can buy anything I want and keep it in PA and enjoy it on my off time.

Rant off

Re: F the PR of WA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">box up, triger,bolt,stock - ship parts
box up, barreled action - ship repair / painting </div></div>

Pat,I see you have it down !!! Vee Haff Our Vays Here .........

It isn't gonna stop in this Liberal Hellhole any time soon,the more they take,the more they spend.BTW,state sales tax is not 9.8%,state is 8%,the rest is local.

As far as better in New York ? I don't think so..........

how can they make you pay tax on something you already own? Did I read that right? Something about interstate commers that prevents that stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how can they make you pay tax on something you already own? Did I read that right? Something about interstate commers that prevents that stuff. </div></div>

That is what I said exactly,it is called a "USER TAX" and they are forcing the FFL's to collect it with ATF cooperation or so I've been told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Pat M said:
box up, triger,bolt,stock - ship parts

As far as better in New York ? I don't think so.......... </div></div>

Sandrat I had never thought about the individual shipping of pieces. The only reason I am saying NY will be better is because Ill be five hours from home in Pennsylvania and Ill probably do a good amount of shooting in PA so it wont be that big of deal. Thanks for the tip though

Arctic Light Ill give Russ I call tomorrow thanks for that. I called a few local to me today and they all said the same thing regarding the tax thing. Im not sure about shipping it to me directly as I have never had the action transferred to me yet.

Have the same thing here in Cali. I am an East coaster by birth and the Navy moved me out here. I bought a TRG-22 from Alex Roy at Euro Optic. Imagine my surprise when the dealer that transfered the firearm asked for around 250 dollars in tax PLUS 65 dollars in transfer fees. I was NOT happy.

Josh

Quick qusestion, How do they know how much the rifle cost you?

9.5% of $1 would be a decent way out anyway.

A rifle you had built would be a new rifle. You did not pay sales tax on this new rifle so they are charging sales tax.

IF you owned the receiver on which it was built then you should not have had to pay tax or go through an FFL for that matter as you can ship direct to an ffl and receive a firearm you own from one.

This is not specific to firearms but its easy to collect on them since they apply pressure to the dealers to collect the tax. Technicaly you should be paying on shit purchased from Ebay but how do they enforce that? They will get you on vehicles when registering too.

I too think its a garbage tactic but its not an anti gun thing.

Assuming you are at Ft Lewis (or JBLM?) Dennis Brush is an awsome smith pretty close to you in Kent wa, should have my latest done as soon as McM ships my F-ing stock.

I like flyboys idea. Send a check to your gunsmith for 99% of the cost for "Services." Have him bill you the other 1% for the rifle. As the days pass, the more I realize there is nothing in WA worth moving there for.

They have to go by book value on Firearms unless you can show a receipt or proof of a trade.You can transfer a Vehicle by filling out a "Gift" document which avoids the sales tax.DK if you can say the person out of state is a relative and a firearm is a Gift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A rifle you had built would be a new rifle. You did not pay sales tax on this new rifle so they are charging sales tax.
</div></div>

I have two rifles that were built by a gunsmith in which I bought the parts and had him blueprint and put it together after buying all the pieces...

You can buy rifles across state lines, have the rifle sent to Oregon or Idaho and tell Washington to pound sand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can buy rifles across state lines, have the rifle sent to Oregon or Idaho and tell Washington to pound sand. </div></div>

that's what I was thinking too.

Isn't this the same state that lets you own suppressors but not use them?

Flyboy,

The way my dealer knew how much the gun cost was due to the invoice inside the box. Never ran into that problem back in Virginia...

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't this the same state that lets you own suppressors but not use them? </div></div>

Yep,it is considered a Dangerous Weapon,just have to use commonsense,if you are stupid enough to show up at a public range with one or go hunting with one that is asking for trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two rifles that were built by a gunsmith in which I bought the parts and had him blueprint and put it together after buying all the pieces... </div></div>

If you bought the parts and paid sales tax then you should not be taxed to have hem assembled. If you bought the parts specificly the receiver from say Surgeon and had it delivered to the builder,then you would pay tax upon transfer to you.

Again I think its BS 100% but who here has purchased a custom rifle and had to pay an excise tax? That money dosnt even go to the state you reside in.

Like I said before this also applies under a different tax code to anything bought online ouf of state. With firearms they have you by the balls to collect via the FFL.

Thank You everyone it just sucks cause its just another expense I wasn't planning for. I may post pics that Mike from UGSW sent me earlier tonight of the completed rifle until I get it and can take my own.

Ca is enforcing it now too. If you can have it shipped to a relative/friend who is coming to see you and don't even register it in your name just have them loan it to you

UnF*ingBelievable. I've been waiting 2 years for a custom 1911. It is finally being finished a now I hear about this. Tax on this thing will be astronomical. I am embarrassed to do it, but maybe I can ask the 'smith to send me all the parts direct, and send the stripped frame to my FFL with an invoice for that part alone. Damn WA.

Gilgamesh that was my thoughts exactly my thoughts on the rifle. Ive decided that WA isnt going to see any of my money. I am going to either pick it up from Mike in a few weeks when I pass through Montana or just have it shipped to PA.

We need to get some spray on rust and scratch and dent decals that can be removed,buy our guns as "SALVAGE" for wall hangers and parts only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdgshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gilgamesh that was my thoughts exactly my thoughts on the rifle. Ive decided that WA isnt going to see any of my money. I am going to either pick it up from Mike in a few weeks when I pass through Montana or just have it shipped to PA.</div></div>

I hear you. Its too late, WA has already collected a ton of it (money) from me over the years. I would do the same but it is a handgun and, as far as I know, it ultimately would need to be shipped to a WA state FFL holder. Long guns can be taken at point of sale in most states. I have no other state residency.

I emailed a fellow I thought might be able to help. Basically, he has stopped doing transfers.

If this practiced is based on the Streamlined Sales Tax Project (states cooperating to collect tax on internet/interstate sales) that is on shaky legal ground and might ultimately proved unconstitutional.

I wish I had a lot of money and time; I'd hire a lawyer. But I guess, if I had a lot of money and time, I would probably not care about the tax and would spend all that time shooting my new gun. Damn.

OK Just got off the phone with my gunsmith.

what it is is just the state collecting sales tax on online purchases.

If I send my gun out for repair I do not pay tax on it - that's BS...

If I buy a gun from another state, and it's a NEW purchase, I pay tax on it, 8.6% here in Bremerton.

My smith stays aware on these things - it's just the state trying to recoup lost sales taxes from online sales.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">box up, triger,bolt,stock - ship parts

Yes - my smith also validated that.

If you buy a $3000 rifle and the action is worth $500, ship the action and pay the tax on $500, send the parts to your house.

However, Cabella's and other larger businesses ARE apparantly collecting the tax as they like to operate IN this state as well so their online is supposedly collecting sales tax now.

I find this interesting b/c I bought a pistol off of this site not but 2/3 months ago and my dealer, Axel Raven Inc, didn't charge me state sales tax. I paid the $35 transfer fee and had the 5 day wait cause I still hadn't renewed my CCP that expired.

Do you have any links to this piece of legislation?

Then again I may have just beat the effective date too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">box up, triger,bolt,stock - ship parts

Yes - my smith also validated that.

If you buy a $3000 rifle and the action is worth $500, ship the action and pay the tax on $500, send the parts to your house.

However, Cabella's and other larger businesses ARE apparantly collecting the tax as they like to operate IN this state as well so their online is supposedly collecting sales tax now. </div></div>

Cabelas HAS been collecting WA sales tax for at least 3 years that I know about(My last purchase from them,high price,S&H ridiculous,WA sales tax),any company that does business(Licensed)in WA must charge this by law,state only,not local on top of it.

I wonder if you buy from a private party you can say you already own it but your buddy could only ship to a FFL ?